“Sunday Lunch”
Review of The Swan Inn

The Swan Inn
Ranked #1 of 15 Burford B&B and Inns
Reviewed October 28, 2013

Had Sunday Lunch. The venue is great but was busy. We had not reserved a table (our fault)
and were seated at a very cheap and small table near the bar. The food was very average for a pub that looked great from the outside. Have eaten at better pubs in the Burford area.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Gary K
There are newer reviews for The Swan Inn

Reviewed October 27, 2013

Well... what can I say. This place truly is a hidden gem. Part of me really wants to let everyone know how amazing it is and another part of me is reluctant to tell anyone for fear of a mad dash and no room for me, the former can only be fair though as it is so good and due the fact that there will be a few more bedrooms soon I hope I will not be "left out in the cold".

Starting with the food.... this is excellent, everything is produced to order and flavours are sublime, Steaks (especially the Bavette) and Burgers are cooked just the way I like them and for the latter I would throughly recommend the Venison one on Burger Night (Thursdays) as it is finished off with some Oxford Blue Cheese, just lovely and real french fries on the side! Also try the Fish and Chips as the batter is to die for and if you want something a little more upmarket they have great fare for all tastes across the board including Whole Plaice, Venison and Chicken. Added to that a perfectly formed Wine List, proper local Ale and daily specials and I cannot think of anywhere better, plus if you enjoy all of that a little too much then the rooms are just super, shabby chic at its best and really comfy beds with loads of space to relax at a price that is more than reasonable.

So you're now thinking what about the service, is this also perfect I hear you say, well the simple answer is YES! Nick, Dragana and the rest of the team have a philosophy - nothing is too much trouble and I have been known to take my breakfast away with me when running late or had a mug of tea made for me prior to retiring to bed.

Quite simply, if you want great / local produce cooked really well and served by some genuinely wonderful people and you want to pay a great deal less than you would expect (typically £20-£25 per person including Wine) then get down there, although be sure to book first as I am sure you will understand this hidden gem is already pretty popular. Please save room for me though eh!

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed October 21, 2013

Great food, great staff, the rooms are comfortable, and although small, very cosy. Would peter breakfast to start earlier, especially with the little ones up at 6, 8.30 is late for us, otherwise good.
Love it here

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed October 16, 2013

We took a friend of ours to dinner and it was, quite frankly embarrassing. The restaurant was not over busy but the service was slow. We ordered drinks and waited...eventually another waitress asked if we would like drinks. We said we had ordered and she said 'perfect', again we waited. Eventually they arrived, our friend had a glass of white wine which was far from chilled and she had to ask for ice cubes. There was so much space in this "medium sized" glass that she could add three cubes easily. The food when it came was bland and very ordinary. My husband had the cassoulet, the meat and beans hadn't been introduced until they arrived on the plate, there was virtually no sauce. The meat was fatty and strong and the beans tasted as though they had been boiled. My friend and I had the mackerel fillets with beetroot. Again the food was bland, there was no dressing at all on the salad ingredients, it was totally unsatisfactory. When I was asked if everything was ok, the waitress seemed surprised when I expressed my concerns. There was no apology. The treacle tart was good, the pannacotta with ice cream was not pannacotta as we know it, it was extremely sweet custard, so thick-set that one could cut the ice cream resting on it with a spoon without making a dent. My chocolate pot was so small in quantity that it barely touched the sides. To summarise, slow, service and poor food. We will not be going back.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank Twig1234
Reviewed September 27, 2013

What a delight to find this lovely little pub. We were recommended by our accommodation in Burford. The meal was wonderful - first rate. The Brits really know how to turn on a great pub meal! The staff were fantastic - thanks for the great experience.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Stuart F
Reviewed September 23, 2013

Another superb evening at The Swan (Our Local!), Great ambience and a super meal, the steaks were excellent. We always find the staff welcoming, efficient and helpful. Nick And Dragana (The Managers) were attentive hosts as always!!

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank RICHARD H
Reviewed September 17, 2013

We had a wonderful stay at this charming old pub and inn. Rooms were clean and efficient , staff friendly and dinner and breakfast were superb! Without our GPS we would not have found you!!
Great atmosphere for our quick trip to the beautiful area!!!

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with friends
Also consider these accommodations in or near Burford
The Maytime Inn
#3 of 8 in Burford
The Slaughters Country Inn
The Slaughters Country Inn
#1 of 2 in Lower Slaughter

Been to The Swan Inn? Share your experiences!