“Lovely location but food mixed quality and expensive”
Review of The Swan Inn

The Swan Inn
Ranked #1 of 15 Burford B&B and Inns
Reviewed August 8, 2013

Only ate here for dinner and made a point of coming here as we had lunch here about 3 years ago and loved it. We were shocked at how pricey it was - and we live much nearer to London in a town known for expensive prices. I do not mind paying if the food matches the quality but it was too variable. The starter was good and flavourful but the steaks were expensive for the small amount that was delivered and not well served. Drinks were very expensive too. Service was friendly mostly but haphazard and we had to try and get attention. I do not think the pub style of dining and service matches the high prices that are charged and the expectations that these high prices set up about food quality. I think if the food and drinks had been cheaper we would have not had such high expectations of quality.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple

Reviewed July 29, 2013

I was staying in Burford, so cannot comment on the rooms here, but can attest to the wonderful food and drink! We walked to this lovely inn, and had a drink (best Chardonnay I have tasted for a long time!) and later on came back for a meal. The food was simply superb- and I don't often rave about food. The staff were lovely and friendly, and the place has a great atmosphere. Bantum chickens roam around freely, which just adds to the charm of the place. I would certainly come back. Lovely place.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Lisa S
Reviewed July 28, 2013

Arrived to meet family for an evening meal & stop over..I have to say a bit disappointed as it has had some good reviews...our room was not quite what was expected. We stayed in the 'Orchard Store 01' .. Bathroom area, WC seat not fitting, loose, & needed replacing/repairing, damaged bent metal leg on vanity unit..tap loose on basin...looked like it could have done with a good clean as well, particularly the venetian blinds.....the TV was not working properly either, Felt we had to say something as the damage was there before we arrived & we did not want them to think we had done it! When mentioned at the end of our stay, the lady said when she went to the room previously before we arrived and was aware of the bent leg etc. & the tv 'in that room is always like that there other people have had trouble' & 'they don't know how to operate the remote' .......Well fix it!!! A bit dismissive as well.... the room was £140.00 per night, would have expected it to be right.

The meal in the evening was ok but again disappointed, my wife's steak was 'very sinuey & lacked taste, mine similar, as it was a family meal did not want to cause a fuss.
Breakfast .. I had a 'full english', bacon had white brine spots on it & a bit greasy, deep fried mushrooms I think...sorry not impressed

The only saving grace was the bed ....very comfortable, quiet and a good nights sleep...we left in the morning and went on to a further night in Braintree in a 'Premier Inn' which I have to say, basic, but faultless. again a good nights sleep

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Jon G
Reviewed July 26, 2013

The location is amazing, aside a small river (maybe the Windrush) and there was lots of seating out front, across the lane near river and out in the garden.

The table was booked in the surname of the Birthday Boy – a very common, easy to spell British name. This seemed to be beyond the comprehension of the staff and we waited….and waited….until they found it on their seating plan - *AWKWARD*. We were shown to a table in the bright and airy conservatory extension – lovely. BUT it was two tables for 2 pushed together for a party of 5. We work in Financial Services so we know that 2+2 does not equal 5. They had put a chair at the end but it was absolutely not enough room for 5 people. So we asked to be moved and they happily accommodated our request.

One of my colleagues had been here previously and was refused a white wine spritzer as they claimed it would ruin the wine- so I was expecting extra snooty service. We ordered a very basic round of drinks and despite the fact I asked for “tonic with ice and lime” I was brought a glass of gin, with tonic but no lime. So, off she went to get the tonic only – and there was no lime. Argh, when a server can’t remember a tonic with ice and lime – you know it is going to be totally hopeless. We also ordered a bottle of sparkling water that was room temperature and were offered no ice. Poor.

Then a third member of staff came over to take the food order. Here’s where I have to object to this team style of service. As my colleague rightly pointed out – there is no consistency as the person delivering your food doesn’t know who ordered what and just stands there gawping while holding up a bit of salmon expecting to be told where to put it. It may seem very minor but it really disrupts any conversations that are going on and with prices at the top of the range for a pub meal (albeit a posh pub) you expect much more polished service.

I had a dressed crab that came with salad and new potatoes. There was also a type of flavoured mayonnaise that was provided but the menu failed to say what it was so I can only report that it was orange and tasted lovely. 2 Colleagues had a small steak that came with a mushroom (tiny) a seasoned tomato (grilled) and a generous portion of chips to share. Another colleague had some grilled salmon on a bed of vegetables that looked cooked to perfection.

Colleagues reported that the sticky toffee pudding was very good and I had an Affogato – no me neither. We looked it up on Google whilst we waited. Looked nothing like any pictures we saw but was very nice indeed anyway. IMHO puds at £7 were a little overpriced.

Colleague just reminded me - no one asked how our meals were, either. maybe they don't care.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed July 10, 2013

We had a family get-together for a birthday celebration and by luck chose Debo's Room, Piggery End and Orchard Store, so we ended up with a 3 bed town house with its own front door. All rooms were beautifully presented and clean.
Good food, good beer, lovely garden and even a home cricket match just over the river on the Saturday afternoon.
As others have noted, the Swan is not cheap but we would say it is very good value.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Malcolm C
Reviewed July 10, 2013

We loved the location, the pub itself is fabulous, quaint and everything you hope for on a visit to the Cotswolds. As with all pubs that have rooms the rooms are not massively huge but it was immaculate had everything you could wish for and was decorated very well. The bed was extremely comfortable and there were plenty if towells and it was peaceful. The breakfast was simply delicious with lovely touches such as regional butter and decent local ingredients - great sausages, bacon etc and freshly baked croissants. All in all our stay was fantastic and we would have loved to have been able to stay longer.

• Stayed: July 2013
Reviewed July 6, 2013

Quintessential Englishness! Beautiful positioned with local cricket pitch across the road and Burford within a 5 minute drive - or 30 mins stroll along the River Windrush! We stayed in the Orchard room which was clean and simply but tastefully furnished. All the staff were very friendly and helpful - food also fabulous (although on the dearer side ...) This was my 2nd time of staying and I would go again. It's not cheap but lovely!

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with friends