“Overpriced, pretencious and flat beer”

The Hockley Arts Club
Reserve a Table
DesignMyNight
Ranked #156 of 1,522 Restaurants in Nottingham
Description: A new creative space for social eating & drinking
Description: A new creative space for social eating & drinking
Reviewed July 21, 2019 via mobile

Been several times now and didnt enjoy either time. Its ridiculously pretentious and people seem to rave about it as its "hidden" up an alleyway.
Both times the overpriced drink i purchased was shocking. Warm / Flat.

Much prefer the Hockley Rebel bar I've found opposite the Broadway Cinema.

Date of visit: June 2019
Write a reviewReviews (504)

Reviewed July 15, 2019

he way we were greeted was rather pleasant.

We ordered drinks and a girl in blue with brunette hair and a short fringe brought our drinks up with the card machine. Instantly said 'can you guys pay right away' even though we were planning to stay for more drinks. I understand why she wanted us to pay first but the next aspect was worse. One of my three friends asked to pay by cash then she RUDELY said 'can you not pay by card' followed by 'fine, I will have to go back downstairs and get the change' in a very rude manner.

Secondly, my friend asked for a gin and tonic however was not offered whether she had a personal preference on gin, which is quite standard in a bar to be honest.

Won't be visiting again.

Reviewed July 10, 2019 via mobile

I’d read the mixed reviews of here so was a little hesitant but my stay was nothing short of amazing! The staff were friendly and helpful and though the bar upstairs was shut they were happy for me to take my drink upstairs to enjoy the beauty of the electric garden! I had a lovely cocktail and the cheese board! Best cheese board I’ve ever had! Would definitely return !

Reviewed July 4, 2019 via mobile

Love it here. This is my 3rd visit (from Derby). Cocktails are fab and the upstairs decor is gorgeous.

Reviewed June 12, 2019

Concealed down a narrow ally way off Hockley this bar/restaurant is something of a celebrity in Nottingham.

On three floors (not all of them open all of the time) the layout and decor are charming and comfortable. Staff were really friendly and offered us a free round of drinks because our food order took a while - it really wasn't that long a wait, so this was a nice touch.

The food was mediocre. The vegetarian cottage pie was the sort of thing you might expect from a frozen ready meal. Tasteless veg mince. The chicken and mushroom sauce was actually OK, until ten minutes after we left when stomach cramps and diarrhoea (sorry!) set in - the result was a day in bed and a day of complete exhaustion afterwards. I contacted the management to ask if any other diners had reported an issue with the food that night (I guess it sometimes happens and didn't want to prejudge this review). Two weeks later there has been no reply, and consequently the 1-star rating. This is a shame as the rest of the experience was good. If your customers have a violent digestive reaction after eating your food, get in contact to see if there was an issue and are ignored - sorry, but you need to sort out your customer service and terrible food.

I did think I'd go back for cocktails but.....

Oh - and don't order the Horlicks cheesecake - it isn't a cheesecake. The server pointed this out by explaining it was "deconstructed" - Really? It was, in fact, a tablespoon of quite tasty Horlicks flavoured mouse with a single Orio biscuit crushed and scattered around the plate, accompanied by a squirt of chocolate sauce. No wonder the servers have to explain that it isn't actually a cake. This is a terrible and miserable misrepresentation. How much skill do you need to crush a single Orio? Why can't you make a cake? - Deconstructing it would suggest it would have all the elements which, when joined together combined to make a cake.

It may be a 'go to' place in Nottingham, but it's looking like they need to sort out their food - take a look a the other 1 star reviews here. I so wanted this to be brilliant. It's not

Date of visit: June 2019