“Great food!”

Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed January 19, 2013

My wife and I regularly go to this restaurant. The decor is dated and shabby, and to honest the service is not consistently brilliant, but the food is really good! I would particularly recommend the steaks - cooked perfectly (I.e. if you ask for rare, it is actually cooked rare), good quality steak and the sauces are really tasty. They also do an 'early bird' menu which is good value.

If the owners happen to read this, I hope you don't think it presumptuous for me to give some advice! Your food is brilliant, but if you don't update your decor and perhaps smile a bit I think you might start to struggle to get people through your door...

2  Thank Mike T
There are newer reviews for La Capanna

Reviewed January 15, 2013

As a child, I used to visit this restaurant regularly about 17 years ago with my family. In the last few days, I've been to the big chain Italian restaurants, such as Carluccio's and Zizzi. I was about to make another visit into Nottingham city but then decided to eat slightly closer to home. La Capanna was a welcome break from the usual identikit city centre restaurants. The food was authentic Italian and pleased all of us. The decor hasnt really changed over the years, but i feel this just adds to the great 'family run' feel of the restaurant. As its January, the restaurant was extremely quiet, however, this didn't affect our dining experience. We should all eat more local to support the nicer family run restaurants.

1  Thank SunnyJ25
Reviewed January 8, 2013

We ate here a week or so ago. The waiter (?owner) was abrupt to the point of rudeness and totally ruined our time there. Food was taken away before we'd finished eating. The food was good, but didn't make up for the appalling service. Won't be going back!

2  Thank KillerQueen59
Reviewed January 3, 2013

For food 5 stars, for customer service 1, therefore overall rating has to be the average of the two making 3 star.
We have been eating here for years for one reason only, the food is delicious and there is a good choice of tasty veggie options. The early bird menu is a good deal and you get served quickly. One of the waiters is very pleasant and always serves us with a smile. The décor and furniture alongside the presentation of food is good. However here the positives end. A few reviewers have mentioned a staff member who is rude and off hand. I think he is the owner actually, and he is, almost everytime we have been here, curt and off hand. Many people whom we have taken to dine with us here have refused to go again simply because of his poor manner and attitude towards customers. Although I have noticed that to some customers he is very pleasant, probably those who come in every week! I don’t think he realises how badly he comes across especially to new customers. We put up with his attitude because we like the food so much, but if it was anywhere else I would not step over their doorstep again. There is also a female waitress who likewise has a poor attitude. Thankfully we usually get the nice waiter who makes up for the curtness of the other two. We came here for a New Years Eve meal, but never again, too crowded, and only three members of staff. Had to wait a long time to be served, did not get our drinks for a long time, when our food arrived half of it was missing, had to wait for it to be cooked while the rest of the meal got cold. Yes it was busy, but we are still paying good money and expect a better service. We were put on a table too close to the door and everytime anyone walked in or out we were blasted with cold air. But worse whilst customers were waiting by the door to be seated their backsides were just about in our faces. The tables were so tightly packed that the grumpy waitress kicked my chair every time she walked by. The amount of times she did this I began to feel it was done purposely after I had pointed out there was a floater in my glass which she loudly exclaimed was untrue. What happened to the customer is always right! However the meals, as always, were delicious, compliments to the chief, well done on such a busy night and thank you Mr nice waiter for being friendly and helpful. As to the owner I suggest he tries smiling sometimes, it doesn’t hurt, and perhaps get rid of Ms Miserable waitress, or perhaps she is his wife which might explain why she is grumpy too! These two have things to learn about customer service! So if you want service with a smile don’t go here but if good food is on your mind then I highly recommend La Capana.

Reviewed November 17, 2012

Happy owners also work front of house and kitchen which is a good way to ensure service.
The menu doesn't change but neither does it need to. A favourite of mine is one of the steaks with some pasta and sauce. Definately not how the Italians eat but the steaks are always good and I can't visit an Italian restaurant without pasta. If you fancy a different sauce with perhaps some chilli, anchovie, capers or olives it's no problem.
The kitchen is not put out by the requests for English spagetti (home made chips). A couple can enjoy sharing a portion of chips and a side salad. Some of the wines are decidedly good and not overpriced.
One of the waiters is 106 years old, or so it seems.