“Disappointed”

Ranked #120 of 1,350 Restaurants in Nottingham
Cuisines: Thai
Good for: Romantic, Special occasions, Business meetings
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Reservations
Description: Tarn Thai Restaurant, is located in the heart of the Nottingham. Our modern 100 seat restaurant creates the finest Thai food, served to the highest standards in beautiful surroundings. The great atmosphere and ambiance is matched only by the tasty, fresh Thai dishes that our genuine Thai chefs prepare daily. The restaurant is conveniently located in NG1, within the Hockey / Lace Market / Creative Quarter -an area long associated with its vibrant dining scene. We are half way along George Street, directly opposite the Arts Theatre. With about 120 items on our a la cart menu, you will be spoilt for choice and our professional waiting staff are happy to help you in your selection. If you have not visited before, why not try our set lunch deals that start from just £7.50. Its a great way to introduce yourself to Thai food and to see why Tarn Thai is so unique. We also serve "Afternoon Tea" featuring the amazingly flavoursome Peangthai coffee and our very own cakes, scones and sandwiches.
Reviewed February 3, 2013

Been here a few times and always loved it so recommended to a friend for a birthday celebration. Didnt start well that on a Saturday night they had no rose wines at all - and seemed more bemused than concerned.... We went for a £24 set menu. Mixed starters were very 'mixed' - prawns & spring rolls were fresh, hot & tasty. Chicken & pork satays cold, and pork very tough and undercooked. Mains were ok, again some great (fish curry), some poor (prawn dish only had 4 prawns & more like a chinese takeaway). Food seemed much less fresh tasting and prepared with less care than I remember on previous visits. Worst still, we were asked to hurry and leave as they needed the table - despite us waiting a while for the bill, and then again for them to take payment. The whole experience felt quite rushed & service poor. Over priced - very disappointed.

Reviewed February 3, 2013 via mobile

The food here is beautiful without a doubt but the service is definitely poor.

I pre-ordered balloons, birthday cake and singing etc to celebrate by partners birthday meal. It was soon apparent upon arrival this wouldn't materialise and I was gutted. I went out of my way to make the evening special and was let down. I was told no such arrangements had been made but why would I lie about it!!! I even got told the additional charges to expect on the bill!

The service continued to be poor when a member of my party had to flag down the waiter to take drinks orders for the table he took one drink order and went off in a hurry to get it. I just dont understand why would you overlook a whole party with empty glasses. it was equally a nightmare trying to get the bill.

Please don't get me wrong the food is BEAUTIFUL best Thai in Nottingham but the service leaves a lot to be desired- which inevitably lets the place down.

Reviewed February 1, 2013 via mobile

I went with my fiance last night as I had always walled past but never been in. It is much bigger than I thought it was and beautifully decorated. The service was better than in any restaurant I've ever been to before. The food was lovely really tasty and flavoursome. The portions were goid also.

I found the mixed starter was quite expensive for what it was. Also I got an amaretto and coke and it came in the tiniest glass I had everseen. It was about 3 mouthfulls of drink. Which was a bit disappointing.

I had the jungle curry which was very nice and hot as advertised. My fiance had the Thailand green curry which I thought was nicer though.

All in all I would recommend for sure and will be back again.

Reviewed January 29, 2013

Been here a few times now and really like it. Good service and well presented lovely tasting food that does not need you to re-mortgage your home! I like the ambience and the way the place is set out, will return again soon with more friends in tow.

Reviewed January 27, 2013

Tarn Thai is a very nicely decorated restaurant. Plenty of authentic decor and water features. The restaurant had a lively and welcoming atmosphere. They managed to find us a table on a busy Saturday evening with no reservation.

The toilets were clean and well presented but for a busy restaurant only one worked!

Table service was friendly and reasonably prompt given how busy they were. Mixed thai starters were okay but uninspiring and nothing you would not get in any decent thai restaurant. Could have done with more spice. Soup was pleasant and tasty but again lacking spice. For main, we opted for the fishing basket, which is not cheap at £29. Basically, we got 4 green lipped mussels, 4 king prawns, a couple of skewers of fish and squid and a piece of fish. The plate was heavily decorated with carved vegetables to fill it out. It was accompanied by a sweet dipping sauce. The whole dish was severely over-cooked and lacking in taste other than the carbon. It was dry and we were unable to eat it. Really disappointing.

The wine selection was dull and poor value.

Without any fuss we asked for the bill and after waiting for a while were asked to pay at the bar rather than at the table. The whole bar area was really busy with a new influx of diners. The staff were confused and we ended up waiting 15 minutes to pay. We told them we would only pay 50% of the main course because it was so bad but we did leave a tip to show that we appreciated the service and that we were not taking advantage. The whole process for calculating the final bill was haphazard and we had to tell them what we had ordered.

On the whole, an experience we will not repeat, which is a shame.

2  Thank Maltbys