“Milton Keynes”
Review of Bistro Live

Bistro Live
Ranked #22 of 1,339 Restaurants in Nottingham
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Description: Bistro Live is a live music restaurant in Leicester, Nottingham and Milton Keynes.A perfect venue if youre celebrating something like a hen night, birthday party, leaving do, Christmas Party - or anything really!The Food - We have a full time team of chefs that have been with us from the start of Bistro Live! Coming up with vibrant new menu ideas and cooking from fresh to order on the night of your visit. The Entertainment - With access to the very best live bands and party DJ's on the circuit, we make sure that the acts we choose will get event the most reluctant up and dancing!The Atmosphere - Is the best in town! You dont have to work for it, our fun loving staff will make sure you have an unforgettable night out!
Reviewed March 18, 2013

Originally booked for my hen do/birthday drinks in January.
We paid up prior to the event and that week in January, was some terrible weather!
I had friends coming to Milton Keynes from all over the country and we were all a bit concerned about the weather.
One friend from afar, let me know they wouldn't be able to travel followed by another from south of the country. My friend who was organizing this called the venue in the morning to see about obtaining a refund on non arrival of guests, the management said no refunds.
We called again at about 2PM to inquire any updates, was the night still going ahead?
They said yes. We received a call at about 4PM to advise that there were only two parties of people that had not cancelled so it wouldn't be 'bistro live' if they were to open so they cancelled on us. Some members of my party had began travelling, and some even were getting ready. I feel the late decision from the management was bad and what was worse is the fact that even though they cancelled, they refused to give us our money back.
They said we could choose any other night in the next two/three months.
This was not ideal since I was getting married a week after the original planned night so I ended up having a very delayed birthday outing and a hen do so late that I was already married.
I explained both of these things to the manager but they would not budge on giving us our money back.
I had to spend further money on going out that evening with the guests that were local.
Not one of our ten is amused by Bistro Live's decision to not give money back when we were cancelled on.
I'm writing this review in the public eye because the management did not deal with this is a professional way to begin with, and since I don't ever wish to go there again, I don't want a 'free night out' by way of an apology.
I received several emails and calls requesting to have our preordered drinks. This started three weeks before the event and I think is totally disgusting; a week, is more understandable.
I was told it would be so busy, we had to preorder drinks. Reality was, too many waiters trying to wait on the same table caused more problems and delays which could easily be solved by having a designated waiter!
THE NIGHT! 16th March!
With guests coming from all over, I spent a lot of time on the telephone directing my friends to the venue. There is no clear signage to this venue which is inside bannatynes health club. Follow your nose to chlorine and you will find Bistro Live.
The greeting was great, the staff were friendly. They told us where the toilets were and where the smoking area was.
this is not an actual smoking area, its outside, with no shelter for those that do smoke!
The room is like a school hall and I always felt like it was a night out at school because of the venue.
DRINKS -
watered down spirits reflected in the three choice strengths.
they are not pitchers, don't be fooled. they are small jugs of drink for an astonishing £19.95 for the strongest.
I sampled 4 bottles of wine before going with the jug of sangria.
The house white and rose are very similar and to me, very acidic and vinegary.
The second rose was slightly more palatable but I could not drink a glass let alone a whole bottle.
For the price, they should serve much better drinks.
I was disgusted by the bill when it came to my barcadi and diet coke.
Apparently barcadi is not one of their house spirits and I ended up paying £6.65 for a double with a dash of watered down pepsi.
All guests agreed that the price of drink is totally over the top.
Non drinking guests also get royally ripped off £1.90 for a small juice/pepsi or £5.50 for a litre of it. Now, that's a massive mark up!
I understand business is to be profitable but with a bar no where in site, finding it difficult to become drunk would only lead me to think the brand of alcohol is poor along with incorrect measures.
There were too many waiters taking orders and many times we waited for drinks that didn't arrive because of communication between staff.

FOOD
I was not overly impressed by the menu choice. Odd range of starters and mains.
I had chicken skewers for starters which were strangely covered in that mint and yoghurt sauce you get from Indian cuisine. The beansprout salad was lovely.
One diner in my party had the mini fish and chips for starters and the mini battered fish was about the size of my finger and it had 3 bones in it!
Bad quality fish!
Mains, I really didn't fancy the chicken supreme as the combination of sauce and veg was a bit peculiar.
I opted for the goats cheese and red onion tart served on rattatouie. I found my main to be pleasant but nothing special.
The chicken i had contemplated was the choice a lot of guests went for but there was no where on the menu to state it was served with a bone in it!
I am very glad I didn't choose this as I'm not always happy eating around bones.
For dessert, I was shocked there was no chocolate dish!
So I opted for the bake-well with cream. I think the menu differentiated about Chantilly cream and Anglais? well cream is cream and this cream was like spray cream and a tiny tiny amount of it! The dessert was ok, but just that!
Overall consensus to the food was - ok

The band that were playing were good. The atmosphere was good. Mostly women.
A couple of hen parties and birthdays.

As it was my 'birthday' and 'hen do' I received a cupcake that looked stale and icing had uncomfortable hardened. I didn't eat this. Also received a cocktail. I don't think there was any alcohol in this.

The music that was being played was typical of a cheesy night out on a disco.
Like being at someones wedding perhaps you could say.
I don't think the band added much to the night. They did covers and covers alone. It sounded like someone singing well to karaoke. I think for the price difference, definitely not worth paying extra for a band night.
Of course, these are all my own opinions and I can understand why some people would like a band but for me, nothing added.
This is not the place for couples - go drunk, go with great company and don't expect much - and then you won't be disappointed!

Bistro L, Director of Sales at Bistro Live, responded to this reviewResponded March 21, 2013

Hi,

I am really sorry to hear that you didn’t enjoy your experience at Bistro Live last Saturday evening. I am eager to look into your points raised and find out exactly what went wrong for you. You can contact me on 07551 242 422, or email theresa@bistrolive.com.

I have had a look into your booking in regards to the date we cancelled due to the extreme weather. I understand the inconvenience caused and am sorry but we had no real option other than to cancel the night.

Earlier in the day, I had personally spoken to a lot of the parties booked in. Most of which said they were still planning on attending. We started getting calls from our customers at about 3pm (ish) to say they couldn’t attend due to the taxi companies they were planning on using. The taxis would bring people to us, but would not take them home. After a count up it was clear that we couldn’t run a Bistro Live night with the few people that still wanted to come along. I also didn't want to put people at risk of being stranded in the snow at 1am in the morning. This is where im a little confused, as people had the option to have a full refund, or choose another date in the future. I personally called the remaining people that were booked in and gave them that option. Again, I would be more than happy to speak to you regarding this.

I would like the opportunity to discuss the issues you experienced on the night, let me know a good time to call.

Hope to speak to you soon,

Reviewed March 4, 2013

First visit with group of friends, using a groupon offer. Ok so the place is basic, wooden long tables with flat wooden seating, a stage and dj booth, and its pretty crammed. You are back to back literally to the point where every staff member who tries to get past asks you to scoot in, which gets a bit tedious after a while. That said the food was decent given the numbers present. It's not like top end restaurant food, more what you would get at a Xmas party but was peasant enough. The cocktail jugs can be ordered in 3 strengths and were ok, but you drink them out of the same short glass regardless and mostly tasted of punch or vimto or vk blue. After dinner there is a music quiz then basically everybody table dances to cheesy music. There was possibly 20 guys in about 200 women so for single guys, it's a secret winner, but as a general it looked like a hen party and 21st girls birthday bash venue. You need to be pretty drunk to really fully enjoy this place, unless you love cheesey music and enjoy looking stupid amongst 150 women dancing to gangnam style. Overall good value for the cost, great place for hen parties etc...not my scene which is just personal reference.

Hi There

Thank you for taking the time to write a review for us. We are proud of our food and are chuffed people are still enjoying it!

We do have a cocktail called Cheeky Vimpto - but if you didn't order that cocktail, then your drink shouldn't taste of it! I have had a chat with the Operational Management team who are putting another section into their training program. They will remind our staff to give fresh glasses with each new cocktail.

We have different nights where the music changes. For example we have band nights that play cover hits, 80's disco party nights and All Decade Disco Party nights. Some nights the music is designed just to get people up and dancing - but its not everyone’s cup of tea!

Once again, thank you for the positive comments and hope to see you again (perhaps on a less cheesy night!)

Kind regards

Reviewed March 4, 2013

Went to bistro live in leicester for my hen night (2/3/2013) had a fantastic night, we chose to have one of their hotel hen packages we all had a great night, the booking process was flawless not complicated, stressless,knew exactly what we all had to do to pay for our place's, just what i needed (stressfull enough planning and sorting wedding deatails out lol)
amazing food everything tasted so fresh and really really yummy, myself and my mum had the fish dish as our main, which we were both a bit dubious about finding bones in the fish but we need not have worried we did'nt find one bone!!!!!!!!...

The live band was fantastic really currant music just right volume not to loud and not to quite (so we could hear ourselfs think lol)

The staff was brilliant anything we needed we only had to ask or wave our flag (which is a absoultly fantastic idea) myself and my best friend are absoultly crazy about formula one so when we saw the flags where chequred that was it noone else got a hold of the flags!!!!!

After the meal and the band the tables where cleared and drink box's where placed on the tables for our drinks to be put in while we danced on the tables!!!!!!!!!!!! and boy did we dance on the tables..........

To top the night off we got our taxi back to the hotel ( all included in the hen package we chose) and had a really good nights sleep and a lovely morning of useing the facilities and cooked breakfast.......

It was my first visit to bistro live and it defenatly won't be my last!!!!!!!!!

Fanastic vaule for money.......fantastic fantastic fantastic!!!!!!!!!!

Thank you so much for your review! I will pass it on to the team and make sure they know how special they made your night!

The hotel package is great value for money and many a hen have taken advantage of it!

Is it OK to use your feedback on our website and any brochures that we may print? It would be great if we had a picture of you and your hens to go with it.

When you are planning your next visit - get in touch and I will sort you a cheeky deal :)

You can contact me direct theresa@bistrolive.com.

See you soon, and thanks again!

Reviewed February 28, 2013

Well this is my second visit and just like the first one I did around Xmas I was not disappointed. Food was hot, tasty and great service. Also as it was my friend and my birthday they also give you a cupcake and free drink for you. Great idea as well. Any chance I get I will be back.

What lovely feedback! Thank you for this. I will let Lucy know, she is one of the best!

Is it ok for me to use this quote for any promotional stuff I do? It would be great if we had a few pictures to go with it.

Thanks again, and I hope to see you back soon!

Reviewed February 26, 2013

Went to Bistro Live, Nottingham 23/2/13, and had an absolute ball, can't fault it at all, food was delish, staff were great and the band Groovy Revolution were fab. Would totally recommend going, also i organised the Hen party and it couldn't have been simpler with the help of Lucy Bailey Bistro Lives organiser, the hotel Jurys Inn was also a great place to stay. As a first timer in Notts, and Bistro Live, i can do nothing but recommend, i will certainly be doing this and also trying to find a reason to have to go again!!!