“Great Pub, average food”
Review of The Test Match

The Test Match
Ranked #305 of 1,273 Restaurants in Nottingham
Cuisines: Pub, Wine Bar
Good for: Local cuisine, Business meetings
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Reviewed October 22, 2012

This listed Grade II* pub was built in 1938. It has a cricketing theme, but not oppressive and a remarkable inter war interior, which is an Art Deco interior much of which is original. The pub sells a range of quality beers and lagers, kept in prime condition and operates a try before you buy policy. The friendly staff encourage you to use this offer.

So far, so very good, but sadly our lunch was not the same. Although acceptable I would not rush to try it again. I had fish and chips. The fish was a bit dry with a hint of an oily taste, associated with cheaper fillets; the batter was thin and a bit burnt and worst of all they left the skin on, but may be this is a regional thing. My friend had sausage with bubble and squeak. It was more like sausage and mash and not much mash at that and very few other vegetables. The ordinary coffee was cold, whereas the cappuccino was scalding hot.

I suppose it boils down to expectations and price. Expectations raised by lovely surroundings, great beer and nice staff. The cost was at the top of the range I would expect to pay for an ordinary pub lunch.

Reviewed September 30, 2012

A friend recently invited to meet up with us at The Test Match pub at Gordon Square, Gordon Road, West Bridgford, Nottingham on Friday 7th September 1012. It’s about 15 years since I frequented this area of Nottingham and I was pleasantly surprised with the improvements to the area as it used to appear a little run down.
The Test Match is a large two story building set back from the road with generous parking and outdoor tables & seating , just right for a barmy September evening.
On entering the pub I was aware that although the building had been updated it had been restored sympathetically and retained the original Art Deco features and high ceilings which gave it an airy ambiance often missing in modern pubs.
We were greeted by a very smart and friendly gent sporting pink hair who turned out to be Craig - the Landlord. He stocks a good selection of well kept cask ale from local brewers The Nottingham Brewery, Timothy Taylor’s Landlord, other occasional guest ales and the usual keg Lager, Wines, Spirits, and Yuppie Beers for those who like to hold a bottle. There was plenty of tables and seating available which is good as I like to relax while drinking a bevy.
The Test Match has been synonymous with live music for as long as I can remember and I have gigged here myself many times over the years. Tonight was very similar though I was in the audience to watch an excellent three piece live session band “The Blue Flies” from Harrogate.
The band executed a couple of perfect sets with great acoustic balance and an assortment of songs from Hendrix to Disco and Jazz Funk.
We all thoroughly enjoyed the whole evening and although it is quite some distance from my residence we will be returning frequently!

1  Thank SpeedyFeet
Reviewed March 30, 2012

In through the rotating doors and it looks like a converted art deco cinema inside. There is a high ceiling and stairs going up to the toilets and upstairs bar rooms. It is decorated with huge pictures of cricketers of yore (looking a bit foppish!). We went on a Thursday night for a drink with friends and there was a live band playing in the back bar providing a pleasant musical backdrop. The staff were very helpful and welcoming. The bar maid explained that if we were going to have more than 1 large glass of Shiraz then it was cheaper to buy a bottle ((£9.50 for 2 large glasses), and we were happy to indulge. We did not have any food, but what we saw looked very appetising and efficiently served. The pub provides a mixture of armchairs, high stools and conventional seating areas and parts of the pub can be used for club meetings or private functions. I enjoyed the Suffolk Aspall cider in the unique stemmed pint glasses. In all a relaxed atmosphere to dine or drink with family or friends.

Reviewed February 20, 2012

found this pubby chance, big inside with large bar, served drinks quickly, then ordered food themenu was big with mains & smaller dishes, we had 2 lasagnes, 1 burger & 1 scampi. All arived within 20mins, all piping hot, the chips were lovely and all really fresh. The lasagane wasn't burnt or stuck to the bottom of the dish which can often be the case. Highly recommended for some pub grub!

Reviewed February 19, 2012

Found this pub while on a weekend away. Went in there both nights so it must be good, had a meal 1 night & beer & shorts on both.Food was very good & reasonably priced, we had Old Speckled Hen which is 1 of our favourites & we wern't dissapointed. Busy part of the time but, no trouble getting served & the staff were friendly & efficient. As it's an Art Deco interior, that was a bonus. If we're in the area again we will definately go in again.