“How is this place in business?”
Review of La Tasca - Nottingham - CLOSED

La Tasca - Nottingham
Cuisines: Spanish
Good for: Large groups, Families with children
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed October 15, 2012

A large group of us had booked our table a week or so in advance before we visited this restaurant. The first thing I noticed when we walked to the second floor (where our table was situated) was the lovely atmosphere - quite a dark room illuminated by small candles on the tables (not to everybody's taste, but I liked it). However, it was completely down-hill from this point onwards. Our group was not allowed access to the usual restaurant menu as there were around 30 of us for them to cater for, so we had to choose from a set menu costing £17 per person. We were given a small portion of everything on this menu.

To begin, we had garlic ciabatta bread. We immediately noticed that this bread was stale, tough and cold. It had already taken them a good half an hour to serve this to us, so I imagine during that time it was left on a side in the kitchen somewhere. Instead of bringing this to the waiter's attention we gave them the benefit of the doubt and trusted that our next item of food was properly served.

By the end of the meal, we had been given a few bowls of different 'Spanish' meals, which were set in the centre of the table for everybody to have a little dig into (without the aid of serving spoons, that is.) All of these meals were luke-warm, apart from the paella. A woman who was part of the group complained to our waiter (using hand-gestures to aid communication as he spoke little Englsh), about the chicken and cheese meatballs which were served almost completely cold. We were brought a plate of fresh meatballs (3 per couple, which also didn't make a lot of sense to me), and when we cut into the new meatballs we were shocked to find that they were hot on the outside but FROZEN in the middle. I immediately asked to speak to the Chef, but was sadly not given the privilege of his compliance, and was referred to the manager instead. I explained that it is surely common knowledge to the average restaurant-goer (nevermind to 'qualified' Chefs) the dangers of consuming semi-cold chicken. The manager seemed a little flustered when I presented to him the half-frozen meatballs, before saying 'I'm so sorry - leave it with me and I will see what I can do'. A few minutes later he returned to our table with fresh plates of meatballs, said that we can have a discount off of the price of the meal for all 30 of us, and gave my partner and I a large jug of beer each. Perhaps he was trying to make our memories of the terrible food fade into the night - who knows.

There are a hundred other things I could complain about in relation to our evening at La Tasca, however I think I have gotten my point accross. A very poorly run, unprofessional establishment which clearly needs to make a lot of changes - I will never set foot in the place again.

2  Thank SnowChicken

Reviewed October 8, 2012

Tapas are lovely and great value. Sangria wonderful especially the fizzy one. Loyalty scheme with monthly offers. Do fiesta evenings with set menus and the food is plentiful. Christmas menu last year was great and already booked for this year. Lovely staff and La Tasca very supportive of local charities.

Reviewed September 30, 2012 via mobile

A tasty alternative to pub grub but it can be a bit hit and miss at times. Need to change the menu a little more frequently too as it can get repetitive. Always great value for money though.

Reviewed September 29, 2012

Celebration with colleagues - fabulous atmosphere and the food was tastey, varied and plentiful. Highly recommend going as a group.

Reviewed September 7, 2012

Took two hungry students to eat on Tapas for a Tenner offer, and they were quite impressed.

Good ambiance in the restaurant, friendly helpful staff. Order arrived quickly and as usual the dishes varied in quality. Olives starter very good; fried fish was excellent, tasted fresh and cooked very very well; meatballs consistently good; chicken croquettes average; paella had a strange smoky taste (probably the chorizo not liking being microwaved) and the tortilla poor. Not the first time I've disappointed by rectangular eggy slab! Why can't this be cooked fresh, not to difficult for most restaurant chefs surely?

Wine good - bit pricy though!