“great for Sunday lunch”
Review of Lakeside

Lakeside
Ranked #496 of 1,338 Restaurants in Nottingham
Cuisines: European, Italian
Good for: Romantic, Large groups, Special occasions, Business meetings, Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Breakfast, Lunch, Delivery, Reservations
Description: As of 27 October 2017, Lakeside is under new ownership. The venue is closed for major refurbishment and will reopen its doors in 2018.
Reviewed May 12, 2014

We called in on speck as we were passing, it was Sunday and lunchtime.
We easily got a table for two in the restaurant which overlooks the lake although would probably book to be sure of a table if we were to return.
The setting is beautiful, it's a former grade II listed pumping station that has had 2.5 million spent on its renovation. The rooms are beautifully decorated with many original features. At the moment it is a restaurant, function venue and spa but they are currently building in the car park to include rooms.
The grounds are beautifully maintained with a very picturesque lake with an island and an eating area on the deck.
Our lunch cost £19.95 for 3 courses. (17.95 for 2 courses) There were 4 choices of starter and being Sunday, a choice of beef, lamb and chicken for the roast dinner. I went for the beef which was very tender and had loads of flavour. Fresh veg, proper Yorkshire puddings and roast potatoes made it very enjoyable.
I had pate for starter which was home made and very nice and the desserts were spot on, (we had the crème brulee and chocolate brownie, both delicious.)
The service was efficient and friendly.
Although the food is good, I must admit I have had similar quality for cheaper but we would certainly go back again if we were in the area.

1  Thank SMD1966

Reviewed May 1, 2014

Visited this time with a friend and 14month old twins. Facilities clean, cafe friendly, food wholesome and child friendly. Just brilliant!

1  Thank Hodgsons62
Reviewed March 24, 2014

We booked for Afternoon Tea as a special celebration. We loved the restaurant, it's décor is beautiful and tastefully designed, the service was second to none, our waiter very attentive and friendly, nothing was too much trouble. The food was served in typical Afternoon Tea tradition on 3 tier servers, finger sandwiches, scones and fancies and pots of tea and champagne, sublime! One of our party had particular dietary requirements which were accommodated without fuss and without compromise. Can't wait to visit again in the summer to take advantage of dining on the terrace overlooking the lake. Perhaps a visit to the health spa too.

1  Thank Sharon C
Reviewed March 15, 2014 via mobile

Lovely characterful building and grounds, although they are right by the main road. Had dinner here and unfortunately their food is mediocre and very overpriced for the (canteen) quality. When paying £18 for a main I expect a little better than boiled chopped carrots, cabbage and peas, dry meat, and Bisto gravy. Had a starter and two mains between us, all about the same standard. I work in the NHS, and most hospital canteens aren't too far off this in quality... Ikea canteen food blows this out of the water. To be fair, it seemed quite popular and was beginning to fill out when we left, so perhaps they're doing a good job catering to their particular market. I'm sure it would be a great place to come in the summer for a drink, but I certainly wouldn't come back for the food.

1  Thank bazyr
Reviewed March 9, 2014

Saturday evening birthday celebration for me and my wife. Booked on the Wednesday before having read the TA reviews and received a good recommendation from work colleagues.

Lovely surroundings although the lake would probably been at its best during the day light hours. Huge vaulted ceiling with prominent statues and low lighting, mezzanine floor that seemed to be used for large parties and a pleasant sofa'd area with snug styled bar at the back.

Showed to our table and given plenty of time to choose our food without being left feeling we were being neglected. For Starters I chose the Camembert Tartlet and my wife had Parsnip Soup both were very good although toast would have been better than bread (being very picky here). For the main course I had the Trio of Pork and Leak Sausages with creamy mash and my wife had Five Spice Chicken, both meals were very well received although the portion size had me beat, a very pleasant change from Cordon Bleu mini portions. Hearty, well cooked and tasty food. Throughout the meal the staff were very attentive without being too ingratiating.

We took our drinks to the bar area and enjoyed a chat with the Maitre d' about Travel Advisor and some of the offbeat reports. In particular the individual who complained about the Peroni Beer not being in branded glasses (Ha Ha). The restaurant was too professional to take issue with the trivial reports but I do wish their customers would be more responsible and balanced about their reporting. Ironically the beer was now in branded glasses!!

For my part I was a happy and contented customer and I will be back.

3  Thank J V