“Things can only get better.” 1 of 5 bubbles
Review of The Gresham Hotel

The Gresham Hotel
We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Nottingham
The Gresham Hotel
Ranked #52 of 54 Hotels in Nottingham
Grantham, United Kingdom
“Things can only get better.”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 21, 2009

After an experience at the Gresham, I left with an overwhelmingly puzzling question in my mind. What on Gods earth are the obviously inept people at the Nottingham Tourist Board doing to their wonderful city? Because as soon as you step out of the quaint train station you are met with the relieving sight of local and available accommodation. Like myself, those who had not booked or researched a hotel for the night, might very well be attracted by the superficial and convenient fascia of hotels like the Gresham. I know myself that Ive made some wrong decisions in my life, we all have, but nothing could have prepared me for the poor error of judgement that night that I was so dismally punished for. And this is my dilemma with the powers that could force these 'ambushes' kicking and screaming into modern day expectations and standards. And yet the Gresham still stands, trapping unwitting travellers into a night of sheer demoral. After walking back in time through the pretty forgettable lobby, you arrive at the desk wondering why the place smells like its thrown in the towel. Then comes an exhausting booking in process with a receptionist who seems to speak anything other than English before being handed a key, which is similar to that of a padlock key. When you reach your door you immediately relise why you have such an odd looking key. After you open the CHUBB PADLOCK, expecting the receptionist has made a mistake and that you have been handed the key for a storage room, you will see that the only mistake that has been made was the one that happened ten minutes ago when you thought 'lets try here'. It is unmistakably a collection of what seems to be either donated or collected furniture, a decor not witnessed since early Victorian Britain and a view that manages to be both dissapointing and offensive. The en suite is an insult to the very word and the temptation to leave the room is imminent from the start. Down to the less than mediocre bar facility where the service is almost as slow as the receptionist. Nottingham deserves answers from its council, how they can let innocent an naive tourists be exploited in this way, only to end up drunken messes in the city's bars due to the depression and dispair of knowing they will eventually have to go back to the Gresham.

• Stayed February 2009, traveled with friends
6 Thank thegreshammustclose

Families
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
Northampton
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 20, 2009

The only thing this hotel has going for it is the location situated on a main road 2 min walk away from the train station.i was travelling with one other friend to meet another local friend, i made the fatal mistake of not visiting trip advisor web site before booking this hotel for reviews.
upon entering the hotel you are greeted with a intercom for entry then a approximately 40 step corridor, we both just had to drop our luggage off in our room and leave with our head in our hands straight away to go into the city.
At roughly 11pm we headed back requiring a night cap from the bar only to be told quite abruptly it closed an hour ago, tired annoyed we headed to our room to inspect our beds which included 2 sheets and 2 quilts( why i have no idea), after finally falling to sleep an hour later thanks to the concrete plinth that was the mattress..we both woke with what we can only describe as tiny bite marks which still makes me itch thinking about it.
At 7am we decided to risk breakfast and at 7:20 still waiting to be served which was unreal considering there was only 6 other people in there after it was threw on the table it was most definitely not worth the wait, the beans were baking hot and the bacon stone cold i mean I'm no gorden ramsey but how hard is it have both at roughly the same temperature? unless of course if you have never cooked before which was probably the case.
In over view it was awful but i know what other advisers will say that its a 2star hotel and u get what u pay for but for my £30 i had next to nothing in return.
DO NOT GO!

• Stayed February 2009, traveled with friends
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank BarryNorthampton

Travelers are raving about these Nottingham hotels

Chorley
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 27, 2009

We arrived after struggling to park the car (£8.00) we had to squeeze past a cycle lock and walk up a ginnel with cigarette stubbs, supermarket trolleys and refuse to a sticky carpet stairway. The reception was grimmy and the room was worse! It had a chubb lock holding the door closed, the window was cracked, the lace curtains were black. The carpet had been patched together with grime inbetween the joins, the ceiling had mould on it and around the sink unit. The carpet was dirty and the furniture looked extremly tired. We had to pay in advance and didnt get a refund or any sympathy from the Receptionist. It was so bad we decided to folk out for another hotel. If I had stayed there or ate breakfast, I feel I would of ended up in hospital with MRSA.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled on business
5 Thank BusinessMChorley
N. Ireland
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 8, 2009

This hotel has nothing going for it. The place is falling apart and dirty. Someone in our party also had items go missing from their room.
The only thing that was slighty positive was the breakfast which was ok. But I would definately avoid this hotel!

• Stayed April 2007, traveled with friends
1 Thank icemonkey4
Colorado
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 2, 2009

This is a hotel in which I stayed for one night, and i'll summarize it by saying that you get what you pay for. I arrived late on a train from Manchester, and needed to find a hotel in which to crash, and the Gresham was literally right across the street from the rail station. Check-in was easy, and in fact, I'm pretty sure if I would have given a few extra quid, the woman working the desk would have accompanied me to the room, she was that "friendly" or shall I say, flirtatious. I think I paid 30 GBP for the room, and while it was ensuite, it was far from spotless. The bathroom was moldy, it had one OLD towel (perhaps pre-Industrial revolution?) and one of the ubiquitous all purpose shower lotions that are so common throughout Europe, and no wash cloth. The bed was old and hard, and the TV got all of 3 channels, not impressive. Nottingham is a great city, and I had a lot to see so I basically was there for about 9 hours, checked out early the next morning, and saw the sights around the town before heading to Leicester. I don't know that I'd recommend the Gresham to anyone I know, unless you really do NOT care what your room looks like and you just want a room in which to sleep.

• Stayed March 2006, traveled solo
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank JCS276
Grantham
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 2, 2008

OH MY GOD!! Room was filthy and freezing, only have the heating on from 5pm till 11pm. Charged £6 for parking!! moved the bed and there was a perfect rectangle shape of 50 years worth of muck dust and manky crisps!! Bathroom stunk of raw sewage when ever the taps were run AND AS FOR THE BREAKFAST........The bacon was still oinking, the toast had no butter, the hash browns were frozen in the middle and the beans and tomatoes were only warm cos the eggs were on top of them!! NEVER AGAIN!! PAY THE EXTRA £10-£15 AND GO TRAVEL LODGE OR SOME WHERE!!!

• Liked — Nothing
  • Disliked — Everything
  • Stayed November 2008, traveled on business
      Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
      Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank kazzymac
London
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 30, 2008

Can really add to the previous reviews.
Only stay here if you are really, really, really desperate (and can't find a park bench).

• Liked — Nothing
  • Disliked — Everything
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled as a couple
      Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
      Business service (e.g., internet access)