“If you're not Chinese stay away!”

Shanghai Shanghai Chinese Restaurant
Ranked #202 of 1,414 Restaurants in Nottingham
Cuisines: Chinese
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Reservations
Description: Shanghai Shanghai Chinese Restaurant & Bar has just recently opened a branch here in Nottingham! We quickly became one of the most popular Chinese Restaurant in the Nottingham. Our restaurant is situated at the heart of Nottingham’s city centre, we are conveniently located; just within walking distance from the Victoria Shopping Centre, the Lace Market and Nottingham’s premier "TrentFM Arena" complex. We are also minutes by car from the Nottingham Trent Univerity(Clifton Campus and Beeston).The Cuisine here is traditional Cantonese style, typical of what you would find in Hong Kong. We are frequented by many of the local families. We are widely regarded as the best Chinese restaurant for the Chinese in the East Midlands. Our Menu has over 250 dishes, as well as a wide range of drink and wine list. We are also very pround to bring out over a wide varity of authentic hot and spicy Sichuan cuisine, specifically designed to the Mainland Chinese Taste. You would expect to find all your favourite dishes, ranging from the Sweet & Sours and Sizzlers to live seafood such as Lobster, Crabs & Scallops. The menu is widely seen as being the largest in England. The philosophy here has always been to try and cater for all the customer’s taste and demands.
Luton, United Kingdom
“If you're not Chinese stay away!”
Reviewed May 19, 2013

This was our first trip to Nottingham and this restaurant was recommended to us when booking tickets to a show. What a bad recommendation. Maybe it's just us, but I did not enjoy my experience at Shanghai Blues and neither did my husband which is a shame. As soon as we walked in, my gut feeling was to go as we kept getting stared at as we walked to our seats but my husband said we should try the food. I now wish I had gone with my gut feeling. The food was ok, not the best I've tasted and the atmosphere was poor. We sat next to a table of 3 youths who did not, for the entire time we were seated, stop staring at us and talking and laughing in their own language. It was really uncomfortable. I really wanted to leave and ended up eating very little. It's safe to say we will never return to this restaurant again. I thought it would be an authentic experience, it turned out to be a terrible one. In fact I think the company who recommend this restaurant should take it off of their website!!

• Visited May 2013
3 Thank Pershie11

Nottingham, United Kingdom
“Still Good”
Reviewed May 6, 2013

My wife and I have been going here for a few years since it was called 'Noodle King' so we thought we would see what it is like since the name change.

We were not dissapointed and I am pleased to say the food is as delicous as ever. There are new tables and chairs and the cake counter has been moved to make room for more tables.

The only thing that I didn't like was the noisy chinese lads on the table behind us. These student types were all slurping their noodles and making such a noise they were sounding like animals as they were eating which I found annoying, but my Indonesian wife pointed out to me that in the far east it is a sign that they are enjoying their food. Well I can't disagree with their view of the food because my King Prawn crispy noodles was superb washed down with Honeydew Melon bubble tea..

The staff are really good and were very friendly

I really recommend 'Shanghai Blues' and we are looking forward to our next visit..

• Visited April 2013
Nottingham, United Kingdom
“Great value Chinese food”
Reviewed April 5, 2013

This is the place which used to be Noodle King. It has been refurbished and rebranded. I'm not sure if it has new owners but I recognise some of the staff from before. It is now a little more restaurant-like and less canteen-like in decor. I also noticed more non-Chinese people eating in here now.

This is not a place to come if you want the Anglicised chicken chop suey type dishes. We had fried chicken livers in chilli, beef brisket in a stew with preserved vegetables and a belly of pork casserole. The chilli dishes are often very spicy in true Shezwan style and likewise you will find chicken chopped still on the bone so there is bone in the meat.

The food was delicious and very reminiscent of my trips to that part of the world. The whole restaurant experience is in fact quite reminiscent of my trips to the area.

The value for money is excellent in my opinion.

Its not a "posh" place, nor somewhere I'd necessarily take a date I wanted to impress but its a place we often eat at and meet friends there.

NB: when I visited a week or so ago they didn't have a card machine yet so it was cash only

• Visited March 2013