“Great”

De Vere Orchard Hotel
Ranked #6 of 41 Hotels in Nottingham
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed December 14, 2013

Great service, lovely room, would definitely recommend. Just a shame I didn't know about the special rates for parents of Nottingham Uni students until it was too late! Even so, it was a good value stay.

Room Tip: If you're a Uni student parent don't book online - phone the hotel direct for special rates.
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family
Lasse H, General Manager at De Vere Orchard Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded December 20, 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent visit, I do hope you decide to stay with us again.

Wishing you all the best and compliments of the season

Reviewed December 13, 2013

I stayed here with my partner the last weekend on November. I wanted to be near the Queens Medical Centre as I was taking part in a clinical study.
Reception staff friendly and efficient. Our room was a standard double and our room looked out onto trees so very peaceful and quiet. The room was very clean, the bed was bigger the a double, probably king size which was fab as we're used to a big bed at home!!
We ate in the restaurant, the food was good for a chain hotel too.
In the morning we had the buffet breakfast which was again faultless, all the food hot and stocked up, nothing running out.
I would recommend this hotel to anyone that wants to be in the middle of Nottingham as well as in a very peaceful part of the city.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear Guest,
Thank you for taking the time to leave some fantastic feedback about your recent stay with us. I am delighted that your visit was a memorable one.

The Orchard Hotel is ideally located on the University of Nottingham campus in 330 acres of parkland and still only 2 miles from Nottingham City centre - giving our guests the best of both worlds.

Wishing you all the best and compliments of the season

Reviewed December 12, 2013 via mobile

Stayed for a Saturday night with my partner on 7th of December. Hotel is very impressive from the outside and it doesn't disappoint on the inside either. Friendly, warm and efficient check-in, very large and spacious lobby with bar and trendy seating. The room was lovely and modern with a 'nature' theme that was very relaxing and calm. The bathroom had a large bath that easily accommodated 2 people and the oversized towels were a nice added touch. Very comfey beds and pillows made for a great nights sleep. Breakfast was one of the best we have had in a hotel, buffet style with a vast choice and again attentive yet friendly service from staff.

We didn't have an evening meal at the hotel, instead against our better judgement decided to walk to the Nurseryman on the A52 about 20 minutes away. One word DON'T, we ended up at Toby Carvery but only because the menu at the hotel did not have anything that we fancied either on the main a la carte or bar menu.

All in all a great nights stay most definitely recommended, with Nottingham just a few minutes away in a taxi.

Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear Guest,

Thank you so much for the lovely review and comments about your recent stay at the Orchard Hotel. I am delighted that your visit was a memorable one and I do hope you visit us again very soon.

Wishing you all the best and compliments of the season.

Reviewed December 9, 2013

We stayed here for a weekend trip being significantly more reasonably priced than many of the inner city hotels and seemed like it would make a nice change from the often noisy and cramped rooms in some I've stayed in.
We were quickly checked into our executive room (which as requested was on a high floor and away from stair wells and public areas). The room itself was a bit of a surprise - not standard hotel decor - quite like a high end Ikea display which made a pleasant change. The room itself was airy and spacious with plenty of natural light, nicely kitted out with a large TV and desk. The bathroom was equally spacious with a walk-in shower and all the usual things you'd expect with robes waiting in the wardrobe. The bed itself was incredibly comfortable and we both slept very well, no noise at night or in the morning and nice heavy blackout curtains meant we weren't woken prematurely.
We didn't really get to make full use of the hotel's facilities as we had to head out for most of the day and then only stopped by briefly before heading out for the evening. The staff were very polite and helpful - we'd never stayed in this area of Nottingham before so needed a bit of help in getting in to the centre - which was provided by reception.
Overall an excellent stay the only very minor niggle I would say is the lack of drawers in the room - there is ample wardrobe space but if staying for a few nights it may be a bit awkward, other than that couldn't fault our stay here and it will be first choice when we return.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay at the Orchard Hotel. The comments you have made are fantastic and hopefully upon your return you will have the chance to enjoy the rest of the facilities available. I look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

I wish you all the best and compliments of the season.

Reviewed December 6, 2013

Decided to have a night away and opted for this hotel.

Having read the reviews, i can only confirm that the free wifi is not worth even wasting your time to go on and for a conference venue gives such a poor connection and speed. You may as well use your own phone which i did as a personal hotspot.

The hotel looked as beautiful as the pictures suggested but was shocked that admittedly on the coldest night of the year so far, littered along the lobby were industrial heaters.

Check in was swift and receptionist helpful and polite and chatty. Booked an executive double room and was in a way disappointed that i am sure many other people find that the room is not like the room displayed in the pictures etc. However for a hotel coming up to its first anniversary, you could still smell the newness and freshness of the place.

Room was very airy and cosy. The air con control looked like you should have obtained a PhD from Nottingham University on how to operate it.

I think as a conference venue, the one thing that it majorly lacked or simply overlooked in the design was audio visual capabilities in terms that i forgot to bring a hdmi cable and the hotel did not even possess one. Having bought one from nearby Tesco, trying to connect to the tv which could not be moves was not for those with large hands. There was an individual iPhone audio player.

For those that may read my reviews will know that the two things that must be there are a comfortable bed and a great powerful shower. The bed was comfortable and king size however it was one of those king size based on two mattresses zipped together. So for all intents and purposes i was in a twin room as well. For the romantics these types of mattresses are not good for getting together in the middle. There was some dirt under the base of the bed that the housekeeping need to pay attention.

The bathroom was "wow" but lost that when the shower was not powerful and getting hot water from the sink was nigh impossible. The pressure and workability of the shower head needs to be looked at. I feel like i am going to be scanned at the airport rather than taking a shower.

I did like the presentation of their gels etc, see the pics.

I did have to laugh at the light stand in the bedroom as it looked like it could be used for pole dancing, not that i would advise it.

Next to the lift there was a coffee/tea station which was available from when we arrived at 5pm until 10pm. Sad to say that it was not looked after and cleaned all the way through that time, so therefore that is something that needs to be looked at or taken away as it defeats the purpose of it being there if no one is looking after that station. There was enough staff at the bar to take care.

So sad when things are offered but not looked after. The apples too were in bad shape and had seen their sell by date.

Overall a good stay and a few points it needs to look at on its first birthday.

Room Tip: quiet setting and nice location
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Traveller_Steve_Ling
Lasse H, General Manager at De Vere Orchard Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded December 12, 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking tjhe time to write a very informative review following your stay with us. Your comments are very honest and are fair reflection of your experience.

I would like to comment on some of your observations. The heaters were in place as we drained the glycol from our Ground Source Heat Technology system and i took this measure to ensure that the large atrium in reception was not cold. I agreed it was unslightly, but a necessary temporary solution

The wifi in the hotel is a 100mb connection across both the hotel and adjacant EMCC which is one of the largest bandwidths i have operated in any hotel. Did you make contact with reception or the duty manager to identify if there was a problem ?

Please accept my sincerest apologies if we failed to live up to your expectations.

I wish you the very best and compliments of the season.

Reviewed December 5, 2013

Last week I needed a hotel room in Nottingham on short notice and with no particular preference, other than price, I headed to the web. What I didn’t expect to find was a hotel on the campus of Nottingham University.

Sadly, as I arrived late and had to leave early, I didn’t have a chance to explore the rooftop terraces or experience very much of the use of natural daylight. Luckily I did arrive in time to enjoy a late beer before bed. That allowed me a chance to have a quick wander around the bar, lounge and reception area, which all flow very easily into one another and had a very laid back feel.

When I checked in, the relaxed and polite member of staff was pleased to tell me I had been upgraded to an executive room. The room met with my immediate approval when I noticed the hall area had wooden flooring rather than carpet (something I wish more hotels would do), floor to ceiling windows, a huge bed and a decent sized desk with a large flat screen television. The bathroom was also well laid out, with a decent walk-in shower (no bath, which is not a problem for me).

The hotel, which sits alongside the East Midlands Conference Centre, is unusual because it is located within the grounds of the University of Nottingham. That does mean a car is helpful. Without one, if you want to get to or from the centre of town, you’ll need a taxi.

Finally, for those paying attention at the beginning, you will remember I was after a good price. Well I managed to grab an amazing late deal, which meant my ‘room only rate’ was just £39 for the night.

It is easy to see why this is such a popular hotel and the amazing rate was just an added bonus.

Highly recommended. Would happily stay again.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled on business

Dear Guest,

Thank you so much for leaving some fantastic feedback about your recent stay at the Orchard Hotel. I am delighted to see that your visit was a memorable one and do hope you choose to stay with us again.

Wishing you a Merry Christmas.

Reviewed December 5, 2013

I guess if you are running a conference centre in a university you would expect that the people doing it would understand a few basics about learning environments.
Book for 3 days and keep the same meeting rooms …... 2 days in 1 and then moved to a completely different part of the hotel
Not throw your meeting materials away when you are using the room the next day.
Seems they would rather run the hotel which is in a really poor location unless you are doing business in the University campus

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled on business
2  Thank plaistowboy

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review on the Orchard Hotel. Your comments refer to the adjacent EMCC and i can confirm that the organiser at the time of enquiry was fully aware that the meeting would be split between the EMCC and Hotel. i have not been made aware of any other issues on any of three days during your meeting.

I wish you all the very best and compliments of the season.