“Clean and student friendly”
Review of Malt Cross

Malt Cross
Ranked #4 of 148 Quick Bites in Nottingham
Dining options: Late Night
Dining options: Late Night
Reviewed August 7, 2019

Popped in here for a place to sit, relax and chat with family. Wooden chairs are not very comfortable, the settee and arm chairs are badly worn - despite it just being re-opened following a re-furb! The staff are just great, always smiling, and probably the reason we still keep going. Prices are a little high - and they still haven't fixed the main door.

Date of visit: August 2019
Write a reviewReviews (330)

Reviewed May 7, 2019

just been done up a little food very good looks gaunt from outside but is worth a visit just not long been opened again

Date of visit: May 2019
Reviewed April 7, 2019

I went to the malt cross on Sunday afternoon with 16 friends.
Access:
The access is through a side street and this is very dark so beware if your sight impaired. Wheelchair access would be a problem as the tables are too close together so once your in it would be difficult to navigate around them. There is a lift but it’s a small one and there is a door before you get to it. Staff were very helpful if you ask them
The Food was really well done and well brought out but it did take a while to get it. I had the chicken and it tasted really nice one. The place was very busy so I expected a wait. There’s not a lot on the menu but what they did was good.
Noises
I have to say that the music was blaring out the whole time and so was very annoying. Especially when you go to have a chat. I asked for it to be toned down but this was largely ignored. A lot of people in the place were also upset by it. This spoilt are experience and for a lot of people. I hope the management take notice. It’s ok to have music but the main reason for people going is to chat and talk and have food.
So to recap not disability friendly as such but help was good. Lighting was not an issue when went but certainly the music was.
A positive response about disability would be good and the music.

Date of visit: April 2019
Reviewed March 4, 2019 via mobile

We had just been to The Roebuck Inn were we had enjoyed a real ale and a meal and decided to drop into Malt Cross for a quick real ale..
This is one superb bar,set over a couple of floors with exquisite architectural features including a high ornately decorated ceiling and a cool looking serving bar, beers on offer are displayed on boards behind the bar and there's plenty of seating options spread throughout this bar, it's just one cool place to unwind in.
My brother and I were here on a Wednesday night,greeted warmly by a very pleasant member of staff who served us a real ale each,I opted to have a dry hopped lager while my brother went for an EPA ,both these real ales were served in excellent condition, we just chilled out and took in the great bar we were in.
My dry hopped lager was outstandingly tasty, a hoppy, well balanced lager style beer bursting with taste and very easy to drink indeed, a beer style I really enjoyed, my brother also gave the thumbs up to his real ale.
We really enjoyed our real ales in here before we moved on and as on every other visit to here we had a great time.
The Malt Cross is easy to locate on St James Street.
Opening hours are;
Monday to Friday, Open from 11am.
Saturday & Sunday, Open from 10am.
A great bar ,one I highly recommend you visit if your in the area.

Date of visit: March 2019
Reviewed March 3, 2019

This is a lovely heritage experience in what used to be an old Victorian music hall in Nottingham City. Underneath the pub/ cafe/ bar are caves and we attended an excellent tour led by a most knowledgeable guide called Phil. We paid a charge of £5 which went to charity and it was excellent value. I really liked the idea that the premises are also used at night by the Street pastors for the homeless in the City.

The crowning moment of the tour was when in the depths of the caves Phil played an original recording of one of the artists who had appeared in the music hall. The tour began in the music hall area, with many original features that still remain and an amazing glass roof with the original timbers.

We chose to have lunch afterwards in the pub area which is very user friendly and Iwould happily visit on my own as an older lady for a coffee or light lunch and feel very safe.

The food was delicious, excellent sandwiches very generously filled and served with a lovely coleslaw that had never seen a supermarket tub! The staff were most friendly and knew their beers and spirits. There is a very good selection of real ales according to my husband.

We will most certainly visit again

The balcony area is very nice and the toilets are very clean.

Date of visit: February 2019