“Comfy Home Away from Home in Interesting Nottingham” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of The Walton - Hotel & Restaurant

The Walton - Hotel & Restaurant
Ranked #31 of 54 Hotels in Nottingham
Chicago, Illinois
“Comfy Home Away from Home in Interesting Nottingham”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 12, 2013

Wonderful hotel in a nice area of Nottingham. The hotel appears to be a converted mansion. It has a comfortable at home feeling.

The staff are very friendly and helpful in all respects. Rooms are comfortable, clean and well appointed. Bathrooms are roomy and clean. Ample parking in the rear of the hotel.

Breakfasts were very nice and plentiful.

Bar area is great for a relaxing drink in an old British club-type environment.

The property is quite charming.

We very much enjoyed the visit. The hotel is located within walking distance of the sites of Nottingham and some very nice restaurants.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank mliccar

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (68)
Pewsey, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 10, 2013

We were at Walton's in October to stay and for an evening meal. We took my aunt there for lunch on Saturday March 9th for a treat. We were a bit disappointed this time, no ambience. We chose from the a la carte , 2 had beer battered fish and I had steak. The portions were very small as was the fish. My steak was rare and I had asked for medium. We didn't say much because it was a treat for my aunt. 2 had very nice puddings. I had liqueur coffee which was served in a cup with a jug of milk! Daniella apologosed for this and said the barman was new and she didn't charge us for our bread and dips to compensate. Annoying intrusive music came from the bar area. Daniella was excellent and very professional but overworked as she had to teach the barman too! The special fish was Coley! My husband was horrified as this is the cheapest fish available and the price was high, we did not choose this. Pauline was not there and I hope she sees this review because we will not be so keen to visit again. Daniella should be commended and promoted though as she kept calm and was extremely pleasant.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank JuliaSmart
Derby, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 9, 2013

Recent one night stay for work. Very welcoming, room ready an hour early so I was able to check in when I arrived. Big room with triple bays, very comfortable large bed. Lovely evening meal in the hotel and breakfast, would definitely use again.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Nottingham, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 3, 2013

We were married at sea in December 2012 and we chose the Walton's for our wedding meal for family and friends back in the UK. Despite one postponement from us due to adverse weather conditions the hotel general manager, Pauline Mee, was most helpful in arranging a new date, 2 March. We had 40 guests, some of whom had visited before, but many first time visitors. They were all full of praise for the ambience, quality of food and service.

Pauline was on holiday but her deputy, Sarah, was equally helpful in seeing through the last-minute arrangements and, even when off duty, was on hand with her son to help set up the projector and laptop displaying our wedding photos to wonderful effect.

Recommended.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
London
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 26, 2013

Stayed due to the general good reviews. I was in Nottingham for a business trip and the room I was allocated was above the kitchen.
Please note the following points:
1. The noise of the kitchen fan below my window made sleeping very difficult.
2. I arranged a wake up call for a morning meeting but did not receive it. The only reason I was able to make my meeting on time was because I could not sleep due to the loud fan.
3. When trying to order room service I called 5 times before my call was answered.
4. One of the reasons I chose the hotel was its free Wifi service. Sadly even after asking for assistance when I found it wasn't working I was only able to use it for 2 minutes during the whole evening.
5. When mentioning these points to staff it was I was offered no direct apology for any of the problems i experienced.

I was very disappointed in this hotel and I could not recommend staying there, which is a shame as I would have considered staying regularly, had I been offered a better service.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
9 Thank SteveDLon1
Nottingham, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 25, 2013 via mobile

I have just got back from a weekend stay at The Waltons and I have to say that I can't find fault with it at all.
Check in was smooth and my room (20) was spacious and immaculate as was the bathroom. The latter had a bath and a shower with plenty of fluffy white towels plus complimentary toiletries.
Both evenings I dined in the restaurant with a friend and as a resident didn't need a reservation. It was extremely busy but the food and service were A1. The Sunday Roast we had in the bar because the restaurant was heaving by 1pm but that wasn't a problem to us and once again the food was excellent. It is great value for money and no more expensive than having a similar meal in a local pub or restaurant. One thing that stood out is The Waltons is very much favoured by the locals which is a good thing. I am one too but just treated myself for a weekend being pampered.
The Staff were all extremely efficient and friendly and without doubt this hotel runs like clockwork but it is relaxed although a very elegant hotel. Actually the title Hotel doesn't really describe it too well. A converted hunting lodge which it is describes it to a tee.
So value for money. I would say that it is priced realistically and is cheaper than some other hotels in Nottingham. Probably why it is difficult to get a room reservation. It took me months to get mine.
So this is a TA review from a local all round.
I do occasionally have a weekend Hotel treat in Nottingham and I have tried a few but The Waltons has to be my favourite so far.

• Stayed February 2013
Billericay, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 16, 2013

We staged my son's 21st birthday celebration at the Walton's Hotel on Saturday 2nd February 2013. We selected the venue back in October 2012 after looking at many other possibilities.
On our first visit we met Pauline Mee, the General Manager, who offered us a very warm welcome and was very attentive to our needs.
We were able to reserve, for our exclusive use, three connecting function rooms which served as bar, disco and dining area respectively. There were approximately seventy guests and the available space was just right.
We were also able to book accommodation for those guests requiring a stop over.
Pauline kept in regular contact with us up to the day of the event in order to finalise the arrangements.
The evening itself was an outstanding success.
The bar staff were excellent, the food supplied at the buffet was of the highest quality and the resident disc jockey was complimented on her playlist.
I highly recommend the hotel to anyone who is considering staging a similar event to our own, to anyone who is looking for a lovely place to stay in Nottingham, and to anyone who fancies sampling some great food and service.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family