“Outstanding food and accommodation”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Nottingham
Restaurant Sat Bains with Rooms
Ranked #11 of 41 Hotels in Nottingham
Reviewed April 15, 2013

I was taken to Sat Bains as a Christmas present by my girlfriend on 5th April 2013 and experienced what can only be described as an outstanding and magical evening of food, service and accommodation. We opted for the 10 course tasting menu and added the special 62 degree duck egg dish which Sat made for the Great British menu programme ont the BBC. Each dish was exceptional, bringing in elements of excitement and curiosity as well as beautiful flavours, textures and techniques. The 62 degree duck egg is fantastic as is the scallop dish, and I couldn't pick a winner between them. My girlfriend loved the duck museli especially, and all in all this was the best meal I have ever eaten.

The accommodation is also absolutely perfect, we had a suite which included a lovely sitting room, huge bathroom with jacuzzi bath and a very large and very comfortable bed.

So good we are already planning our return.

Room Tip: Get a suite, you won't be disappointed!
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank PhillipKent

Reviewed April 6, 2013

My wife and I have been here many times. We really loved it years ago when it was a one star Restuarant. Gradually though we enjoyed it less, especially about two years ago when we had our most dissatisfied experience. This time however, it was much better. We had the seven course menu and in some respects it surpassed our earlier visits. Some dazzling cooking with beautiful presentation was on display. The wild garlic looked and tasted great. Most things were visually impressive and didn't disappoint on flavour, although some combinations didn't quite work for me.
The granites had lovely texture and surprising tastes. I wish I'd had the ten course though, as yet again, I left feeling hungry and at just £10 more this seems good value. Of all the Starred Restaurants I've been to, this is by far the tightest on ingredients and portions. I know that considerable expense goes into developing the dishes, but I would still like to see this reflected more in what you as a customer are paying for, on the plate. Portions were tiny. Not much in terms of main ingredients was on offer; one scallop, a few small cubes of salmon, a table spoon of Ox cheek, an onion, (a very nice onion, I'll give you that) .
So mixed feelings I'm afraid, but I cannot stress enough how good the cooking is and how talented is Sat Baines.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
4  Thank Bert-Camem
Reviewed March 17, 2013 via mobile

We had a special dinner here last week, and we ate in the restaurant. We did not stay over, but have done so in the past. It was a few years since we ate here last and it did not disappoint.

Firstly, whilst the location might seem odd, this place is a little oasis (one of our courses was named after the postcode of the restaurant because all the ingredients were gathered from around it). We arrived about 7pm, it was a Tuesday. A member of staff opened the door as we arrived and we were well looked after all evening.

We had the 7-course tasting menu. I am a vegetarian and had a menu as interesting as my wife's meat/fish menu.

We both opted for an optional extra egg dish and cheese course. Every course was excellent, presented perfectly and explained by the staff. One of my courses had a single smoked mushroom served from a dish with steaming pine needles. The taste and smell were fantastic and the experience unique.

We loved the fact that the dessert wine list included Canadian Ice Wine, something quite unusual and delicious if you like dessert wines.

We ended the evening with coffee and different chocolate slices infused with different flavours like cumin or hibiscus. Again, unusual and delicious.

The lounge area is just big enough, and you can also see into part of the kitchen. As you would expect, the place is well presented and very clean.

Check out their website for more details, but don't come here if cost is your concern. Do come here for a really amazing food experience.

Finally, we bought Sat Bains' book, a "cookbook" like no other. We picked it up a couple of days later signed by the man himself.

We hope to be able to come again in the summer and stay over.

• Stayed: March 2013
4  Thank Millsable
Reviewed March 13, 2013

Sat Bains is amazing restaurant, the food is out of this world. The wine list is excellent! We had the taster menu which was perfect, the reviews who said there wasn't enough are either morbidly obese or used to eating at a Toby Carvery. The food is excellently presented served with a smile and a great detail description of each course.
The cost .......... You get what you pay for. If you can't afford £800+ for four covers get ya self to Weatherspoon's I am sure you will fit in well!
Also buy his cookbook £75.00 and worth every penny I can put it down!

• Stayed: March 2013
3  Thank Davekemp
Reviewed March 9, 2013

I have to say that the food was great, but the whole experience for me has been overshadowed by the quite monstrous bill. My wife and friend honestly thought I was joking when I told them and only believed me when I actually showed them!
The four of us had the kitchen table, and the 2 lads (Tom and Dan) were very pleasant, informative and professional. We had the 10 course taster menu and the courses were very tasty, with great quality ingredients and beautifully presented - that said even for a taster menu they were very small portions.
We also had the wine package which was lovely, but a one off request to have a little more of a particular wine was met with total horror and a demand for yet more of my hard earned cash.
Sat came over a few times and again was a great host, sitting in the kitchen was really interesting and the food was great.
Would I go again - no! While it was an experience, for me there are better starred restaurants out there that offer more across the board. In all honesty the food warrants at least 4 stars. I would go as far to say 5 if the portions were a little larger. However, I just can't give 4 or 5 stars due to that bill.
So how much was the bill you ask?.....£918 for 4!!

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with friends
6  Thank Andy G
Reviewed March 4, 2013

Went with my family to Sat Bains restaurant on 2.3.13 for lunch at the Chef's table. It is simply the most amazing dining experience I have ever had. From the moment we walked into the building we were looked after. John and Tom, who cooked our 7 course tasting menu, were so friendly, informative, welcoming and as for the cooking and food itself - incredible. Sat then came and chatted to us which was the icing on the cake. I cannot recommend this experience enough, just go and enjoy - you won't be disappointed.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank l1zz1e
Reviewed March 3, 2013

i have eaten in some top restaurants ,i really love my food ,last night 02/03/2013 I ate at Sat`s i had the ten course unique menu which means you pick the ingrediants a month earlier,and .As for the bad reviews on here you know nothing,you cannot afford this everyweek,but do the beautiful restaurant.experiance if you enjoy quality in everyway food,wine ,staff also a then Sat and his team prepares you a 10 course taster menu .i also had the wine package, what can i say the food was the best i have ever tasted and explained by first class staff.Every course just blew me away ,the finest of fine dining that i have experienced, Also as the wine was delivered to the table with each course and explained by yet again such quality staff

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with friends