“Absolutely astonishing!!”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Nottingham
Restaurant Sat Bains with Rooms
Ranked #11 of 41 Hotels in Nottingham
Reviewed December 30, 2012 via mobile

This place is beyond anything I could say about food and quality. The staff are wonderful, very chatty and friendly and not in the least bit stuck up like in other places. The restaurant is relaxed and not in any way stuffy. Just modern and subtle.
The whole place is just great.
All I say is get booked in now!!

• Stayed: November 2012
1  Thank Maxipeps

Reviewed December 16, 2012

From the moment you walk towards the front door, you know you are in for a sublime experience. The door was opened on our approach and we were greeted like royalty.

We were invited to take a seat in the bar, where the sommelier charmed us with his passion and knowledge for the finest wines. The very moment a glass started to empty, he was straight over to us to refill and he did so in the most surreptitious manor.

The 10 course taster menu started off with a burst of flavour packed into the smallest cube. It was a savoury Horseradish ice cream, the size of a dice, which blew us all away. Throughout the entire meal our conversations always reverted there way back to these distinctly memorable flavour combinations, beautiful presentation and truly first class service that we were receiving.

Every meal was perfectly cooked, perfectly executed and entirely unpredictable, no matter how how hard we tried to guess. Duck Muesli being the key example of a guess that was way off.

Myself and my family were absolutely astounded by this experience, a true credit to Sat and his wonderful team. It left me puzzled slightly as to how Sat's restaurant is 2 Michelin Star and yet so incredibly faultless, but then again I'm no food critic. Regardless of stars or awards, I truly think what Sat has created here is an absolute credit to Nottingham and the East Midlands, it celebrates culinary excellence in a place I'm proud to say I live.

We will return and next time a room will definitely be on the cards.

For anyone considering a visit, you will not be disappointed and I hope it has the same affect on you that it did for myself and my family.

Thank you everyone at Restaurant Sat Baines with rooms, you've changed the way I view and taste gastronomy forever.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Steve H
Reviewed December 15, 2012

Shared a great evening here with my wife last night for my birthday having had this place recommended to me by some friends. We didnt stay at Sat Bains, just ate in the restaurant.

The venue itself is located near to the Boots HQ just off the ring road in Nottingham. Its a strange choice to have a place like this being mainly industrial and its certainly not the location for a holiday break as you would want to be closer to the city centre or countryside perhaps. Then again, when you are coming here, the experience is the food and I guess everything else is secondary.

Upon arriving at the restaurant, we were greeted by the very friendly staff and had a drink in the small bar area before taking our seat. Lets get the first and the most irritating criticsim out of the way first. I ordered a Roaring Meg beer, which is a nice bottled real ale that i have enjoyed many times before. I didnt spot it on the drink list (I just didnt look) and when the final bill arrived it was £6. You expect a mark up of drinks at restaurants/hotels but this is 4 times the cost which can be realistically purchased. I eat out regularly for business and pleasure and in some fine places and i am beginning to get increasingly irritated the mark up of drinks but SB's seems to take this to a new level.

OK, so lets get on to the positives. We had the 10 course taster menu which when you factor in the wonderful treacle bread and nettle soup could actually be regarded as 12. The food can be described as a mix of modern experimental with a hint of the traditional. I cant possibly describe each course separately but the flavours and textures were all astounding. The anticipation between each course is fabulous and you are not disappointed. A couple of the standouts were the crossover which was a kind of curry ice cream with white chocolate and the duck muesli which was just left field and such a surprise. The whole menu was very special and whilst i would have enjoyed slightly larger portions, the food itself I cant fault and the attention to detail staggering with every morsel packed with interest and flavour.

The service was quite incredible throughout with interested and friendly staff which made the whole experience quite wonderful but this brings me to the next criticism and that is the 12.5% service charge. Unlike our American cousins where one is expected to pay service charges or 'tips' to the staff due to the low wages i dont suppose the staff at SB's are in that bracket. Therefore, the presumption to pay for the service prior to actually experiencing the service is in my opinion wrong. Some other reviewers have complained about the service and so if this was justified then should they have to pay a service charge? Im not sure.

For me the service was top drawer; quite exceptional i would say however if it wasnt, would I still have to pay this? Perhaps SBs would not expect this if they had an off day?

We were the last to be seated on the day and so we could see some of the end of day cleaning and resetting for the next day through the viewing window and again, the attention to detail was in evidence with what appeared to be a military level of cleanliness and organisation in the kitchen.

They say you get what you pay for and at these costs we certainly couldnt afford to eat here every week but for a special occasion where you want a unique culinary experience then this place is highly recommended.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Richard M
Reviewed December 5, 2012

There are very few places on the planet that my wife and I frequent, life is too short. However, Sat's is one of these places. Having had the pleasure of staying again last night I can honestly say they never fail to suprise, entertain and please. Yes it's expensive, but you get what you pay for. The food, wine, service, humour, atmosphere, rooms, indeed every aspect of the experience is sublime. Just sit back and enjoy the ride! Thanks all.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 27, 2012

My wife and I stayed one night and had the 7 course tasting menu and wine package. It was the best gastronomic experience we've ever had. Each course had its own surprise and quality and it is very difficult to pick out one dish as the best. The service was impeccable without being obsequious and the sommelier knowledgeable and instructive. The room was comfortable ( although the loo was a bit of squeeze ) We will try and go again.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 21, 2012

My Girlfriend and I had the 10 course tasting menu with matching wine. Every course was amazing and the flavours were wonderful. The duck muesli and fish pie were out of this world. The matching wines were perfect . One major highlight was the Sake , which was served with the fish pie. Wonderful flavour and it has introduced me to a different kind of drink with my food.

The staff were very friendly and the service was excellent . Having been to a few one michelin star restaurants I was wondering how the food could be improved but after eating here I can see why this restaurant has 2 michelin stars .

My only criticism was that the bread served wasn't great it was hard and cold not really 2 star standard , also we didnt get any canapes which I thought was a standard for fine dining having had them in every other fine dining restaurant.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank gribbo78
Reviewed November 20, 2012

I booked A meal and room at Sat Bains for my partners 30th Birthday and went with high expectation. I (we) were not disappointed!
It was fantastic from start to finish. We had the 7 course tasting menu with the wine pairing. I was going to write about the knock out dishes but they were all amazing. I could have eaten endless bowls of the celeriac (my favourite vegetable - nice one Sat). I would recommend the wine paring to anyone. We tried some incredible wines including a sparkling saki with the apple desert which was like drinking sherbet. All of the staff were friendly and knowledgable but the sommelier made my meal, he was funny and approachable and created a relaxed atmosphere (this was welcomed by my partner and I as we have never visited a restaurant of this caliber). He has a obvious passion for his job and came to speak with us while we were having coffee in the lounge and explained to me how saki is made.
We met Sat and had the tour of the kitchen. He was a very friendly chat and again made us both feel relaxed and not out of place.
Our room was gorgeous and comfortable. Great tea and coffee making facilities (always a must), just wish we had nabbed the homemade biscuits to take home (too full to eat them at the time).
My partner was extremely pleased with his surprise. Reliving it writing this review makes me want to be back there now!
Thank-you Sat and Amanda and your lovely team you gave my partner a 30th that he won't forget.

Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple