“Very pleasant”

Ranked #41 of 49 Hotels in Nottingham
Exeter
“Very pleasant”
Reviewed November 11, 2012

Decor a bit quirky but stay was very pleasant. Location good, easy access to city centre, arboretum just across the road. Staff were friendly, facilities fine, room clean and airy. Steep stairs and no lift the main drawback.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank KDrewExeter

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (50)
Calgary
Reviewed October 12, 2012

We stayed here for 2 nights. Great location, across from the Arboretum Park and literally 15 minute walk to the castle. The room was clean, comfortable bed. We had no complaints. Reminded me a bit of Fawlty Towers on the exterior, but not the service. Everyone was very accomodating. The English breakfast was great. Would recommended this based on location, price and overall service. Not the Ritz, but good nonetheless.

Room Tip: Ask for a high floor, corner.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Jacqui W
Derby, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 7, 2012

Better than I expected for the price. I paid less than £40 a night which I thought was very cheap.
Room was nice, the bathroom less so and needs modernising. But all I needed was a cheap place to sleep, shower and change and this was more than adequate. No problems with cleanliness, new clean towells every day. Decent TV, bed comfortable, tea/coffee facilities, free parking (permit given with £20 deposit). Great location. Staff friendly.
All adds up to very very good value for money.

1 Thank kevnffc
Lichfield, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 1, 2012

Zero parking, room was tiny (1ft to spare either side of the double bed), bathroom was worse than those in travel lodge, You can hear everything going on in everyone else's rooms. Walked out and found a better hotel just down the road. Photos on the website are deceptive. Steer clear.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank carps1978

Travelers are raving about these Nottingham hotels

Worcester
Reviewed September 25, 2012

Found my room to be spotlessly clean, really spacious with good wifi strength, large TV and a really comfortable bed. Food was good and there was an excellent selection on offer. The standard of service throughout was first class and my bill was around half of what I might expect from a branded hotel for the same facilities and standards. Will definitely be adding this to my places to stay list for when I am in the Nottingham area.

1 Thank Leisuresafe
Colchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 25, 2012

I stayed in this hotel for 3 nights and as I was travelling alone on business and only really needed the room as a base to sleep, I booked an extra-small single without breakfast. This proved to be a mistake. The room was "tiny", so it certainty was as described. I found the room a little chrostophobic at times. It certainty had everything you would expect from a hotel room; desk, chair, hair-dryer, telephone etc... The flat-screen TV mounted on the wall was very good, picking up all freeview channels. Wi-Fi was free of charge and relatively fast. The only criticism I have with the Wi-Fi is that no security password is used on the network, so it is certainly not the safest. The location of the hotel is perfect, close to the city centre and a few minutes walk from the nearest tram stop.

The room was not very clean. The skirting boards were filthy and there were cobwebs all over the chandelier. There was a tissue dispenser on the bedside table and behind this I had the pleasure of finding used tissues. There was a dirty stairwell by the window. I had the beautiful view of what appeared to be a student house/hostel. The maids’ service I received each day was excellent and although not properly cleaned, the room was left tidy with fresh towels and a well-made bed.

The en-suite was small. To use the shower there was a need to make a skilled and agile manoeuvre over the toilet. When seated on the toilet, my forehead was practically touching the wall. The sink was in the room, but this wasn't really a problem.

The bed was comfortable. The hotel, however, was noisy. The building is old, with lots of character, so sound without any doubt carried throughout. For example I could hear the room next to me using their en-suite and a TV from a room down the hall from me. I didn't have the best nights sleep, for all 3 nights of my stay.

Before booking the hotel I asked about parking, as the hotel is located in a residential parking area. I was told that the hotel had parking permits that were allocated on a "first come first served" basis. However, when I went to reception to ask for a permit, I was told that the hotel was fully booked during my stay and using a permit was unlikely. The only real option I had was to wait around until 11am each morning in the hope that a guest would checkout and return their permit. This was not an option, so I moved my car to the local park and ride, Forest Fields, about a ten-minute walk from the hotel. Although I was not happy about leaving my car there overnight, nothing happened to it.

Overall, the hotel is very good for the price paid. The room was priced at just £30 a night. In my opinion the hotel just needs a good thorough clean. Be warned an extra small single is as descried. I am in two-minds whether I would use the hotel again. If I did, I would certainly book a bigger room.

Sunderland, United
Reviewed September 22, 2012 via mobile

Can't believe how good this is for 38 euros for a twin. Rooms spacious and well furnished, staff friendly, even has garden. On main tram line so just follow it to reach town and back again. Nice location too. Floors uneven but with 2 lounges and plasmas in the modern rooms its got the wow factor for less than a travel lodge would have cost.

• Stayed September 2012