“Fire Alarms, Powercuts, and money taken without permission”

Park Plaza Nottingham
Ranked #23 of 49 Hotels in Nottingham
GreenLeadersBronze level
London, United Kingdom
“Fire Alarms, Powercuts, and money taken without permission”
Reviewed September 14, 2013

Oddly, I think I would be writing a good review if the first night wasn't interrupted by a fire alarm at 3.15am. Chief Fire Officer didn't instill confidence when he told assembled guests (after 45 mins) that, when the power comes on, it may trigger alarm again :( I stayed 3 days, and we had 3 power cuts that I know of; perhaps more. As a result, wifi was intermittent (expensive at £7.99 an hour!), and tv would turn itself off after 30 seconds.

Breakfast service was good, and staff were lovely. However, the most serious incident was on checking out, they informed me that they would refund nearly £400 that they had taken from my account (without my permission). My room was paid for by my university (which I had explained on check in) but they still took the money. A colleague had money taken as well, so I suspect they do this regularly, so be very careful. If not illegal, then this is very shady practice, as you will not see this money again for 10 days! Sorry #ParkPlaza, but this is simply not a way to keep customers.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
RachelT T, Manager at Park Plaza Nottingham, responded to this review, September 21, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to post your review.
We apologize for the concerns you shared about your experience at the hotel especially in relation for the power outages and the fire alarms during your stay with us. We are pleased to say that the intermittent fault has now been resolved.
In relation to the amount charged I trust this matter has been resolved, however if you wish to discuss your stay further than please do not hesitate to contact me.

Operations Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (269)
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
Birmingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 10, 2013

Great Hotel to stay in, Excellent restaurant! I've stayed here in this hotel for 2 and a half months on business. The staff are all helpful and go over and beyond to help guess. Sometimes they get it wrong but they get an "E" for Effort, which is a good thing. I wont say that my stay here has been 100% grand and dandy but it has been homely.

There are a few issues that the hotel needs to sort out, i wont name them, but i believe every hotel has issue that needs sorting out. The question is does management care that these issues get sorted and puts actions in place to rectify problems? At first i thought "no", until i had the chance to speak to the GM Tom today. I will say that i don't think this Hotel or any by far goes out there way for something negative to happen, for example fire alarm. Just as long as the problem is being rectifield and looked into and customers are aware of a situation thats fine.

I've seen good and bad reviews of this hotel and i can understand peoples frustrations as i've been frustrated at times in different hotels, and i believe people put in reviews while their angry or upset. I on the other hand had a chance to state my concerns with the GM and am quite greatful for the opportunity to do so, that way he could hear my concerns as a customer and i can hear his as a GM. With all that siad i've given a review of "Very Good" and would say if anyone has any concerns all it takes is a "Talk".

Thanks again for my 2 and a half months and wish you all the best for the future.

dw

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for taking the time to post your review.
I am pleased to know that you were happy with your overall stay at the Hotel and it’s great to know that you have had the chance to meet with our General Manager Tom Waldron- Lynch.
It’s been a pleasure to look after you and I hope that you will visit us again sometime in the future

Sheffield, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 7, 2013

A perfectly suitable hotel for an overnight stay in Nottingham. Acceptable sized room - but you'll need the earplugs provided if you're a light sleeper as due to its fantastically convenient central location it can get a little noisy outside at night!

Parking is not a problem if you don't mind the very short walk over the road to the NCP multi-storey. Parking is discounted (£9 a night) by the hotel once they validate your ticket and is very convenient.

The hotel itself is nothing special decour wise and may be a little on the expensive side given the surrounding competition - but if you can get a deal then go for it!

Room Tip: The higher up the better for reduced outside noise.
Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your review.
I am pleased you enjoyed your stay in our hotel and enjoyed the convenient location and found the car parking to be convenient just being across the road.
As you said you enjoyed the location we look forward to welcoming you back again

London
Reviewed September 6, 2013

FIRST OFF - BIG FAT WARNING: if you want to park your car you have to do so the other side of the main road in one of the NCP multi-storey car parks. This means that if you are carrying a lot of luggage you are best off dropping this off at the hotel first, which means stopping on a main road on what I believe is a bus lane.......it's a right pain in the butt.

As fot the hotel - it's fine. The lobby area is like a dentists waiting room but with less life or atmosphere......

The front desk staff are nice, efficient and smiley but when I was offered the chance to upgrade my room and I asked what the difference was, the lady answered "£ 15". That's not really what I meant.....

There's no bar as such, but there's an asian fusion restaurant into which one can walk straight from the lobby.

The room was fine - quite large, well appointed and quiet.

Modern furnishings, nice bathroom and great value for money (I paid less than £ 60).

Would I stay here again - possibly - but I'm going to try somewhere else next month.

Location is great if you want to walk into the central area - literally 'round the corner and 5 mins stroll.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for your review.
I am sorry you felt troubled by dropping you bags off at the Hotel. It is not ideal for not being able to drop directly outside the Hotel front door however if you pull into St James street near the lighting shop a member of staff are always free to help you into the Hotel with any luggage.
If you choose not to use the NCP car parks we offer valet parking for £15 per night and a driver can take care of your car whilst unloading in St James Street.
I am pleased to hear you enjoyed your overall stay with us and found the Hotel to be in a good location.
We look forward to welcoming you back in the not too distant future

Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed September 4, 2013

I used to live in Nottingham and have been in the hotel trade for over 30 year's. Recently I returned for friends wedding staying at the Park plaza for five night's and wow I had a great stay lovely welcome at reception and fully informed about the hotel. My room was perfect beautifully clean and the attention to detail was perfect, bottled water readily available, tea and coffee facilities were readily available and fresh with tasty biscuits. The bet was large with fresh crisp linens and so comfortable, I can't fault.
My first visit to the bar I found it of little character and I was a bit disappointed but my disappointment was soon dispelled by very friendly and attentive staff who made me feel so welcome and created an atmosphere with all guests giving a fun vibe to the bar. Special mention to Pawel who made my guest's and myself feel special.
I only dined in the restaurant once and I have to say my starter and main was fantastic , as I was dining alone once my main was over I felt the staff wanted me gone. I had to grab a girl to take my dessert order and after ordering I had to wait quite a time for my dessert to arrive even the restaurant manager seemed irritated with me but again Pawel saved the day and spoting me sorted everything out and I left happy and satisfied.
Well done to all the team in the Park Plaza Hotel I look forward to seeing you all again soon.

• Stayed July 2013
Thank you for taking the time to post a review.
From your review I can see you stayed in one of our Executive rooms and I am pleased to hear that you enjoyed our large spacious rooms plus enjoyed the amenities in the room.
I am sorry if you felt rush in regards to you meal in Chino Latino however it’s great to know that Pawel too good care of you in the bar.
Thank you for your kind comments and we look forward to welcoming you back

Perth, Western Australia, Australia
Reviewed September 4, 2013

My husband and I stayed at this hotel for 2 nights in August 2013 and was very pleasantly surprised at how wonderful our stay was. The room we had was very large and clean and on a high floor not too close to the lifts as requested. From check-in to check-out, to dining in the restaurant and drinking fabulous cocktails in the bar, from the excellent location of the hotel, to the ambience and friendliness - we could not fault it and will definitely be staying there again when we revisit Nottingham again. Highly recommended for rooms, dining, bar experience, location location location and friendliness.

Room Tip: We had a high level 9th floor room and this was very quite and the AC didn't bother us noise wis...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
It is very pleasant to hear that you enjoyed every aspect of the Hotel and Restaurant, plus you enjoyed our award winning Restaurant Chino Latino and cocktail bar.
It great to know you will be recommending us to others, thank you!
We look forward to welcoming you back
Reviewed September 3, 2013

Room was nice with aircon and comfy bed but windows was disgustingly dirty pictures in room very dusty breakfast was very noisy could not relax house keeping staff walked into room without knocking but apart from that friendly staff

• Stayed September 2013
Thank you for taking the time to post your review
I am pleased to hear you had a pleasant stay with us. In terms of your comments regarding our Housekeeping I will certainly investigate what happened as this is not our normal standard
It is great to know that the staff took good care of you and you found them to be friendly.
I hope to welcome you back soon.