“Good for one night only”

Park Plaza Nottingham
Ranked #21 of 41 Hotels in Nottingham
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed June 9, 2013

I have stayed here a dozen times for one/two night stays for work purposes.The executive rooms are a fairly decent size, relative to other hotels that I've stayed in within the same price bracket. The beds are big and comfortable. The main disappointment is the bathroom. They are quite dated and the showers are very week. Another downside is the cost of the breakfast - it.s expensive and this is normally included in the room rate at similar hotels. To sum up, it's fine for a one night stay if you're not expecting any frills. I'm always looking forward to getting home after the second night though.

Stayed: June 2013, traveled on business
Write a ReviewReviews (2,039)

Reviewed June 2, 2013

My partner and I decided to have a night away from our little one and picked Nottingham as it is a vibrant city and my other half loved her time at uni there.
We have stayed in other hotels in the city before but booked this through lastminute.com as one of their secret hotels. We really wish we hadn't!
We were disappointed that the room was on the small side ad were slightly bemused by the complimentary ear plugs - we assumed they were because our room was close to the lifts and we wondered if they would be noisy during the night. Needless to say, the lifts were the least of our worries!
Returning from a meal and drinks later we were shocked by how much music we could hear from the bars below, we went to close the window to find it was actually closed and rather ill-fitting.
By midnight my partner realised that she would not be able to sleep (despite the ear plugs) and phoned reception to see if we could be moved rooms, we were immediately told that the hotel was full and that would not be an option, the receptionist helpfully suggested we close the blackout curtain(!) this did nothing to alleviate the noise and we were then offered complimentary breakfast and a bottle of wine which we declined - breakfast was included in the room rate and we really did not feel like drinking. We were told rather forcefully that a refund would not be offered as we had booked through lastminute.com We were then offered a complimentary night in the hotel at a later date. My partner said she would speak with me and we would discuss it with someone on reception on check out.
Had we known how much we would be disturbed by the noise we would not have stayed here. It got to the stage where we contemplated either a) finding another hotel or b) driving home.
We 'stuck it out' and the noise ended at 3.30am approximately, only to be replaced a few hours later by the chimes from the clock in the market square.
When we checked out my partner mentioned her conversation in the early hours of the morning and we were told once again that our stay would not be refunded as we had booked through lastminute.com and that the current receptionist would have to speak to the night receptionist as she did not know if a complimentary stay had indeed been offered (we were told that the usual practice is to offer discounted stays)
I now wait with baited breath for 11pm when the night receptionist starts her shift and e-mails me to hopefully resolve this farce to our satisfaction.
How this hotel is classed as a 4* hotel is beyond me - we would have been better staying in a Holiday Inn! At least then you know what you are getting.
We will not be recommending this hotel to family and friends; rather the opposite, in fact we wish we had stayed at either the Rutland Square Hotel or the Britannia Hotel which are both literally seconds away from the Park Plaza.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
RachelT T, Manager at Park Plaza Nottingham, responded to this reviewResponded June 8, 2013

Thank you for your review. I’m very sorry for the stay which you experienced and that we couldn’t move your room as we were fully booked.
After further investigation it appears that Tiffany our Night auditor had emailed you but the email address provided bounced back. I am very that you didn’t receive the email she sent to you.
I understand your complaint has now been resolved and I am sorry to have received this review on trip advisor.

Regards

Reviewed June 2, 2013

Stayed the night 1st June 2013 for the Rod Stewart concert at Capital FM Arena nearby. Upon arrival felt slightly disappointed on no car park but was informed of multi storey NCP opposite which was more than adequate and the hotel has valet and discount parking facilities.
At reception dealt with very promptly and professionally and informed that we were upgraded to a Junior Suite on top floor of hotel on 10th floor - which was nice!
Went to reconnoiter the route for concert later and look at the city. The tattooists and dentists must be very busy in this city!
Anyway, arranged dinner in the Chino Restaurant within the hotel for early evening which was superb. A fusion of Asian cooking. It tasted sublime! Service was ok albeit that our waitress appeared to be a little grumpy. It started a fantastic night. Concert was awesome and then back through the city to confirm my initial impressions, to the hotel. The side aspect or the hotel is on St James Street, this is great if you want very cheap take away food, karaoke bars, wine bars etc, but not a good nights sleep as we found out. I have stayed in about 250 plus hotels around the world, this is the only one that I have found that issues ear plugs left neatly by the side of the bed! The racket from various Hen/Stag parties and associated P##s heads went on until about 4 am whereby we eventually slipped into a sleep reduced coma until about 8.
This is not the hotel's fault of course, but the double glazier who sorted the hotel windows should be made to sleep there for a month and then check his response! He would probably be a little too weary to comment. One must also contextualise this in as much that we were at least 100 feet plus in the air on the top floor, goodness knows what it must be like on 2nd floor etc?
Breakfast - excellent. Greeted by our waitress Rochea who was genuinely interested in her job and charming with it - great girl. The Maitre d Bernadette was really on top of her game and equally as charming! She was chivvying her crew together and greeting people with real interest and persona, lovely lady. The breakfast tasted brilliant. A self service buffet style but really well cooked and tasted superb. My only gripe is an ergonomic one and involves the siting of the toaster. One of the large roll on roll of types often associated with hotels, people began to queue as the room got more busy and that coupled with the queue for the hot breakfast buffet - caused a log jam where the staff were trying to enter and egress the kitchen. Suggestion - put the toaster down the other end or make people queue up for breakfast the other way so as to not affect your staff's noble efforts to remove used dishes and replenish foodstuffs as required.
After our superb breakfast I went to reception to pay the bill. The total price was £200 for evening meal and bed and breakfast which was excellent value for money.
The manageress Sarah was also really professional and a pleasure to be with. Well done all concerned. The hotel is fantastic because of you- shame about St James Street!

Room Tip: Away from St James Street side!
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple

Thank you for your review and especially for mentioning the teak who took great care of you during your stay
I am pleased to hear you had a great stay with us and we hope we can welcome you back to the Hotel in the not too distant future.

Reviewed May 31, 2013

I chose this hotel based on 3 criteria, location, car park and restaurant and was not disappointed with any of them.

I was going to opt for valet parking but as luck would have it I got a space right next to the valet parking! Result.
Its a bit of a walk to the hotel, well in the howling wind and rain it is, normally I imagine it to be just around the corner.

Check in was swift and uncomplicated and the receptionist gave me the option of a smoking room, its been a long time since I was offered one of those so thought I would take advantage, given the horrible weather it would nice to smoke inside rather than freezing and soaked outside.
The room was a good size, very clean, nice big comfy bed, decorated quite trendily, although not much of a view as we were at the back, and it did feel very decadent smoking inside.
Lots of enclosed wardrobe space, robes, etc and a nice big TV.

Dinner was amazing, scallops to start followed by fish again, the service was great and it really made the evening as I discovered the most fabulous cocktails at the bar afterwards.
I would highly recommend the Park Plaza and look forward to returning.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with friends
RachelT T, Manager at Park Plaza Nottingham, responded to this reviewResponded June 5, 2013

It is great to read reviews such as yours it is very valuable feedback can pass down to the team to motivate them a assure them that we are proud of the Hotel we work in.
I am pleased that you had a swift check in and that you enjoyed tour food in our Rosette Restaurant Chino Latino.
We look forward to welcoming you back to the Hotel

Reviewed May 25, 2013

I can't say enough about how great everyone that worked at the hotel was. Laura was our reservations manager and completely sorted us out with an early check in.
We had been traveling overnight after working a few 16 hour days in a row. She stayed overnight to greet us and make sure that all of our rooms were cleaned and turned around as quickly as possible. We were very happy!
Now, a bit of the down side.
Once I got up to my room, it immediately smelled like smoke. I hate smoke. Not the hotels fault. Obviously, some nincompoop figured that if he opened the window, nobody would be the wiser. Guess what, that stench sticks to everything in it's path. I opened up the window and a gigantic windstorm kept slamming them shut with authority.
I called down to make sure that it would get sorted out. They promised to send someone up to neutralize the odor. It didn't happen. Oh, well.
The bed was brutal. It was a "King" bed which was actually 2 small beds pushed together. This is huge thing over here in Europe. I don't get it. It creates a huge gap in the middle of the bed.
I can sleep on one side, so no worries. Both sides had obviously been slept in. A lot. Big huge craters. Super uncomfortable bed.
TV was not great. Not that many channels to choose from.
Internet was free. And absolutely useless. I spent the whole day "working" and didn't get much done. I couldn't even attach a 30kb Word Doc on an email and send it. Very frustrating.
The location of the hotel couldn't be any better. You are surrounded by beautiful old buildings and lots of restaurants to choose from. Nottingham Castle is a mere 2 blocks away. Robin Hood is over there!
Breakfast was passable. Once again, the staffing outshone the product served.
If the management put a bit of money into some upgrades, this would be a 5 star joint in no time due to the excellent service offered. Top to bottom, everyone was nice and helpful. Now just fix the place up!

Room Tip: Room 806 was not great. Bed was terrible, smelled like smoke.
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled on business

I am very pleased to hear that you enjoyed your time at the Hotel and found the team to be friendly especially Laura.
We take on board your comments and will discuss your review with our General Manager so that it is also viewed by our head office.
We hope to welcome you back to the Hotel soon on your next visit to Nottingham

Reviewed May 17, 2013

We have just spent a night here and had to comment on the delightful attitude of every single member of staff that we met. The hotel is very central and our room with very nice with a modern bathroom. The staff could not have been more helpful or courteous whether it was carrying bags, arranging car parking or producing a snack meal at short notice. Would definitely recommend.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
RachelT T, Manager at Park Plaza Nottingham, responded to this reviewResponded May 25, 2013

it’s really nice to hear such lovely comments about the staff and be assured I will be sharing your comments with the team.
I am pleased that you would recommend us and we hope to see you again soon.

Reviewed May 14, 2013

Really great hotel in a fantastic location! We booked a Park Plaza package as I've stayed in the past & had a great stay so had every reason to stay again with the added option of having a late checkout. The service we received was very welcoming & helpful, reception staff took the time to consider and accommodate all of our needs. We had chocolates & small wine bottles brought up to the room as part of the package I booked. The bedroom was clean & comfortable with lots of storage space. The breakfast spread offers a nice variety in the spacious hotel restaurant The only downside is that the car park is not right next to the hotel but only a few mins walk away from the hotel, it could also be cheaper or free!

Room Tip: Buy a Park Plaza package for a later checkout, chocs & wine!
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
RachelT T, Manager at Park Plaza Nottingham, responded to this reviewResponded May 16, 2013

I am pleased to know you have chosen to stay with us again and that you enjoy our hotel once again plus the Park Plaza plus package you had delivered to your room.
I will pass your very positive comments on to the team to show your appreciation.
Just so you know for next time you stay, we offer discounted parking in St James Street car park and Mount street car park which are directly across the road from the Hotel. The cost is £9.00 for 24 hours when you validate your ticket at reception before leaving the car park.
We look forward to welcoming you to the Hotel again.