“Lovely Stay”

GreenLeadersBronze level
London, United Kingdom
“Lovely Stay”
Reviewed February 25, 2013

I have read negative reviews of the Park Plaza but I had no complaints about the stay and my mother was beside herself with the upgrades to executive suites we were given. The reception, staff and welcome were friendly and efficient and helpful. My only real gripe about the rooms were that they were close to the lifts and the sound of them operating. The executive suites were spacious and clean, even if some of the furniture was looking a little worn around the edges and the TVs were not modern flat screens but were watchable. The aircon could be a little noisy, the price you pay for individual control but I have stayed in many 5 star hotels where the A/C has been noisy and intrusive. There is an off switch and, unlike other hotles I have stayed in with noisy A/C at least the Plaza provide earplugs! I found the bed comfortable, I do not usually sleep well in strange beds but I had a good nights sleep.

Breakfast was the usual hot and cold type buffet but with a chef on hand to prepare special orders, eggs to you own taste and, veggie sausages so we had no complaints there. The surroundings were clean and modern and again the staff were friendly and efficient. The location was great for the town centre and market place too, despite the lack of parking which was my own real bug-bear.

I would stay at the plaza again and would recommend it to others for a weekend or mid-week break.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
RachelT T, Manager at Park Plaza Nottingham, responded to this review, April 17, 2013
I am pleased to hear that you enjoyed one of our Executive rooms and you found the staff to be, friendly, efficient and helpful.
I am pleased to hear that the chef offered you your egg choice and that you enjoyed Breakfast.
I am pleased to hear that you will be back soon.
Operations Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (269)
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 25, 2013

Not sure this hotel is up to its price and rating. Lobby area - which doubles as a bar - is very basic and unwelcoming, facing onto a main road. Rooms are OK. One thing I really liked which I had never come across before was that you get offered the chance to request a cut price upgrade once you have made the booking. I had already booked an exec room and requested an upgrade to a junior suit, whic was a bit of a waste as it wasn;t luxurious, just bigger. Should have booked a superior and held out for the Exec. But what is it with the young folk of Nottingham? Screaming and shouting on the streets at 10pm at night, so that's what the ear plugs are for!!
A couple of other nasties lead me to say above its rating - the mouth wash in my room was half empty (Yuk! put me right off the comlementary water) and the windows could seriously do with a clean

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for your review.
I am sorry that you did not like our Design lead contemporary bar in the Lobby area of the Hotel. The discounted upgrade option is only offered subject to availability so the enhancement is not always there but it’s a tool to help guests enjoy an executive upgrade at a discounted rate when we have lots of availability.
In terms of the mouth wash, please accept my sincere apologises this is not our normal high standard and please be assured this will be followed up with the attendant that serviced your room.
I do hope you will stay with us again.
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 20, 2013

Hotel was great - modern, stylish, easy to find and rooms were a good size.

However, Wifi didn't work particularly well and the front-office staff tried to make suggestions despite clearly not understanding the technology. IT support were of little help and couldn't get it to work.

On checkin there was only one person on the desk and I stood waiting for 15 mins whilst they dealt with another guest's lost booking.

What was by far the worst was the terrible noise from students on a pub crawl (apparently). It was impossible to sleep and the reason for the ear-plugs by the bed suddenly apparent.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
RachelT T, Manager at Park Plaza Nottingham, responded to this review, April 9, 2013
I am pleased to hear that you liked the Hotel but are sorry to hear you had problems with our WiFi.
I am sorry you had to wait to check in I will address this with the front desk team and find out what happened.
I do hope you chose to stay with us again.
Operations Manager

Travelers are raving about these Nottingham hotels

UK
Reviewed February 20, 2013

I have been staying at this hotel once or twice per week for the past couple of months, and have had a consistently good experience on every occasion.

Check-in service is efficient and welcoming, even at peak times. Rooms of all grades are a comfortable size, clean, and well maintained. Room service is very efficient and reasonably priced. The mini-bar has a reasonable selection at average prices, and all rooms contain a decent iron and ironing board. A couple of rooms I've stayed in have shown the odd sign of wear and tear, but are in generally in good order.

The air conditioning in this hotel is starting to show its age, and is a touch on the noisy side. This doesn't tend to bother me too much, but I generally turn off before sleep in any case. From around the third floor upwards, rooms are reasonably quiet at night despite the city centre location.

Room rates are very reasonable for the standard of hotel and level of service (I book direct through the Club Carlson website), and the experience has been consistently good on each stay. For a business traveller, this hotel meets expectations and offers no surprises.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
It is really pleasing to here that the team look after you and that you are receiving a consistent service each time you stay with us.
I am pleased to hear that you are taking advantage of the Club Carlson program and that you are receiving the benefits.
We look forward to welcoming you back again.
Leicester, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 17, 2013

I really struggled to decide where to stay as the feedback for many hotels was mixed, carparks were described as being 'nearby' which could be highly subjective or the cost was high for the time i would be spending there, given I did not expect to arrive till around 9pm.

I am glad I chose the Park Plaza. The car park was literally just across the road (I have parked further away in on site car parks at other hotels), it was centrally located and the rooms were clean and not cramped, despite me choosing a standard room (i think this chain calls them 'superior', with 'executive' being the upgrade, though I am told the only real difference is the size of the bed)

Check in took a while as there was a queue and, though we checked out first thing, I had to return to collect my case and validate the ticket and there was a HUGE queue. It might be worth checking if you can validate the car park ticket on check in to save hassle later. It is worth getting it validated, though, as it cuts the charge by 50% (saving 8.50 on 24hrs).

I didn't eat in the hotel so cant comment on that aspect of the service, but all staff I came across seemed friendly and courteous.

The only warning I would offer relates to left luggage; i left my case in the morning and got a ticket for it, but when I returned in the evening it was still sitting next to the reception desk and, as it was busy, I was able to remove it without challenge. So, if you need to leave luggage, it may be worth waiting until you see them put it somewhere secure before leaving the building.

All in all, I was happy with my choice and would stay there again if I was heading to the city.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
I am pleased that you chose Park Plaza Nottingham after your research to stay in Nottingham and it lived up to your expectations.
I am sorry about the Hotel being so busy that you had to queue, I have addressed with the Front desk team about the Luggage left in Reception.
I am pleased to hear that you would choose to stay with us again and look forward to welcoming you back soon.
United Kingdom
Reviewed February 17, 2013

Booked (and paid for) this hotel online a fortnight in advance through a booking agent. When checking in, I was charged again for the room. I was not best pleased but after a couple of phone calls, the problem was rectified and upon check out I was refunded the second payment the hotel charged me.

The bed was very big and the sheets were lovely. The bed dipped slightly in the middle which tells me it's quite an old bed. We had a great sleep though.

Apart from a suspicious looking hair in the bath, the room was immaculately clean! It was spacious and the facilities were satisfactory - what I expected. The ironing board and complimentary bath/shower gel came in handy.

The only things I would have changed was the television, It was quite old fashioned and I would have preferred an LCD. The complimentary tea and coffee making facilities were okay. We had two cups of coffee each during our stay, one of which was decaf, I would have preferred more choice to be honest. There was actually more tea and sugar than coffee. Complimentary biscuits would have been a nice touch too, Iv'e had them in other hotels, so I was slightly disappointed when there weren't any.

This Hotel is in such a great Location, right next to a Wetherspoons, and a minutes walk from the Old Market Square - so that's a 10 out of 10.

All in all we had a clean and comfortable stay, which is what we wanted - I'd book again :)

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
RachelT T, Manager at Park Plaza Nottingham, responded to this review, April 8, 2013
I am pleased to hear that you would choose to stay with us again, you had a good nights sleep and found the rooms to be spacious and clean.
I am very sorry to hear about the mix up with the payment of your reservation but am pleased to hear this was promptly rectified.
We look forward to welcoming you back soon.
Cambridge, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 17, 2013

Booked for valentines weekend ws expecting a nice 4 star hotel but the is a 3 star at a push! The rooms are very basic and could of done with a lick of paint, air con very loud and breakfast is a complete rip off! Only plus side is the staff were very helpful just a shame the hotel is in need of an update!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your review.
We are in fact a 4 star hotel and not a 5 star. I am sorry that you did not like our Breakfast; we have many positive comments about our breakfast.
In terms of the condition of the room, we are awaiting our capital investment to be approved. I will have this room immediately looked into and request for a full redecoration which is something we can do straight away.
I do hope that you will stay with us again in the future and feel free to call me at the Hotel should you wish to discuss your stay further