“Good and bad in parts” 3 of 5 bubbles

GreenLeadersBronze level
East Mids UK
“Good and bad in parts”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 2, 2013

The Good:
Reduced price parking at local NCP Multi Storey (Cost £17.43 for 2 days)
Food at evening event
Bar - great atmosphere
Service - friendly & professional
Meeting facilities - good rooms and coffee & snacks outside
The Bad:
Car Park is across a dual carriageway. I know Nottingham quite well, but it is not easy to find. Put 'Rutland Street' in the sat nav and you will get to it. Although discounted, I still resent paying to park when I stay at a hotel.
Bedroom had no proper cutains, just the net ones and I think when you have the lights on people can see in, so that felt uncomfortable even though I was on a higher floor.
Although the bathroom was nice enough, the room was nothing special at all.
There is a building site next to the hotel, so it is a bit of a mess there at the moment

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
RachelT T, Manager at Park Plaza Nottingham, responded to this review, January 14, 2013
I am pleased to hear that you enjoyed the facilities at the Hotel and you found the team to be friendly and professional.
I am sorry to hear that you struggled to find the NCP car park; we do offer a valet service a driver is available until 10pm to take away your car to a privately owned secure car park charges of £15 per night do apply so the NCP is the cheaper option.
in terms of the curtains some guests think we do not have curtains, only net in the room but we do in fact have black out curtains at the back of the net curtains.
There is a building site next to the hotel at present which is causing no disruption to guests at present, the positive to this is that once the project is complete we will inherited some parking of our own for the Hotel.
I hope we can welcome you back to the Hotel soon.
Operations Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (266)
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
Oslo, Norway
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 27, 2012

Spent three nights here in a executive room, money well spent! Didn't use the restaurant or the gym, but the breakfast was excellent, the service was faultless, the location was perfect, and the room was very good. Will definitely stay here again!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
RachelT T, Manager at Park Plaza Nottingham, responded to this review, December 31, 2012
Thank you for posting such a positive review it is always nice to know that the team are looking after our guests I am also pleased that you enjoyed Breakfast. If you haven’t eaten in our Restaurant Chino Latino I can assure you that you would be even more pleased with the Hotel as the food is simply amazing!
We look forward to welcoming you back in the not too distant future.

Ballyclare, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 25, 2012

I've been staying at this hotel on business for weeks and they never fail to delight. The facilities are excellent - a gym on the eleventh floor, a first class restaurant, nice, well appointed rooms, it's a treat to stay here. They have irons in the rooms and the mirrors in the bathroom even have a defogger so you can shave after you get out of the shower.

The people, though, make this hotel a treat to stay out. They are all genuinely friendly and helpful, from the manager through to anyone you run across in the halls. They just can't help enough and always do so with a pleasant smile. I recommend this hotel to any business traveller or anyone who wants to enjoy a stay at a top class hotel. Other hotels in the area should send their staff to the Park Plaza so they can learn how to treat their guests.

• 5 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for writing such a lovely review, I am pleased that you enjoyed our Hotel.
We appreciate the positive comments regarding the facilities and attentiveness of the staff and we would look forward to welcoming you back again in the future!

uk
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 25, 2012

Room shabby, parts of it unclean. Bed awful, pillows the worst ive experienced (I stay in hotels every week with work). I was on the 9th floor, the noise was horrendous from the street below, so bad that I checked out at 01.30 and drove 3 hours to another hotel! They did offer a change of room but no thanks...now I know what the complimentary ear plugs are for!

Room Tip: Easy - stay somewhere else!
1 Thank fizzy52
Thank you for your review, I am sorry to read that you were disappointed with elements of your recent stay with us and are sorry you chose to check out of the Hotel. I am surprised being located on the 9th floor that the noise was so awful however being in the city centre and it being the height of the Christmas party season I am sure this was possible.
I do hope that you give us another chance to stay with us again.

Midlands
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 17, 2012

On December 12th I wrote the following review on PP Nottingham entitled “Let’s wait and see”:

Stopped over at PP Nottingham this week-end. However, before I write my review I will wait to see what happens with an issue I have just raised with them. The hotel offers a concessionary car park rate in the NCP opposite the hotel. The overnight rate in the car-park was quoted by the hotel as being £8.00 if they swiped/pre-authorised the ticket which they duly did on our departure. When I got to the ticket machine the charge was £17.00. I have just spoken to the hotel who have advised that they would "potentially" consider reimbursement if I took the ticket to them. Given I am let's say more than a few miles from Nottingham we have agreed after a "little" conversation to enable this by e-mail. I will update you all on if this is done/the measure of their customer service in a week.

Post the initial review of December 12th:
I am delighted to say that the hotel has agreed to the refund and did it very efficiently. Thanks go to Laura C for this.

The hotel location is good for a city/theatre break that we went on. The rooms some of our friends and us were in were rooms 16 & 17 on different floors. The rooms whilst small and compact were OK for just a quick change, shower, get ready to go out and an overnight stay but check this out… On the bedside table were two sets of earplugs…??? Rooms 16 & 17 are above St James’s street (one of the busiest night-life side streets in Nottingham and our room air-con was also just plain noisy) so guess what the ear plugs are for…??? When you get in at past mid-night on a Saturday night, you then know what the ear-plugs are for…!!! The hotel in general was OK, drinks expensive but then in it is a city centre hotel, but shame on the reception staff for not telling us these rooms are subject to noise nuisance etc. Had Laura C not done her customer service bit over the parking it would have been 2 stars not 3 for not informing us on the noise thing in rooms 16 & 17

Room Tip: Do not get allocated rooms 16 & 17 on whichever floor
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
RachelT T, Manager at Park Plaza Nottingham, responded to this review, December 18, 2012
Thank you for your sharing your experiences from your stay with us. It’s fair to say that we do have some rooms that are on the smaller side and some of our superior rooms are larger than others. The location is does not always cause a nuisance but appreciate your frustration.
I am sorry that the parking did not work when it was initially validated by our Reception team and I am pleased to hear that Laura sorted this out for you
In light of your overall experience I hope we can welcome you back to the Hotel. Please contact me directly so I can personally discuss your location of room in the hotel.

England
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 16, 2012

On first appearance this looks a good hotel but my stay was marred by the effluent smell which sporadically came from the bathroom and the noise from the bar across the road from my hotel room. I should have realised it was going to be bad when i spotted the two set of ear plugs on the bedside table leading me to assume that people have complained previously.

The receptionist also failed to explain to me where my room was, it was quite hidden and I had to ask a member of staff where it was. I stayed in room 117 which is in a cupboard off the lift lobby along with room 115.

The curtains in the room didn't close fully and the bathroom door didn't shut either so I was unable to block out the light and smell.

As he hotel does not have its own car park, I paid for the valet parking advertised on its website. I was told that the valet service was at the side of the hotel and when I arrived this was a building site. I had to go into the hotel to check I was in the right place. I must say the valet parking was the best part of my stay as I paid to have my car valeted at the same time and it was spotless the next day!

All in all this could be a good hotel, but as I was staying only one night, my experience was not worth me complaining about at the time. I was quite glad to leave.

Room Tip: Don't stay in 117!
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for your review.
I am sorry to hear that your room was not to our usual high standards but I am pleased to hear the valet company did a great job of your car.
In terms of the drop off point which you used, we are now using a different area for you to arrive with your car due to the nearby construction works. But are now advising our guests to pre book your valet parking where possible to avoid disappointment.
Please feel free to contact me should you wish to discuss your review further as I appreciate your room was not right.
Operations Manager.
Reading, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 12, 2012

Snooty front desk staff, noisy air-con/heating, dirty floors, faulty lights, old-fashioned TV set, no wireless internet, uncomfortable pillows, main road traffic noise in the front, massive construction in the back, cold un-welcoming lobby, shall I go on....? That within the first 30 minutes upon check in!
Barely anybody working here - had to wait forever for anybody to notice I was at the front desk, and once in my room, it took me 10 minutes of constant calling before somebody answered the phone to issue me with the internet code (for which one has to pay).
£125 for a dirty old-fashioned noisy so-called "Executive Room" is a total rip-off!

1 Thank ClauClau82
RachelT T, Manager at Park Plaza Nottingham, responded to this review, December 14, 2012
Thank you for your review.
I was disappointed to read your review about the welcome you received from the Hotel.
Sorry to hear you found our Reception team to be snooty; this is not the usual comments we receive about our Reception team, the phone however should not have taken 10 minutes to answer.
The Hotel provides wireless internet and it is complimentary to guests who buy a drink in our Light bar or when you become a silver tier club Carlson member.
The construction company carrying out the work outside the Hotel are working closely with our General Manager to assure minimal disruption to our guests.
I cannot comment on the issues you raised about the standard of room as your review remain anonymous. If you wish to contact me regarding your stay I will be happy to discuss it further.