“Not as good as expected”

Park Plaza Nottingham
Ranked #21 of 41 Hotels in Nottingham
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed October 15, 2012

I had stayed in a Park Plaza in London and thought it was great, so based on that and the reviews here I was hoping it would be worth the price.It wasn't.
We paid £84 for an executive room to get the king size bed. My daughter was in a standard queen.
I'd asked for a high quiet room with my daughter near by - which they did.The welcome was friendly and efficient.
The standard room was not much smaller than the executive.
We would have been fine in that - in twin beds as it turned out.
Our air con was both noisy and completely ineffective. The room was so hot it was really uncomfortable. We had to leave a window open to try to get some air in, which meant we had noise all night from the bar underneath us at the back. 9th floor!! The bed was one of those awful things where if your partner moves so do you. Dreadful!
The location is good - handy for the Castle and the Market Square, but if we go again I'll be trying a different hotel!

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
RachelT T, Manager at Park Plaza Nottingham, responded to this reviewResponded October 23, 2012

Thank you for your review.
I am sorry to hear that Park Plaza Nottingham did not meet your expectations.
At this time of year it is difficult to please all our guests with the temperature of the room, purely based on the fact of the fluctuating temperatures outside. As you can appreciate for October we have had some warm nights.
As explained in the previous review our Air-conditioning system works more efficiently by adjusting the temperature gradually, for example if upon entry your room is too warm/cold we would advise adjusting the temperature in stages of 2° to achieve the desired temperature.
In terms of the beds, I am sorry that you did not find them comfortable; most of our guests are pleased with the comfort of the bed. If you wish to let me know which room you stayed in I can look into this further.
I hope that your comments do not deter you from staying with us again and that we can welcome you back soon.

Reviewed October 14, 2012

Good
- I was accommodated on ninth floor road facing but had noise issues from downstairs clubs only on wednesday/thursday nights. There is hardly any noise from the roadside vehicles.
- staff is warm and friendly that eases other pains.
- hotel is better than outside building look, so don't go by the look of building.
- i had some urgency to do some stationary tasks that were sorted out by staff immediately.

Bad
- worst one i encountered was room size vs AC capacity, it doesnt go beyond 17c but it still felt so warm inside. It was alright after midnight when room cools down properly.
- lot of noise (double glazed windows though) at ninth floor on wednesday/thursday nights due to parties downstairs.there are couple of clubs around. YOU CAN'T ESCAPE THIS! so major issue despite all comforts inside.
- no bed side lamps/over head lights for studying.
- funny that bed side switches turned off/on ceiling light on the opposite side.
- small coffee table was tucked under the tv-dressing shelf. When i took out to have meal there were small bits of left over food already.
- after an hour or so i felt there's not much of luxury you feel as its in 4 star hotels.

Honestly, it's small things that matter most!

Room Tip: I had read here only that ninth floor or upper floors are good, but noise was major issue due to par...

Thank you for your review.
I am sorry you had to experience the noise from the clubs nearby to the Hotel. The Students are back in town and it’s a difficult being a city centre hotel. I am also sorry that the room attendant missed the coffee table tucked away.
In terms of the heating in the Hotel our system works more efficiently by adjusting the temperature gradually, for example if upon entry your room is too warm/cold we would advise adjusting the temperature in stages of 2° until the desired temperature is achieved.
Let me explain why we do not have bedside lamps, our bedside lighting system is designed for reading, and switching the nearest switch to you will turn on the light above the other side of the bed. This is to minimise the potential glare from the overhead light and is designed like this in all Park Plaza Hotels.
I understand that small things are sometimes big things, I hope that the service delivery of the staff will bring you back to the Hotel in the future.

Reviewed October 13, 2012

Stayed here a couple of times, staff are always very courteous and helpful.

Rooms are spotless, spacious and comfortable. I've not dined but I've had room service of delicious soup and salad.

It's a very central location and just a short walk to the castle, market square and Ye Olde Trip To Jerusalem which is supposedly the oldest pub in the country.

Breakfast is very good but pricey, £15 per head regardless of what you have. I really enjoyed the little local diner on St James Street called Brown Betty's, huge cooked breakfast for a third of the price.

Will stay there again.

Thank you for your review.
I am pleased to hear that you stay with us every time you come to Nottingham. I trust you are receiving the benefits of our club Carlson program.
I am glad that you enjoyed the food served to you in Room service and that you are happy with the cleanliness of the room. In terms of Breakfast you can upgrade to our Park Plaza plus package which includes Breakfast, wine and Chocolates in the room for just £25 which means it is cheaper than taking breakfast for two in the room.
If you are a fan of the location and love to visit the trip to Jerusalem, I look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Reviewed October 12, 2012

Excellent service, from the first telephone booking contact. I found the reception staff extremely helpful. The House-keeping staff, conference staff and dining room service were all excellent. This is the second time I have stayed there and have been most impressed with the service, cleanliness and location of the hotel.

On this occasion I had a group stay with me for part of the time for conference purposes. Their experiences appeared to be as outstanding as mine.

I asked for a room on the back of the hotel to avoid traffic noise. It was acceptably quiet. Others in the group who had a front room did not find noise an issue. We will definitely use this hotel again. Excellent value for money: Good rooms and service, quick internet and very helpful staff. In addition, it is central to the City attractions, has a couple of good pubs close by, and a Tescos across the road - a couple of good restaurants too if you don't want to eat at the hotel.

Thank you for your review.
I am pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us and the staff looked after you and the rest of your colleagues. Thank you for mentioning those departments that stood out to you they are all delighted that you mentioned them.
I look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Reviewed October 7, 2012

Don't be put off by the outside which looks like an old office block. The hotel, itself is very pleasant and clean. Although on a main road, there was no noise in my bedroom- admittedly I was on the 10th floor.

As other people have said, this hotel is very well positioned for the town.

I only had breakfast in the restaurant but the staff were extremely helpful and the food was good.

The bedroom and bathroom were clean and all the bed very comfortable. I did have the executive double room so other rooms might be smaller but mine was a very good size.

It doesn't really matter but the reception I found to be a bit stark. The reception staff were very helpful. No downsides to the hotel.

Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business

Thank you for your review.
Before we become a hotel we used to be a BT building hence why it is not the most attractive building from outside. I am pleased that our team looked after you and that you enjoyed your stay with us.
I hope we can welcome you back soon

Reviewed October 6, 2012

if you do stay at this good hotel, avoid room 123, i had the misfortune to be put in this room for a 2 night stay, its next to a generator that switches on every 15 mins, so you get no sleep, night porter wasnt any use, told me to come back down in the morning to request a room change, this was at 3am, reception did agree to move me, and would arrange for my bag etc to be moved when i get back from a days work. again the service here was poor, my bag wasnt moved, i hadnt been allocated another room, but was then provided with a room on the 10th floor, only to find the rooms aircon wasnt working, i couldnt be bothered requesting a further room.
Nice of reception to ask, did i have a nice stay when i checked out, so what do i get offered , a room upgrade on my next stay, wow, thanks Park Plaza, £100 per night, cheers

1  Thank John4042
RachelT T, Manager at Park Plaza Nottingham, responded to this reviewResponded October 16, 2012

Thank you for taking the time to post a review on trip advisor.

I am sorry that the hotel did not deliver its normal standards to customer service and that you were unhappy with the offer of an upgrade on your next visit. If you wish to contact me directly at the hoteI am sure we can agree a more suitable conclusion to suit you.

Once again thank you for your review and I hope we have the opportunity to welcome you back to show our true colors.

Kind Regards

Reviewed October 3, 2012

Great location for shops and bars. Lovely hotel - clean and stylish. Great service, very professional and extremely helpful. Great bar and breakfast.

Stayed for a hen weekend with a group of friends. Great service from start to finish. We arrived early and we could store our bags early until our rooms were ready, check in was fast, efficient, friendly and professional. They also have smoking rooms for any other smokers out there! They're on the 1st floor only. Drinks in the bar are great, reception staff very helpful with great local knowledge and breakfast was really good with the best selection I've seen this side of the Atlantic. Definitely recommended.

• Stayed: September 2012

Thank you for taking the time to post a review on trip advisor.

It was really pleasing to read that you enjoyed your stay and you received great service from the team. It really is motivating for the team to hear such great comments.

Once again thank you for your review and I hope we have the opportunity to welcome you back soon.

Kind Regards