“Food ok, appalling service”
Review of The Wheelhouse

The Wheelhouse
Ranked #1,084 of 1,423 Restaurants in Nottingham
Cuisines: British
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Nottingham, United Kingdom
“Food ok, appalling service”
Reviewed March 11, 2014

I've been a few times with my friend and its been ok for what it is, nothing fancy. The lady at the bar (Cathy) had got my drink order wrong and when I went back to her and told her what I ordered, she was uncaring, unapologetic and had a discussion about the order instead of saying "sorry, I will get you a new one"
When the food arrived, my friend's plate was missing the coleslaw. I waved to the nearest waitress (Amanda) who was leaning at the bar and she said across the room "Are you waving at me?" When she came to the table all she said was "Yeah?" She was also unapologetic and not at all bothered. Has been a very bad experience to sum it up.

• Visited March 2014
2 Thank potash1984

“Today”
Reviewed February 26, 2014

Hubby and I went for a mixed grill each. Firstly, the regular very helpful waitress Pauline explained there weren't any eggs so would we like extra sausage, to which we agreed. Secondly, we didn't have enough mayo so Hubby went to help himself because he could see any staff. The ASSISTANT Manager appeared and asked what the problem was, hubby explained and the response was "I'll have to top up this bucket (condiments/cutlery) again", we didn't get any more mayo. Thirdly, hubby's portion of liver was incredibly small, particularly when compared to my portion. I asked the ASSISTANT Manager to come over and we were amazed at his response. He stated that the liver was in a sealed pack and if the liver was small then the steak would compensate (unfortunately, steak isn't on this choice, only lamb and pork chops, sausage and eggs {which were off the menu}. The chops were more or less equal size to those on my plate). His attitude was more or less what do you want - hubby said a larger piece of liver, off went ASSISTANT to ask the chef. On reappearing seconds late he confirmed that the chef wouldn't open another pack just for the liver. At this point, experienced waitress PAULINE came over and offered a free pudding or something else - amazed that the dilatory ASSISTANT manager couldn't accept "the customer was right" and not wanting a full blown argument, we accepted nice Pauline's offer. When we had finished our main course Pauline offered a pudding but we told her we really didn't want anymore to eat, her reply was to see her next time we visited and she would make sure we were offered something to compensate.
Pauline loves her job, obviously ASSISTANT MANAGER needs training.
This Pub/restaurant is in a very nice residential area, children friendly and not far from Wollaton Hall which is a favourite place for families. We like to use this establishment as a local when our families visit - we need to see big improvements. It is a Hungry Horse pub and needs inspecting before it falls any further.

1 Thank Thoresby7
Nottingham
“Poor food slow service”
Reviewed February 22, 2014

Visited for a pub lunch with friends and children and was very disapointed with the standard of service and quality of the food.

The food took an hour to arrive and had to ask where it was after 45 minutes. The food is typical pub chain food but its of quite a poor standard. We did complain and got one meal that was not as described our money back on and they did offer to give us a voucher for next time but unfortunatly we will not be returning so seemed very little point.

1 Thank Helen G
“dirty and burnt food”
Reviewed February 9, 2014

Most of the tables were reserved, the one we got was sticky and the menus were dirty (should of left then) ordered the big sharer for two, most of which was burnt(was hungry so got on with it) for main meal I had new yorker hotdog and hubby had gammon, the gammon was over cooked the chips were burnt and the pineapple had been covered by the egg (mine was what I expected not great but edible) hubby complained and was asked if he wanted a replacement which he declined as he would be eating it alone so was given a refund. The staff just didnt seem to know what they were doing

2 Thank amanda h
Strasbourg, France
“A reasonable place for a British pub meal”
Reviewed February 7, 2014 via mobile

Ate here with family and was very happy with the friendliness of the staff. Food was standard UK pub grub, solid and filling.