“Where's the servers?”

The Wheelhouse
Ranked #922 of 1,275 Restaurants in Nottingham
Cuisines: British
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Description: Built in the 1960's The Wheelhouse is situated opposite Wollaton Hall. This is a major tourist attraction with a Deer Park set in 2000 acres of land. Branded a Hungry Horse venue we have great features such as TVs in the booth seating and larger family booths. You will find something for everyone from sociable dining with TV's in booth seating, an over 18's area, a restaurant and separate family dining area. Look out for our retro arcade machine. We serve food from the extensive Hungry Horse menu and children's menu. The pub has a traditional friendly atmosphere attracting locals and regulars from the surrounding affluent areas, as well as visitors to the Hall who call in to enjoy a meal or a drink as part of their day out. At the bar you will find a number of favorite pints including the best of Greene King real ales. If you prefer something non alcoholic we have an excellent range of specialty coffees along with tea and soft drinks.
Reviewed February 5, 2013

The staff are very hard working , at the busiest times of the day theirs one or maybe two people at the bar , even when theirs an avent at the park so you can be waiting to be served for ages.
I understand trying to keep costs down but it seriously needs more staff.
The landlords hardly ever around to help.
It's gone down hill since hungry house took over.

1  Thank Lilla123

Reviewed November 5, 2012

I been going to the wheelhouse for a number of year's just for a drink as I have had to many bad experiences with the food. Since the refurb it as gone down hill again looking shabby same old thing people smoking at the carpark entrance which you have to walk through when there is designated smoking area. Tables with reserved signs on for 2hrs ? .My wife and myself went for a drink on sat we sat on the table near the cake cabinet and on the pillar next to the table we counted 10 flyes that is not a good sign at the end of October and they also seem to let anybody in the kitchen and "chefs" look positively scruffy I will end on a positive the beer is 40p cheaper than the wollaton down the road.

2  Thank BH7MH22
Reviewed September 30, 2012

we popped in for a drink yesterday afternoon having heard that there would be some childrens entertainment happening between 4pm-6pm, so as we had our 4 yeaar old grandaughter staying with us we decided to pass through.
It is certainly a family orientated pub/restaurant, busy but warm inside- the temperature was rather cool outside yesterday, so i t was quite a welcoming feel. The age group varied from veery young children with parents through to teens with boyfriends/girlfriends.
We found a table and i went over to the bar to order our drinks.
The barman came to me quite quickly, however he hadnt noticed that there was a customer already waiting- i pointed him to the young lady who orederd food. I then asked for our drinks. My husband was having a brandy- i asked how much for a double measure, it was £1.50 extra so i orderd. I had to ask what brandy it was- i wasnt offered a choice here. Anyhow it was Martell- so that was fine. Arrived in a tumbler glass- i asked for a brandy glass, but told there werent any but shown a wine glass!!! Ha Ha. What a great barman. ..I kept the drink in the tumber. I then asked for a small coke for my g.daughter, and was told they only sell large. Ridiculous- what 5 year old wants a pint of coke. Ordered in any case, no alternative.
I ordered a mocha coffee and was told it would be brought to the table.It was- mug, no saucer- spoon and 2 sugars put straight onto the table. How unhygenic. It was hot and i enjoyed it, but the service and the way the drinks were served was not good in my book.
Entertainment for the little ones was nice and it gave us adults chance for a chat whilst they were more or less looked after and fed loads of sweets!!.
By the time we left at 6.50pm the place was chock a block.
Apparently this ebtertainment happens once a month every Saturday, so we will probobly go again with our g.daughter. No shorts or coffee or coca coola though. Have to think of some other beverage that will be served in appropriate drinking vessels. !

1  Thank lillypink
Reviewed August 29, 2012 via mobile

Will keep this short and sweet. We went to the wheel house about 2 years ago so maybe its changed hands by now. . . And sorted this problem out.
Place was full of drunk youths shouting and acting mad leary. . . Toilets were a complete dive, posters up about drug use not being tolerated in the pub. Food was bland and staff were too.

Wasn't impressed at all.

Reviewed August 21, 2012

Visited on the 19th August. Many tables hadn't been cleared, sat at a table outside with dirty glasses on which were not cleared until our food arrived. Drinks were served in dirty glasses. There are no table numbers on the tables outside which causes a lot of confusion between the staff. The waitress passed our table with a plate of food not looking like she knew where she was going and that same plate of food arrived at our table five minutes later no longer hot. The only positive I can think of is I left feeling full up. I love eating out at pubs, however, I will not be returning to this one.

1  Thank Mark092