“Let down - again!”

Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
“Let down - again!”
Reviewed December 29, 2013

We went to the pub having been informed by the management beforehand that the slow-cooked lamb shanks shown on the website menu were available only to be told when we arrived that in fact they were not available, with faggots (!) being offered instead. This is the second time this year that this has happened, the previous time the slow-cooked beef being unavailable despite what the menu claimed.The food we eventually had was OK, nothing exceptional, but acceptable. The room in which we had the meal was quite cool and stark and distinctly unfestive given it was just after Christmas. The service was fine. A case of an establishment getting reasonable reviews and hubris setting in, perhaps. Twice let-down so no further visits from us, I'm afraid.

• Visited December 2013
1 Thank Nuncar

Nottingham, United Kingdom
“Bah humbug.....Festive & Bar menu only”
Reviewed December 28, 2013

We live local and have heard good reviews for the WL so I booked a table for two (daughter on sleepover). Having reviewed the Menus on their website before booking we opted for the WL over a good choice of eateries in this area. I won't bore you with meal details but basically it is the Festive & Bar Menu only at the moment. Save your money and wait till the full menu is back on! This was echoed by a table of 10 who may have been regulars in there who also felt mislead and to make a point had bar meals only, Chip cobs etc. I have checked the website and nowhere does it give specific dates when it's the 'Festive' menu only. The service was ok, the gents toilet was dirty with pee all over the floor which overall gave me the impression we 'Can't be bothered Xmas is nearly done'. The food was nice but felt we had to pick the more expensive to avoid the Festive drivel!

• Visited December 2013
2 Thank Andy H
Ilkeston, United Kingdom
“Good little surprise”
Reviewed November 2, 2013 via mobile

We had been driving around hoping to stumble upon a pub for a good Sunday lunch- glad we found this one! The decor was clean and obviously very new. The Sunday meal was a set menu at an excellent price and was pleasantly surprised by their slight twists to the bog standard Sunday dinner ingredients. Service was average - did their job but nothing really to shout about. All in all, good pub food and a pleasant surprise :)

• Visited September 2013
Nottingham, United Kingdom
“Excellent food, some of the best in Nottinghamshire”
Reviewed September 15, 2013

I visit The White Lion quite often with my partner and family and have always had a good meal.

I like good quality, fresh produce and this is what you always get at the lion, even when you have a takeaway pizza!

The staff are also very friendly and helpful along with the feel of the pub and restaurant.

I highly recommend the scallops with belly pork and black pudding (if it reappears on the menu) and on the current menu the deep fried blue cheese with pear salad is delicious, very good balance of flavours and textures!

I have eaten in many places in Nottingham but I will always place the lion at the front of my favourites!

Also for what you pay you get ridiculously good portions and ofc good quality food, annoys me when you go to chain restaurants that charge twice as much for microwave food.

• Visited September 2013
York, United Kingdom
“Just popped in by chance and what a treat”
Reviewed August 26, 2013

We just called in on spec after seeing the sign on the road and headed up to the pub. Lots of parking and it was obvious on entering that the pub had been recently renovated and I liked the style it had been done. We ordered drinks and sat in the eating area and the service from this point was excellent, attentive and yet not intrusive. We shared a risotto starter which was wonderfully creamy, and for main course I had swordfish and my girlfriend had a rump steak, cooked medium.
I tend to go for steak and when hers was brought to the table I wished I had, don't get me wrong the swordfish was delicious, but her steak was perfect. Cooked perfectly and the knife slid through the meat. The cut of meat was excellent quality with no big chunks of fat.
Definitely recommend going to this place

• Visited August 2013