“WHAT A FIND!”

Cuisines: Indian
Dining options: Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
Reviewed April 26, 2013

This must surely be one of the most surprising indian restaurants. Situated in an unlikely position in the heart of a residential area you could be forgiven for thinking that the address could be wrong and like we did, drive straight past. But once found, this is one place you will never forget and will most certainly go back to time and time again.

From the moment the door is opened for you, it is apparent that this is going to be a special experience. Staff are dressed authentically from head to toe and have impeccable manners. The menu is not extensive and a little on the pricey side for regular visits for us, but we will revist as the quality of service, food and its presentation is beyond any other we have been to (and we have visited some lovely restaurants and this report is no criticism of them). Haveli is just so different. Drinks are a bit pricey and parking is limited to no more than eight cars at the most (or thereabouts depending on whether you have a mini or one of those vehicles that take up nearly the whole car park by itself). We parked nearby but watch out for yellow lines.

Inside is spacious, decorated in a contemporary but traditional way and is well organised. Do try this eaterie and soon. You won't be disappointed

1  Thank Linda S

Reviewed April 23, 2013

I visited the restaurant website before booking and I must say I was a bit put off by an over eager approach to presentation which often masks inadequacy elsewhere. So I came here only to enjoy 'Indian Fine dining', not to be schmoozed by waiters in costume. To be fair the service was pretty good and the staff extremely friendly and well trained and, having been shown to our table only 12 minutes late, my wife and I were treated with individual care and attention, despite the full house. In order to make valid standards of comparison with other Indian restaurants I generally order the same favourite dishes. As a starter we decided to share a prawn puri, a wise decision as it was certainly big enough for two people. It was over fussily presented and lacked anything else which could be described as any better than we've eaten elsewhere - and let's face it starters always go down well when you're hungry, however mediocre they are. For main my wife chose king prawn kahari. The sauce was very good but lacked any distinctive quality, but the prawns were clearly previously deep frozen and not 'fresh' as described in the menu. I went 'off menu', (not hard given a very short published list, but 'no problem' according to the waiter), and chose chicken tikka biryani which for some reason was served garnished with a huge number of slices of orange. Whilst the accompanying sauce was just about okay the biryani itself was probably the worst I've ever tasted, extremely heavy and greasy rice, infused and overwhelmed by the effect of so much orange surrounding it. I can honestly say that my own efforts at this same dish are significantly better than this and that I managed to eat almost half was largely down to my curiosity and disbelief that it could be so bad. Whilst chef's have their own recipes and approach to preparation, this dish for me has always been characterised by evidence of fresh herbs and vegetables, or slivered almonds, or dry fruit, or sometimes an egg, or all or a combination of them. None of these were present here, just a heavily congealed, orange flavoured, greasy plate of rice. The charming waiter conducted himself in exemplary fashion when he cleared the table and sensed from my plate that something had not gone well. As they are no doubt instructed to do he gently remonstrated with me about my failure to draw his attention to my disappointment sooner. The fact is that any restaurant, especially one making the claims that Haveli does, should not make mistakes like this in the first place and, whilst I have no problem complaining in general, I will not do so in restaurants as the timing of each course with one's dining partner/s then becomes yet another issue. The outcome of this very disappointing event was dealt with when the bill arrived and the charge for the biryani was waived. We were given a meal of our choice to take out as compensation. In summary then I'm certain that the reputation that this restaurant enjoys must be based on legions of satisfied customers and I'm really sorry not to be included in their number. Whilst 'a bad choice' should not be possible, I obviously made one here - and perhaps chef had a bad day, but I remain unconvinced that, despite this, there is anything particularly special about this place and certainly nothing to justify the prices it charges for mediocrity. There is much to admire about Haveli and much to recommend it as a fine dining experience; sadly, that doesn't apply to the food.

Reviewed April 17, 2013

We started going to Haveli last year after a recommendation from a work colleague. We've never looked back. We had always been a fan of the better city centre places (Cumin, MemSaab, etc.) - which are still great - but this place is something else. The staff always treat you as friends, very welcoming and smart. The food is exceptional and you're usually given complementary snacks (poppadoms or small starters). The prices are high, but if you are there early they do two main courses for the price of one which makes it a great deal. We've celebrated two birthdays here now for which the staff go the extra mile (without being told in advance), putting on a show and bringing cake. Well worth going out of your way for if you are in the Nottingham area.

1  Thank HawkerFamily
Reviewed April 14, 2013

Thought this was a lovely restaurant, with a nice atmosphere. Food was excellent and service was attentive and polite. Would definitely visit again

1  Thank CaroDawnBlue
Reviewed March 30, 2013

This is a litle gem hidden away in suburban Nottinghamshire. All the staff wear uniform and we were met outside and welcomed as we approached the door. Inside the decor is clean and bright with plenty of space. The waiters were friendly and the food and service excellent. The presentation is well above the standard of many restaurants of this type but the prices are reasonable. This restaurant filled up to about 80% during the evening which is good for a suburban outlet on a freezing cold night. Car parking on site is limited but there is adequate street parking. Overall a good and pleasing experience. We'll be going again.

1  Thank Aitch1950