“Whats happened?”

Ranked #631 of 1,268 Restaurants in Nottingham
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed March 23, 2013 via mobile

Been to the broad oak a few times, also been nice. However food seems to be a bit bland now.

Price wise ok

Shame as it used to be a brilliant little place

1  Thank ms_pirate

Reviewed January 5, 2013

lovely country pub, nice atmosphere, had house sharing platter, was gr8 to have some home made garlic bread not the standard supermarket slices, potato wedges were homemade too and the tortilla chips were covered with plenty of cheese, salsa and sour cream. It was all red hot. Then had hunters chicken and a mixed grill, everything was cooked spot on. Only comment I made was to make their own coleslaw as the cheap nasty shop version they offer lets them down. I would definitely go back there again.

Reviewed December 22, 2012

We go out on Fridays with friends for something and ended up here. We have been before and it is handy for us all.
The menu is the same as every other pub in the country that is created by the bods at head office. You don’t really need to look at them any more, sharing platters for a starter, maybe garlic mushrooms. A steak, ribs, BBQ chicken or pub favourites such as curry. For dessert you can always find something chocolatey with brownie in it. Come on everyone why are you standardising our dining experience...lets have some thing truly Bristish and local.
I count my self as being lucky to have cooked in some of the finest hotels and restaurants in the world, and always struggle in these places to find something that the “chef” can’t mess up....So I went with a burger. When it came the sad dried up looking thing had no taste, as did the chilli topping...it looks like it had been sat on the hotplate for a while...quite a long while. My partners chicken fajitas again hadn’t been cooked to order, and some how they managed to make out friends lamb shanks cooked in gravy, flavoured with mint sauce dry and stringy. I have stopped calling myself a chef, as I am embarrassed that these guys who unpack and reheat the food in these places call themselves chefs. The food is devoid of any passion and love.
For drinks, we started off on the mulled cider, which came out of a foil bag and went straight into a soup kettle, it was ok, but again, where is the passion in that....on another note it lasted seconds as it was 1/3 of a pint, my partner asked if I wanted a pint of it, sounded good till until we worked out that this would cost nearly £9.00.
For some reason this country pub is doing cocktails and shooters, maybe a desperate attempt to get some customers in? (Cocktails only work if the staff can confidently make these up. It’s not the same when the bar staff have to follow a recipe.) So we gave them a try, half the shots were not available, and 10 minutes after we ordered our cocktail, the server came up to tell us that the cocktail we wanted was unavailable, as were several others. When our 4th choice cocktail turned up the pitcher was 2/3rds full, and we managed to get 3 glasses out of it.
Ok, then, so we saw a new rum (Kraken) that I hadn’t tried before, so we tried ordering this. Again, this confused the server, who messed up inputting the drink on the till, and had to get the managers help, he wasn’t feeling well so the server told she would have to charge us for 2 singles and a double, we said that no...we would pay for what we asked for...a double with a mixer
There appeared to be a handful of regulars in taking part in a horseracing night....they did get preferential service though.
The food service was minimal, no body cleared our glasses all night and we cleared our own plates after they had been sat there for a while...oh and no “check back”

The last nail in the coffin was the amount we had spent...the week previous we went to a restaurant and the 4 of us had 3 courses each, wine, beer vodka and literally rolled out after having a cooked to order meal with fab service and freely flowing alcohol...for less than the broadoak

4  Thank commervanfan
Reviewed September 10, 2012

Went here for lunch at 2pm on Sat 8th September. They we not particularly busy but we didn't get the meal until 3pm when it was getting a bit late as we had an appointment at 3.30pm. My husband had sausage and mash in a large yorkshire pudding but left half of it because it was not that nice. I had chicken in bbq sauce which was ok but not much of it. With a few chips and lettuce leaves. That afternoon my hubby felt quite ill and was subsequently up all night with terrible indigestion and stomach pains.
We have been here in the past but not for a long time and i think the management must have changed because we will not be going again.

4  Thank MarionNottingham
Reviewed July 15, 2012 via mobile

Went for a Sunday roast but unfortunately wasn't up to standard. Chicken was huge but no meat on it, one teaspoon of smash potatoe, Yorkshire pudding was hard and rubbery and had to ask for an additional 3 cups of gravy as I think they just shown the dinner to the gravy when the prepared it. Pleasant staff tho, lovely surroundings, nice park for kids. Such a shame that the food was below par. Pudding were beautiful tho.