“Awful pizza”
Review of The Canalhouse Bar

The Canalhouse Bar
Ranked #142 of 1,412 Restaurants in Nottingham
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Description: Opened in 2000 on the lower floors of the former Canal Museum, the Canalhouse must be unique amongst public houses in that the adjacent canal extends INSIDE the building, complete with resident narrow boats.In addition to the spacious bar areas, there is a covered and heated outdoor drinking terrace, plus comprehensive conference and function facilities for up to 200 people on the first floor.
Cumbria
“Awful pizza”
Reviewed March 4, 2013

This place would get 5 stars for the drink selection. The food could be better though. In particular the pizza we had was without doubt the worst I have tasted...ever. The bought in base being the problem, it was so stale, like a slab of compressed sawdust.
There were plenty of staff on but you have to collect your own food, with a paging system in place to summon you to the bar. I would return for drinks on our next visit to Nottingham but sadly we would eat elsewhere.

Visited March 2013

• Greek first
“A little gem, a must see in nottingham.”
Reviewed February 27, 2013 via mobile

I was recommended the canal house by a friend who used to go to university at Nottingham. I was not disappointed! I have never been anywhere quite so unique. The bar staff were friendly and helpful, and with such a good selection of real ales and continental beers I was very happy. I would recommend it to anyone. There where students there but I didn't feel out of place at all and the food is brilliant, especially the burgers!

East Yorkshire
“Funky and friendly”
Reviewed January 28, 2013

The Canal House is quite unlike anywhere I have ever been - rare to find two entire barges in a pub! Great ambience and a mixed clientelle meant that although there were quite a few students in the place, we (at 40+) didn't feel out of place. Friendly, helpful staff and a really tempting and extensive menu.
My husband and I went for tea and drinks to the Canal House following a recommendation from my cousin whose main hobby is brewing beer. We were not at all surprised! Several local guest beers were on offer with a loyalty card system to encourage extensive sampling - well it would have been rude not to...

• Visited January 2013
Bromley, United Kingdom
“Away match”
Reviewed January 16, 2013

My son and I were on our way to see Crystal Palace play at Nottingham Forest and decided to have lunch at the Canal House having been recommended to go there by my daughter who used to be at Nottingham University.

The first thing that struck me was the very friendly ambience. It is sometimes difficult in a strange town on the way to a football match to find somewhere where the locals don't mind you being.

This restaurant gives a warm welcome to all visitors.

We both had the fish and chips which was very good indeed. The service was quick and efficient and the price was very reasonable.

The best thing about this place, however, was the extensive range of locally brewed real ales. They were mostly from the Castle Rock Brewery in Nottingham but they also had an incredibly enormous range of world beers. It made me wish I lived nearer.

The most unusual item of decor I have ever seen in a pub was the 2 narrow boats moored inside the pub in their own spur off the local canal. You've got to see it to believe it.

All in all, a very pleasant place to have a lunch or, I suspect, an evening out. We will be back next season.

• Visited December 2012
Nottinghamshire, United Kingdom
“great beers”
Reviewed September 28, 2012

Lots of pubs toger here by the canel,decided here because they had Octoberfest beers and food on We was not dissapointed lovely setting ideal for couples doing adult dining and drinking.
Fantastic range of german and belgium beers here,unbelievable!!.and geman sasauge and chips,I would live here if I could.

• Visited September 2012