“Good quality buffet”

Cuisines: Chinese
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Description: post code NG1 6LF tele 0115 912 2000 ‎
Reviewed December 20, 2012

Visited with family on evening of Sunday 16th December 2012.

It was very busy for a Sunday night but being so close to Christmas it looked like party season had begun. We had made a reservation but I'm not convinced they had it as I was shouting down the phone when I made it, due to staff answering the phone in the middle of a very noisy restaurant. Still we managed to get a seat near the buffet as one of our party was disabled.

We have been before but not for a year or so. The seats were not the cleanest but with so many diners I guess some spillage is inevitable.

Our drinks order was taken promptly and we set about the all you can eat buffet. It was hot and of good quality with fresh food being bought out all the time. There was also plenty of choice. I have been to other buffets before and this is right up there with the best for variety of dishes. One of our party was a vegetarian and she managed to eat plenty.

Between courses plates were promptly taken from the table. They were run off their feet but waiters coped well and remained friendly. Slight delay with the second round but they were very busy.

The restaurant boasts a Tapanyaki counter but the queues were starting to build up there so we gave it a miss.

By the end of the evening there were 4 very full bellies with 2 drinks each at little over £60. I would definately go back, though it would be nice to give the seat cushions a good clean. Also when taking a reservation please go somewhere quiet.

Reviewed December 16, 2012

May Sumis a very convienient palce to go for lucnh, there is a wide variety of food,drinks all at a great price. Staff are always freindly,helpful & professional in a job that most certainly isn't easy. I would highly recommend this gem of a Chinese Restaurant to anyone.

Reviewed December 14, 2012

I and my family have been here a few times. hot food and a choice for everyone well worth the price. although drinks are a bit expensive.

Reviewed December 9, 2012

We were there are part of a party of around 25 people. For groups, this type of eating experience is perfect, because everybody can find things that they like from the extensive choice.

And choice there is. I think I stayed on the starters, which were well-cooked and with a great range. Duck pancakes were a temptation too, and for those adventurous enough to eat through the main courses, the choice was very good indeed.

One niggle (seen elsewhere in these reviews) is around table cleaning. The staff seem to do their best, but the restaurant does look a little like "the morning after the party" occasionally, with plates and food left of tables for far too long.

That aside, though, and just for the food, I'm happy to recommend.

1  Thank petervenn
Reviewed December 2, 2012

I'm not a great fan of Chinese buffets as they are too often badly presented, low quality ingredients, cold food and gloopy. However thanks to the May Sum in Nottingham I might have to revisit that misconception, and most certainly revisit the restaurant.
Plenty of space and the buffet table is massive, extending to sushi and teppanyaki as well as a dessert spread and salad bar. The food was all well-heated and no shortage of any of the dishes.
Range of drinks was quite acceptable, but that isn't the main reason to visit a buffet.
Although bustling (I visited on a Wednesday night) there was no pressure to eat up and move on, and no embarrassment of visiting the buffet selection again (and yet again), although it is easy to overeat. The staff were brisk, but still friendly and never far away, but not intrusive.
When back in Nottingham, I'll make a point to eat here again.