“No comparison with the Tate or Baltic.”

Nottingham Contemporary Art Gallery
Ranked #21 of 129 things to do in Nottingham
Durham, United Kingdom
396 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 263 helpful votes
“No comparison with the Tate or Baltic.”
Reviewed April 21, 2014

I enjoy art, and although some of the exhibits were good far too many of them were simply mundane and of limited interest. I am actually appalled at how much some of these artists must have been paid for their mediocre exhibts that could have come out of a below average GCSE class. Was free, so at least I did not feel ripped off. However, I can think of better ways to spend the 30 or so mins I wasted here. Watching paint dry springs to mind.

Visited April 2014
2 Thank durham05

Mansfield, United Kingdom
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Open Zones review”
Reviewed April 1, 2014

some Disabled access , doors wide and lifts. The group who investigated the venue had mixed feelings about the Gallery, and to be fair, it depends what is being exhibited.

There are lots of events though , so the Nottingham Contemporary Art Gallery is worth more than one visit!

Visited March 2014
Rebecca F, Marketing Assistant at Nottingham Contemporary Art Gallery, responded to this review, May 19, 2014
Thank you for taking the time to write a review on disabled access to our Building (Nottingham Contemporary). If you would like any further information please see our web page on access and facilities: http://www.nottinghamcontemporary.org/access
Kind regards
The Team at Nottingham Contemporary
Nottingham, United Kingdom
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“Not for young children!”
Reviewed March 28, 2014

Our first visit during the school hols with my 5 and 3 year old children with mother in law and we were followed around constantly by the rather abrupt staff. I felt that I shouldn't be there! As an art lover, I have visited several galleries with my children and never had this kind of reception. Won't be going again until Chdn are much older!

Visited August 2013
3 Thank Skoobsta
Hello Trip Advisor Reviewer,

Thank you for taking the time to write your review, your comments are very much valued.
We work hard to connect with families and help them feel at home. We want them to enjoy exploring our changing exhibitions and participate in really stimulating activities together.
We provide free resources for families to use in the galleries to help children of all ages engage with the exhibitions. We also have free drop-in family creative activities every weekend and School holiday during our exhibitions.

Last year Nottingham Contemporary was nominated by our visitors and peers for top UK Family Friendly Museum & Gallery Award the Telegraph Kids in Museums award 2013, which we were delighted to be shortlisted for the along with 5 other national institutions.

We do hope you may consider another visit with your family.

Kind regards
The Team at Nottingham Contemporary
Nottingham, United Kingdom
49 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 85 helpful votes
“FREE! A real range of arts and activities for all ages”
Reviewed March 26, 2014

Contemporary has a rotating display in the galleries on the main level. Some of these seem to stay for a long time and some not so. I've usually found them interesting. Not all exhibitions are suitable for the whole family although usually there is something child friendly.

On Saturdays and during the school holidays they have excellent free children's activities which are designed to help the youngsters engage with art. My 6 year old daughter never fails to enjoy these activities.

I've also seen bands here - for free which is my favourite price - and also there are occasionally film screenings where these tie in with the theme of exhibits in the main gallery.

Sound quality, seating and beer are all of a good quality for a night out in town.

derbys
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 12 helpful votes
“Plastic Glasses!!”
Reviewed March 17, 2014

Went to see a band play in the cafe bar area one Saturday evening. After 9 pm they would only serve drinks inc beer and wine in plastic ,very weak wobbly cups. Being adults and out on a Saturday evening we were expecting a nice drink in a nice glass, how wrong were we, anyone would think we were at a festival full of drunken teenagers, but no the crowd was mixed but quite mature, I'm sure we were all old enough to cope with glasses. My other half did mention this to staff who said it was due to health and safety, although when he didn't except this answer due to many tables being left with many glasses uncollected all night the bar manager said it was actually due to lack of time and staff?! Then the bar manager walked off and laughed at him with the rest of the staff, very unprofessional, and guess what we will find a bar next Saturday that serves adults a drink in a glass.