“Incredible place to stay.”

Best Western Bestwood Lodge Hotel
Ranked #38 of 49 Hotels in Nottingham
TORQUAY
“Incredible place to stay.”
Reviewed November 13, 2009

I have just returned from a four day stay ih this hotel and I can only assume there are two Hotels with the same name judging by the reviews on this site. The room was lovely, light and warm, the bathroom was clean modern and fresh.The view from the window was stunning.The dining room was gorgeous with a beautiful panelled ceiling and huge chandelier. My partner had steak and I had the Salmon both were delicious and reasonably priced.Breakfast was Buffet style, hot English breakfast or Continental pastries and fruits, also juices, ceriels and toast. The 24 hour bar was welcoming with leather setees and chairs set round a huge stone fireplace .The decor throughout is oak panelled walls, chandeliers and very much how you would expect a royal hunting lodge to look. I found it hard to believe It was only a three star hotel, it was more like a four star.
I would definately stay here again.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (77)
Reading, UK
Reviewed October 30, 2009

I booked to stay for one midweek night with my wife and 2 and 4 yr old children. Access via a large 70s housing estate. We arrived at 8pm after 6 hr drive from Scotland to move into our spacious "Viscount" family room to find it was occupied by a single gent! Reception very apologetic and they were polite throughout. Shown three further rooms, like many, a very long way from reception up many windy stairs; one decent room too small, with the two remaining rooms spacious but 1980s horror style. By 9pm, we plumped for largest room for the kids. Old carpet, creaky floors, tiny double bed, old furniture and student accommodation bathroom - no toilet roll holder, not fully painted panels, very cheap shower without temp.regulator. Simply dreadful. I haven't seen similar since the Australian outback! Spacious breakfast room lacking modern decor and run by friendly but young and inexperienced staff. This is a lodge of great history, in bad need of room refurbishment, probably surviving on weddings and conferences. It has potential, but not that I would ever subject my family to again at present. It is a sad site. A compact modern Premier Inn beckons at Christmas.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled with family
1 Thank Mashy-niblick

Travelers are raving about these Nottingham hotels

London
Reviewed September 21, 2009

My husband booked this hotel as a surprise for our wedding anniversary and to co-incide with the cricket. Check in was exellent and we phoned ahead to request an early checkin which was no probs.
We got a deal for £70.00 on the double room (listed at £109.00) and were given the 4 poster (listed at £165.00 per night) when we got there which was lovely. However, the bed was very hard and we had to ask for another duvet to "pad" out the matress. The shower was very weak so much so I didn't even bother with it on the last day there when we checked out, but rather waited until we got home instead. Breakfast was adequate but ordinary, I would have expected more for the £165 price tag!
The staff were so friendly and helpful - in fact the staff are the best part about the hotel. The setting is lovely.
The hotel just lacks - for £100.00 per night plus, one would expect proper glasses in the room and not platic pint glasses and the whole hotel just lacks a smartness. It is lovely and grand but you feel like a "Faulty Towers" episode is about to happen. Luckily nothing did to us.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple
St John-in-Cornwall, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 4, 2009

Ample free parking on site.
Check-in was smooth and the receptionist friendly and helpful.
Our room was on the second floor and was small and was in need of an upgrade but was spotless nonetheless.
We ate in the restaurant and both had excellent meals at reasonable prices.
Staff were couteous and helpful.
A poor nights sleep was had due to a hard and lumpy bed.
The breakfast was disappointing. Croissants were stale and the cooked breakfast was cool and did not stand a chance of staying warm on a cold plate.

The hotel is extremely quiet even with windows open. The building is fantastic and this could be a really stunning hotel in a superb location with walks in the country park.

All in all, a mixture of good and bad.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled on business
Staffordshire, UK
Reviewed August 31, 2009

We stayed at this hotel overnight as we were attending a friend's wedding. First impressions were good - lovely location and stunning building. Then it all went wrong! Check-in was fine and the receptionist was lovely. We went upstairs to our room - (the bannister was sticky). We stayed in the Alexandra room - which we were paying £90 for.

The first thing to hit us was the overpowering musty smell - followed by the freezing cold. The room was incredibly basic and not comfortable at all. The wardrobe looked like a flat-pack reject and was falling apart. The window frames had black mould round them. The bathroom was a whole other story. Hideous grey suite, brown gunge under the taps and mould and badly applied sealant round the bath - it also smelt musty.

I got into the bath to warm up as the room was freezing and the central heating would not turn on. I didn't want to lie back as I could feel layers of grime on the plastic. The sink pedestal had quite a lot of dust, hairs and grime behind it, too.

The good thing about the room was the view actoss the park - but as it was raining we didn't actually get to go for any walks.

After attending the wedding reception we stayed in the main bar as long as we could to put off the inevitable horror of returning to the room. We eventually went up at around 1.30am and got into bed. The I heard it. I wasn't sure what it was at first but there was a loud persistent gurgling/droning noise which I assume was something to do with the plumbing. This stopped after about an hour - but was stop/start throughout the night. The pillows were hard - two was too many and one not enough! Needless to say we both awoke with neck-ache.

We headed to the restaurant for breakfast to find one table available as the rest hadn't been cleared. The food was of a greasy spoon standard and not very appetising. There was also a choice of cereal, fruit or toast available. We asked the waitress if we could have a pot of tea for two and it was done without a smile or a kind word.

We headed back to our room to get the hell out as soon as possible and met a cleaning lady on the stairs. We stayed at the bottom to allow her to pass as she had a small vacuum cleaner with her and she didn't even acknowledge us or say "thank you".

I am very glad to be home and you couldn't pay me to stay in that place ever again. The waiting and cleaning staff were miserable and the whole place needs a major overhaul, Best Western should change their name to Worst Western - at least people would know what to expect!

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Staffordshire_UKKaz
Oxford, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 5, 2009

This hotel is set in very impressive grounds and was both clean and comfortable. Didn't have the best facilities or food service as I've experienced but at £50pn there were no complaints. I would stay here again, that is an endorsement in itself.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled on business
1 Thank danielanthony
uk south west
Reviewed June 23, 2009

This was the first time in a Best Western and it will be the last!!!!
This hotel is run down and dated which is a shame as its a lovely building in a nice location.
I arrived late and when I got to the room it was like a sauna with the radiator stuck on and this on one of the hotest nights of the year.
So I told reception who seemed to be awre of this but obviously nithing had been done.
So I moved rooms this time to one above the boiler house and the smell of heating oil was overwhelming .
I finally got a room at 11 pm after checking in at 9 !! Staff although helpfull did not seemed bothered ,suprised or in any rush to sort the rooms just put some other sucker in them.
My advice DONT BOTHER!!!