Best Western Bestwood Lodge Hotel
Commodore Hotel(Nottingham)
Stage Hotel(Nottingham)
  • Breakfast included
  • Bar/Lounge
All reviewscountry parkhousing estatehunting lodgequeen victoria roomwedding receptionsteeped in historywedding venuefour poster bedwedding breakfastbar area isbar menuenjoyable staysat navstayed here for one nightbuffet styletea and coffeeradiator
FilterAll languages
Reviewed February 3, 2013

This is a lovely old hotel right on the edge of the forest so if you have a dog, which we did, it is ideal for walks. We had a large room on the first floor overlooking the gardens (King Richard)
Well behaved dogs are welcome in the bar area which is nice. We only had bar food but it was good and tasty. Have had food in restaurant on other visits and can vouch for the quality. Breakfast was buffet style but well cooked and plentiful. Would recommend to anyone.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank David L
Reviewed January 8, 2013

we arrived on the 24th December and were given the King Charles room which was very clean , large with plenty of room. it was warm with a lovely light duvet on the spacious four poster bed.
we had booked two other rooms which again were of a good standard, the staff were courteous, helpful, and on hand when needed ....breakfast was a full english buffet style which was hot and plentiful.....the only issue was a very slow stair-lift as this old building doesn't have a lift . it has lots of history and character, being an old building used by Henry the eighth when he went hunting .
beware of sat nav directions , it took us through the park itself which was hairy to say the least...try to come in from the village of bestwood itself (bestwood park road)...... it could do with some refurbishment and a shaver point in one of the rooms wasn't working.but overall good value for money and dogs were made welcome. for us wifi worked great.

Room Tip: four posters are great and comfy
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed December 28, 2012

We celebrated our daughters Wedding Reception at the hotel on Saturday 22nd December 2012, what a fantastic day we had! The staff were extremely courteous and efficient, the quality of the food was excellent, every part of the day ran very smoothly, we would like to thank all of the staff for making this a day to remember. Some members of the wedding party stayed over including ourselves, the room was comfortable and very clean.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed December 20, 2012

Very mixed .. difficult to some up as some things were excellent eg: quality of food whereas other things were not acceptable eg: water dripping in all night. Would have expected better for the price paid. Could'nt get wifi to work. Windows rattling all night. Private party didn't finish until midnight but sounded as if in our room. Welcome needs working on. We specifically rang ahead of time to ask about dining in the restaurant and were told we could but when we arrived at reception was told we would have to eat somewhere else!! Fortunately the chef agreed to accomodate our request and we were shoved into a different room away from party guests. Couldn't book over the internet had to ring hotel and were not informed about a private party booking at that time. Waiting staff were exceptionally nice. Building is impressive. Worth a visit to make your make your own mind up hence the 50/50

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed December 2, 2012

I stayed here because I was on a 4 day dog training course and this hotel, like many of the Great Western Chain, is pet friendly. In fact is is VERY pet friendly ie dogs are permitted in the bar, however the PRICE of taking pets is NOT friendly AT ALL. I was told that the true price should be £20 PER NIGHT but they would only charge me £10 PER NIGHT!

One of the reasons I stopped using the Travelodge several years ago was the exorbitant price they charged for pets (the same as here) and I shall certainly not be staying here again as this meant I would pay £80 for a 4 day stay with my dog, it is cheaper at a kennels where they even feed the dog!

When I queried the price they said it was for the EXTRA cleaning involved.

Hmm, as my bed was not MADE on any day but merely straightened, the room was not hoovered, the bin not emptied and the soap wrapper left on the bathroom shelf and even my teaspoon was not washed two days, ANY cleaning would have been welcomed!

The breakfast was not bad, and looked good bar one day when the buffet was deserted. No muesli, fruits of the forest or yoghurt though.

Dinner, well that was a bit like the curate's egg. I could get a bar meal on two evenings, on another apparently I could not get any snacks. I wonder why bar staff NEVER know what the soup of the day is?

The staff were all friendly and accommodating which went some way to ameliorate their lack of efficiency.

A great shame as the location of this hotel is superb, especially for dog walkers and the quirky parts eg my bathroom was in a turret, I was hoping to stay here for another 4 days next year for another dog course but I will be going elsewhere as I am not prepared to pay the prices demanded for the service offered, certainly not to have a dog in my room.

If I go to other hotels I pay between £5 - 10 per STAY which in these economically stretched times is far more acceptable, after all, they only have to clean the room (if at all) ONCE after departure, not every day (or at all) in my case.

This hotel could be great, but needs an injection of enthusiasm, efficiency and elan.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled solo