“Tiny single room for”

GreenLeadersSilver level
Gloucester, United Kingdom
“Tiny single room for”
Reviewed December 11, 2013

Stayed here for business one night earlier this year as my usual selection was unavailable (Crowne Plaza) and upon check-in I was informed that I had a single room - never again.

The room was tiny, the bathroom was nearly as big as the rest of the room and I found plenty of human hair in the in the bathroom and a few strays in my bedsheets too. I rang reception to see if I could be moved but they informed that there were no bigger rooms available. As I settled in for the night, I soon realised that the walls were as thin as cardboard and I could here drunken idiots run through the corridor (which surprised me as I was staying midweek) so didn't have the best nights sleep either.

On the plus side, check-in and general service was very good. Breakfast was also very good with plenty of choice and polite waitresses bringing round fresh juice/coffee etc. but unfortunately it just doesn't make up for the small, dated and dirty room that I had the displeasure of staying in.

Location is great for the centre of Nottingham but that doesn't make up for the fact that this hotel is in serious need of an update.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (379)
  • Finnish first
  • Polish first
Worcester, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 10, 2013

The Hilton Nottingham is a little like the city itself, nice in parts and rather dull and shabby in others. At least it's well signposted, Sat-Nav will get you so far, however it's not long before the local buses and exclusive bus routes take priority (In Nottingham it's not only the ladies that outnumber men 3-1 it seems that here the buses do too) Therefore the Hilton specific AA road-signs are a welcome aid to anyone unfamiliar with the latest version of the city's bus-centric inner spaghetti.
There is a meager car park on site should you dare not to take the city's absurdly over-preferred transport option, however if you've not booked in advance chances are it will be full. Happily there is an affiliate car park a mere U-turn and one-way system away that allows Hilton gusts to park for £13 for 24 hours. The Hotel facade lobby and staircase are large and grand, the building is deceptively vast and has the feeling of "old theater" rather than "city center" Hotel. Our room was on the third floor and as such we were directed to what I'm assuming must be one of the slowest lifts in operation in western Europe today. Departing at level 3, some time later, the theatre feel continued as we passed through six or seven sets of stage like swing doors, a nice touch and in keeping with the overall feel of the building. Whilst the room we had was small it was manageable and about what I had expected, clean but in need of updating. En suite was functional, However bed could only be described as a large single at best and the television screen resolution was so bad that pictures appeared to be beamed via an underwater feed. And of course no WIFI, that's chargeable and an extra.
Breakfast was oversubscribed and poorly managed, we arrived at about 10:20, and were met with a queue in the lobby. Having queued I gave my room number (which the attendant had trouble finding) I explained I required a table for 2 and was asked to wait and help myself to pies and things?!? The attendant some moments later asked if I still needed a table for 5? I explained again that it was still for 2 as per my booking and we were then led to a corner table furnished with 2 low slung armchairs, the attendant then asked whether we would prefer tea or coffee and promptly we requested coffee. I can only assume that the attendant was conducting a survey entitled "preferred breakfast drinks" as once had established our preferred option the attendant filed away never to be seen by us again, and no coffee was forthcoming. The breakfast was fine enough although having the table at neck height due to the rather low slung armchairs we were placed in made the act of eating it a little awkward, however rather amusing, not sure this was the intention though, imagine using cutlery at shoulder height and you get the idea. I finally obtained some grainy coffee from a passing waitress and we proceeded to eat up, pack and checkout (avoiding the lift back down as we had to be out of the hotel in reasonable time) check out was easy enough and we left just as an argument began to ensue between another resident claiming that they had been misinformed about parking charges.

Room Tip: If you want to park at the Hotel make a booking in advance
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Wolverhampton
Reviewed December 9, 2013

We stayed here for 2 nights recently and found that it was not up to the usual standard of a Hilton. The hotel was very dated in places, and the lift was not very clean. On the day of our arrival, the lift had finger marks on the walls and mirrored areas. It was in the same condition two days later. The room (361) was ok. It just needed a bit of a refurb. There was a separate hallway leading to the bathroom and bedroom which was quite roomy.The bathroom decor was a little dated though.

The breakfast buffet was very good, and the staff were generally friendly apart from one waitress who was a stickler for breakfast to be served bang on 07.00. We arrived in the restaurant for breakfast at 06.50 hours, as we had previously been told by reception that it would be ok to be slightly early for breakfast. The waitress in question was quite rude to us, however a second waitress recovered the situation and invited us to carry on, stating that there was no issue with us being slightly early, as the food was ready under the hot lamps. She was all too pleased to serve us and was very chirpy and polite.

The hotel is good as a base if you don't want to spend too much time in the room. I can't comment on the leisure facilites, as we didn't use them. I would imagine that there are better hotels in Nottingham for the same price.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Nottingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 9, 2013

I had the pleasure of staying at the Hilton Nottingham, therefore allowing me to complete the Christmas shopping and everything was fantastic from the Nicholsons bar to the Breakfast and service recieved, including the personal attention of the General Manager Paul. Nothing could have been better. What a special treat, well done Paul and well done Hilton

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts

Birmingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 7, 2013

The Hilton in Nottingham is very convenient for the shopping centre and not far form the market square, and we always take away the pain of our Christmas shopping, by staying at the Hilton for a bit of luxury. The rooms are really nice and the beds really comfortable. We also love the pool and the breakfast are amazing with lots of quality choice. But make sure you don't go down to the breakfast room at the end of service as it gets very full! Even in the evening it is a nice place for an evening meal as the bar is also a restaurant open to non residents too. Excellent service by all the staff and good offers if you book ahead.

Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed December 7, 2013 via mobile

I have stayed at this hotel in the past with no problems but this time was different. I had booked a double room for single occupancy but was given a single room instead; fortunately I had my confirmation to prove my booking. Somewhat reluctantly I was given a double but this was cramped and lacked much natural light. The breakfast was good as were the staff. On checking out I was asked if I had enjoyed my stay and commented on what had happened the previous day but nothing was offered by way of compensation. Ironically as I was leaving the person next to me was complaining about his room which was the one I was originally allotted. I don't think I will be staying here again.

• Stayed November 2013
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed December 4, 2013

Avoid room 164 there was No heating in the Bathroom very noisey. Had to open the bathroom window to cool the room down. But excellent location for shopping right next to the Victoria shopping Centre. Room was small but ok for what we wanted. Room had everything you needed

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple