“Needs a shake”

GreenLeadersSilver level
Lasswade, United Kingdom
“Needs a shake”
Reviewed April 12, 2013

I've been using this hotel for some 11 years, off and on, on business. While it's an old hotel it has had some money spent on it to keep standards up.

I have Diamond status with Hilton Honors and it gives me access to a number of privilages, like room upgrades, however, I have noticed lately here that there is a reluctance to give out the better rooms. On my most recent visit about 5 days ago I was told I was upgraded and promptly give a double room that you couldn't swing a cat in. There was only one glass for the bathroom and bedroom even though our booking was clearly for two persons and only other extras for one person.

The toilet bowel was also filthy under the rim.

I mentioned this to the receptionist and got a blank look. I was in a hurry and had to leave but on my return nothing had changed - typical laziness from some staff not local.

On my way out I passed the room service people delivering to the room next to me. When I got back later that evening the empty tray was on the floor outside the room. The following morning the tray was still there at 0930 when I went for breakfast. It was only picked up at 1100 when I was leaving. Again reflects a laziness that this hotel's management seem to tolerate.

Another issue was with the bar, which closed at 23.30 and no offering was made for residents to be looked after by night staff. In fact the young barman came over and asked us to leave the bar with our drinks and sit in the reception area. He was rather embarrassed I'd have to say and this was obviously him following the orders of management whose focus has gone from customer service to a policy of belligerance.

The staff here need a shake, they seem so de-motivated and this can only be due to poor management and they must accept their part in this poor offering.

as I said, I've been using this hotel for 11 years or so, however, this was my last visit as I will no longer tolerate such poor standards and I will instruct my people to avoid it at all costs; Diamond members or not, sometimes loyalty has to be shown as a two way process.

Room Tip: try another hotel but if you must then ask for a room on the 5th or 6th floors.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
HotelManager_10, General Manager at Hilton Nottingham, responded to this review, April 16, 2013
Dear Mike2576,

Thank you for your recent review about Hilton Nottingham.

I am very sorry to hear of your poor experience here at our hotel and would like to apologise for any inconvenience you may have experienced.

I will be sure to speak with both the Front Office team and housekeeping team to ensure that the issues you experienced at our hotel do not happen again by making certain that there are enough amenities within the room for the stated amount of occupants.

Should we have availability we ofcourse are more than happy to allocate our loyal Hilton Honours guests a room inclusive of a complimentary upgrade where you can relax and enjoy your stay, I am very sorry that you were not fully satisfied with the upgrade you were provided and will be more than happy to add a note onto your file ensuring that you are not allocated this room again.

Once again I would like to sincerely apologise for the cleanliness issue which you had to endure and can assure 100% that this is not Hilton Nottingham's usual standards and will not continue in being so. I will alert the head housekeeper here immediately to this issue and will make certain that this will not be repeated as this is unacceptable and will not be tolerated.

I do hope that this will not deter you from visiting our other hotels and hope that you will choose to return to us again as I am certain that you will not experience another visit like this at our hotel.

Hotel Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (371)
  • Finnish first
  • Polish first
Reviewed April 11, 2013

Just returned from a family break with our two children 7 and 10 . We were given a massive quiet family room with a large double bed, a sofa bed and a single bed. There was still room for the children to play. The staff were friendly and helpful. The hotel breakfast had a mix of cooked and continental, with plentiful tea , coffee and fresh juice . The food was hot and of decent quality. The pool was large and the changing facilities were clean with lots of fresh towels. We were given complimentary cosmetics in the room, which were filled up each day. Shower gel , shampoo , conditioner and body lotion.

The tv had some sky channels but there was no free wi-fi, which is now even available in most coffee shops etc. The location was great for shopping eating out and tourist attractions. There is even a bus stop outside that takes you to the National History Museum which is housed in a stately home with large grounds, a deer park and lake. A family ticket return cost only £4.00 and the house and museum is free.

The hotel was very busy as the Norwich City Football Youth team and the Middlesex Cricket team were both staying here , but at no point was our stay effected with no delays even at breakfast time.

We got a great deal at the hotel including full breakfast for all four of us , for three nights and were able to swim with the kids twice a day. I would recommend this hotel for a short break for families.

My only recommendation to the hotel is free wifi as most families travel with iPads etc to entertain the kids in the evenings.

• Stayed April 2013
Dear DavenP,

Thank you very much for your recent review about your experience at Hilton Nottingham.

I am delighted to hear how fantastic your experience was whilst staying at the hotel especially the lovely large room, the friendly and helpful staff, the delicious breakfast and brilliant Living Well facilities.

I will be sure to pass on your review to the team here as they will be just as thrilled to read your review as I was.

I do hope that we can welcome you and your family back to the hotel in the near future.

Hotem Manager
Kent
Reviewed April 8, 2013

Had an overall very pleasant one night, 2 day weekend stay at the Hilton Nottingham , April 2013. Friendly, helpful staff, hearty breakfast with pleanty of hot and cold choices . Buffet style.
Pleasant , heated swimming pool with steam room, sauna and a gym. Stayed in room 164 on the 1st floor, but there is a function room which runs underneath this room and the music playing on the night of our stay was quite audible. I rang reception at midnight to enquire when the party would be finished and the receptionist informed me that it would be over by 1am prompt (which it was) and that he would ask the DJ to turn the music down a little (which he did).
The music might have been bearable if your taste is in deep base type dub-step and I was informed that I could change rooms if I so wished. However, it was late, so I turned on the tv to drown the noise for the final hour and was then able to get to sleep from 1am. So if you want a more peaceful, undisturbed night, opt for a room on a higher floor, as there were obviously sound issues to be addressed in that particular room.
Hotel is very central. You step outside into the city centre and there are numerous shops, cafes and restaurants etc within very easy walking distance.
Staff were very friendly,helpful and polite at all times. I would stay there again but will ask for a room on a higher floor next time.

Room Tip: Higher floor rooms are quieter,
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
Dear Tonicsfitnesscentre,

Thank you for your recent review about your time at Hilton Nottingham.

I am delighted to hear how fantastic you found the location of our hotel to have been as it provided you with instantaneous access to all the city has to offer. I am also thrilled to hear that you found the staff here extremely friendly and helpful and found the breakfast to have been very delicious.

I would however like to take this opportunity to apologise for any inconvenience you may have experienced within your room as a result of the noise disturbance.

Should you choose to visit us again I will be more than happy to allocate you a room on a higher floor ensuring that you do not experience the same issue again.

I do hope that we can welcome you back to the hotel in the near future.

hotel Manager
Holyhead
Reviewed April 7, 2013

No personal touches, no substance or style, nothing 'out of the box'...just typical average Hilton. Dated décor and uninteresting furniture. Very old fashioned look to the hotel. food was ok. had a duck en croute starter, that lacked taste, but main and dessert were fairly pleasant.
Wasn't impressed with breakfast. Usual plastic egg that Hilton is rumoured to buy in packets then reheat...staff look as though they are waiting to go home, few smiles here and there, and overall it was a Hilton experience...mediocre at best!

good location though.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
HotelManager_10, General Manager at Hilton Nottingham, responded to this review, April 15, 2013
Dear Shirley T,

Thank you for your recent review about your experience at our Hotel.

I am very sorry to hear that you were not overly satisfied with your stay here with us and would like to apologise for any inconvenience you may have experienced. Please rest assured that I will be sure to pass on all of your feedback onto the relevant departments allowing us to look into them further and rectify them as soon as possible, preventing any further issues.

I can assure that this type of experience is not what can be expectaed from Hilton Nottinghm and wilol not continue in being the case.

I do hope that your next stay with Hilton will be more satisfactory for you.

Nottingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 7, 2013

Despite being a Hilton Honours Gold Card holder, I was given a scruffy thread bare room with a view overlooking the Victoria Centre Flats, I stayed over after a Christmas Party & checked in late which probably explains the staff shortage & confusion, breakfast was good, the location of hotel is handy for the city centre however some of the rooms do need a refit, I expected better

Room Tip: Ask for a room not facing Victoria Centre Flats
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
HotelManager_10, General Manager at Hilton Nottingham, responded to this review, April 12, 2013
Dear davidhwood,

Thank you for your recent review about your experience at Hilton Nottingham.

I am very sorry to hear that you were not satisfied with the room you were allocated and would like to apologies for any inconvenience that this may have caused. We would be more than happy to allocate you a larger, recently refurbished room upon your next stay with us, all we ask is that you alert us to your arrival date and we will endeavour to provide you with a front facing room.

I am however pleased to hear that you thoroughly enjoyed our breakfast and found the location of the hotel to have been brilliant as a base to access the city.

I do hope that this will not deter you from visiting us again and I look forward top welcoming you back in the near future.

sincerely,

Australian Capital Territory, Australia
Reviewed April 6, 2013

This was my first stay here and in fact, my first visit to Nottingham. I know there have been some negative reviews of the Hilton Nottingham but I can highly recommend it, having stayed here for four nights.

The room was relatively spacious and the double bed was comfortable. The only hassle was there was someone in the room above who seemed to be doing his/her aerobics in the morning.

The hotel is in the centre of the city and close to everything such as Little Waitrose (across the road), the Conference centre, John Lewis and a host of restaurants and night clubs, etc. Nottingham Castle is about a 5-10 minute taxi ride away. So is Wollaton Hall and the train station.

The staff member at the ground floor restaurant offered me a helpful tip for the Sunday breakfast...9-10am is the peak hour, and she was right and then some. In fact, I queued up at about 10.20am and there still was a queue but I guess they comprised the remnants of the guests of the 6 hens' nights (yes count 'em, 6!) and 1 stag party.

The gym, which is in the basement, is worthwhile and includes a pool.

The concierge staff were top notch, with one of them recommending a Turkish restaurant nearby. Also, housekeeping were impressive, as they replaced my bedside light bulb at near midnight without any delay.

The reception staff were helpful, especially in suggesting the best and quickest way to visit Wollaton Hall, which is Bruce Wayne Manor in the Dark Knight Return movie. Again, the concierge staff booked a taxi for me.

Breakfast is delicious and you won't be disappointed.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Dear degrassifan,

Thank you so very much for your recent review about your time at Hilton Nottingham.

I am thrilled to hear what a fantastic experience you had whilst staying at our hotel and am even mor delighted that you would return to us again.

I was over joyed to hear about how each individual aspect of your stay made it that much better such as, the lovely room with a very comfortable bed, our brilliant city centre location providing an excellent base for all the sight seeing, our lovely and friendly hotel staff and finally our delicious breakfasts which i hope were worth the wait.

I will be sure to pass on your very kind comments to all the staff here at the hotel as they will be just as delighted as I was to hear of your excellent experience.

I look forward tow elcoming you back in the near future.

Paul michael
huntingdon, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 4, 2013

a tired hotel in need of refreshment, carpets were frayed on the stairs and spa area needed a deep clean. there was a fire alarm early in the morning, no fire department turned up to give the all clear, no guest names were checked off against the register, no explanation given, no apology or compensation offered.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts

Travelers are raving about these Nottingham hotels