“I expected better”

GreenLeadersSilver level
Nottingham, United Kingdom
“I expected better”
Reviewed April 7, 2013

Despite being a Hilton Honours Gold Card holder, I was given a scruffy thread bare room with a view overlooking the Victoria Centre Flats, I stayed over after a Christmas Party & checked in late which probably explains the staff shortage & confusion, breakfast was good, the location of hotel is handy for the city centre however some of the rooms do need a refit, I expected better

Room Tip: Ask for a room not facing Victoria Centre Flats
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
HotelManager_10, General Manager at Hilton Nottingham, responded to this review, April 12, 2013
Dear davidhwood,

Thank you for your recent review about your experience at Hilton Nottingham.

I am very sorry to hear that you were not satisfied with the room you were allocated and would like to apologies for any inconvenience that this may have caused. We would be more than happy to allocate you a larger, recently refurbished room upon your next stay with us, all we ask is that you alert us to your arrival date and we will endeavour to provide you with a front facing room.

I am however pleased to hear that you thoroughly enjoyed our breakfast and found the location of the hotel to have been brilliant as a base to access the city.

I do hope that this will not deter you from visiting us again and I look forward top welcoming you back in the near future.

sincerely,

Hotel Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (371)
  • Finnish first
  • Polish first
Australian Capital Territory, Australia
Reviewed April 6, 2013

This was my first stay here and in fact, my first visit to Nottingham. I know there have been some negative reviews of the Hilton Nottingham but I can highly recommend it, having stayed here for four nights.

The room was relatively spacious and the double bed was comfortable. The only hassle was there was someone in the room above who seemed to be doing his/her aerobics in the morning.

The hotel is in the centre of the city and close to everything such as Little Waitrose (across the road), the Conference centre, John Lewis and a host of restaurants and night clubs, etc. Nottingham Castle is about a 5-10 minute taxi ride away. So is Wollaton Hall and the train station.

The staff member at the ground floor restaurant offered me a helpful tip for the Sunday breakfast...9-10am is the peak hour, and she was right and then some. In fact, I queued up at about 10.20am and there still was a queue but I guess they comprised the remnants of the guests of the 6 hens' nights (yes count 'em, 6!) and 1 stag party.

The gym, which is in the basement, is worthwhile and includes a pool.

The concierge staff were top notch, with one of them recommending a Turkish restaurant nearby. Also, housekeeping were impressive, as they replaced my bedside light bulb at near midnight without any delay.

The reception staff were helpful, especially in suggesting the best and quickest way to visit Wollaton Hall, which is Bruce Wayne Manor in the Dark Knight Return movie. Again, the concierge staff booked a taxi for me.

Breakfast is delicious and you won't be disappointed.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Dear degrassifan,

Thank you so very much for your recent review about your time at Hilton Nottingham.

I am thrilled to hear what a fantastic experience you had whilst staying at our hotel and am even mor delighted that you would return to us again.

I was over joyed to hear about how each individual aspect of your stay made it that much better such as, the lovely room with a very comfortable bed, our brilliant city centre location providing an excellent base for all the sight seeing, our lovely and friendly hotel staff and finally our delicious breakfasts which i hope were worth the wait.

I will be sure to pass on your very kind comments to all the staff here at the hotel as they will be just as delighted as I was to hear of your excellent experience.

I look forward tow elcoming you back in the near future.

Paul michael
huntingdon, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 4, 2013

a tired hotel in need of refreshment, carpets were frayed on the stairs and spa area needed a deep clean. there was a fire alarm early in the morning, no fire department turned up to give the all clear, no guest names were checked off against the register, no explanation given, no apology or compensation offered.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts

Travelers are raving about these Nottingham hotels

Nottingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 3, 2013

I was lucky enough to have booked a King size room and worth the extra money as a double is just extremely small and unless you want a view of an air conditioning system or a black brick wall it is worth the extra money. The hotel overall was fine and to be fair only used the room, breakfast bar and evening bar and was ok. If you are looking for a place to put your head down away from the rabble then it is fine, however I cannot reiterate enough this is not a place for a romantic getaway and to be honest the rooms are not like others I have stayed within the Hilton group. One of my pet hates is bathroom cleanliness and the floor still had hairs on the floor similar to the bathroom tiles, however appreciate they have to do a quick turnaround but to some it could put them off.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled solo

Grimsby, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 3, 2013

Rooms clean,bed and pillows comfortable. Ideally situated for shops, and only ten min walk to Capital FM Arena. Bit rowdy in the area at night, but you expect that in Nottingham on a Saturday night. Breakfast excellent. The place is old and quite shabby in places, certainly not what you expect from 4 star.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple

Hampshire
Reviewed April 1, 2013

Booked this as a Last Minute secret hotel and, once I knew the hotel name, read the reviews on TA. Was really worried I had done the wrong thing but just back from a perfectly decent Easter weekend break. From the moment we drove up to the entrance the staff were friendly. The room was up in the eaves but fine for what we needed. It was clean and tidy with plenty of storage and recently decorated. It was a very cold weekend and the room was a little too hot for us but that was the only negative. The breakfasts were superb, the pool was a lovely temperature and the hotel location is excellent. Overall we had a good weekend in a reasonable hotel. I would probably consider staying here again.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear thjX,

Thank you for your recent review about our hotel.

I am delighted to hear what a fantastic experience you had whilst staying at our hotel especially, Our brilliant city centre location, our lovely and friendly staff and our superb breakfasts.

I will be sure to speak with our maintenance teams so they can look at the temperatures within the rooms to ensure that the temperature is comfortable for all our guests.

I look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the near future.

sincerely,

Leicester, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 1, 2013

Great location - Victoria Shopping centre a minute's walk away.

Public areas are fine.

Check in - very good, with personal touches.

Open the door to room 518 and everyone's heart sank.

This birthday 'treat' went down like a lead balloon.

Cramped space. Tired and dated furnishings. Stains everywhere including the flat sheet and duvet. Items for 2 guests when the room was made up for 3. The sofa 'bed' was a disgrace. More stainage. Broken wooden slats. Lumpy useless 'mattress'. When we asked to move rooms we were told that the alternatives didn't get any better! Still room 518 has no business being called a 'deluxe family room', as 'deluxe' will only disappoint you if you tend to stay in Hilton hotels.

I don't think I've ever had to call Housekeeping on so many occasions to put wrongs right. I even had to go down to reception at 1 point when Housekeeping wouldn't pick up. The lady who visited our room twice to change the sheets, and bring extra items for the third guest was excellent.

And to be fair the staff in general are quite good - but their environment let's them down terribly. This is NOT a 4* hotel. I'd rate it somewhere between a Premier Inn and a Travelodge.

Would I stay here again despite the great location? No.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Dear tanialh,

Thank you for your recent review about your experience at Hilton Nottingham.

I am very sorry to hear of your poor experience whilst staying at our hotel and would like to express my sincere apologies for any inconveience you may have experienced as a result of the issues you encountered. Please rest assured that I have spoken to all the relevant managers individually in order to ensure that all of the issues you have highlighted to us are rectified immediately.

Although I am very sorry that you had such a poor experience with us I am thrilled to hear how firndly and helpful the staff are at Hilton Nottingham as we pride ourselves on providing exceptional customer service.

I do hope that this will not deter you from visiting our other Hilton hotels and look forward to welcoming you back to Hilton soon.