“Great base, don't be put off by exterior!”

Crowne Plaza Hotel Nottingham
Ranked #16 of 41 Hotels in Nottingham
Reviewed February 26, 2013

Excellent value, room was spacious (it was a superior room) and beds comfortable,bathroom was spotlessly clean. All amenities are very close, ie shops, tram,theatre). Breakfast, if bought in advance at reception, is excellent value, though Saturday provided less choice than Friday and staff less on form. Reception staff were excellent. My daughter booked an executive room which was very spacious and had the amenities of the club lounge. Has its own carpark. Would stay again.

Room Tip: Go for a superior room and buy breakfast from reception.
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled with friends
rm_cpnottingham, Manager at Crowne Plaza Hotel Nottingham, responded to this reviewResponded February 27, 2013

Dear Pamela D,

Thank you for your review regarding your recent stay.

It was great to read that you enjoyed your stay and found your room to be spacious and spotlessly clean. I will make sure that I pass your comments onto our housekeeping team as they too will be very pleased.

I will also pass your comments regarding the Saturday breakfast offering onto the Head Chef for review as there should be no change in standards.

Once again thank you for your review and we hope to welcome you back soon

Kind reagrds

Reviewed February 25, 2013

This hotel is 5 mins in a cab from the Mainline station. We got a brilliant price for 2 nights which included breakfast so actually works out cheaper than "Premier Inn" It was 2mins walk from tram stop, theatre, shopping centre and Cinema so very convenient. I will agree with other reviewers rooms are small but have everything you require and a call down to reception will get you anything else you need. We ate in the hotel restaurant "The Lacemaker" on both nights first night ala carte which came to £80 that was starters ,mains and drinks which included a bottle of wine, the portions were huge so no room for dessert :(. On the 2nd night we took advantage of their special menu £29.99 two courses for two people with a glass of wine ( a great offer) there was a little mix up with the order but because of the delay we were offered a free dessert!! A special Thank you to Becky our waitress on both evenings and the manager who kindly squeezed us in when we hadnt booked. ( booking is essential as this restaurant is popular!! This was our second visit and definitely wont be our last!!

Dear Chardonnaylil,

Thank you so much for your review regarding your recent stay.

It was great to read that you thoroughly enjoyed your stay and in particular your dining experiences in The Lacemaker restaurant both evening you ate. It was particularly pleasing you read your comments regarding Becky who works in the restaurant. I will make sure that your review is passed onto her and she is appropriately recognised for her great service.

Once again thank you for your review and we look forward to welcoming you back

Reviewed February 25, 2013

This was booked as a suprise for my birthday. My partner booked an executive room with club lounge enterance. The hotel was nice on arrival and staff nice but a little "robotic" not chatty more scripted which is a shame.
The room however wasn't very "executive" it was VERY small and dated. The only real plus was it was clean! We visited the "executive" lounge which consisted of large beer fridges on a "help yourself" basis it wasnt fully stocked and allot of the popular cans of pop and bottled beer were already gone.
I have stayed in quite a few properties in Nottingham that have been better and allot more 4* I would definatley look into the better offers from the smaller chains or even the self service apartments.

Room Tip: try and request not to be near Rock City as when it empties it can get a little noisey
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
rm_cpnottingham, Manager at Crowne Plaza Hotel Nottingham, responded to this reviewResponded February 26, 2013

Dear LindsayN,

Thank you for your recent review and I hope you had a great birthday.

It was great to read that you found your room to be perfectly clean which was the real plus about your bedroom but unfortunately you found the room to be small and dated.

Due to the layout of the 8th floor our club rooms to differ in size with some being larger than others so should you be thinking of returning please contact me personally and I will arrange a larger room on the front of the hotel for you.

I will also liaise with the food and beverage team to ensure the club lounge remains stocked throughout the evening.

Reviewed February 24, 2013

This stay was a present for me and my partner for Christmas. On arrival it looked quite impressive but once in the room it went downhill fast. Vey small room infact we thought we had been given a single at first as there was only one bath towel but was assured it was a double. Not having a window to open felt very caustrophobic and amount of condensation in room was alarming the air con unit was so noisy that you couldnt sleep for the noise. We ate at the resturant which although looked very pretty on a cold feb night was very cold . The food was a great disapointment to luke warm and tasteless when it came after a 45 min wait between starter, Chicken dish with sauce was dry and bland and the sausage and mash im sure was Smash potato from a packet and for £10.95 very expensive. So to bed bed was far to small we are in no way overweight but bed seemed to be only a 3/4 not a double and then the noise from Rock City kicked in omg as we could not have the air con on because of the noise room got very condinsated drips were falling from top of window onto sills all in all terrible nights sleep. So would not return here until some of the issues have been resolved

Room Tip: ask for a room with a view and not overlooking nightclub at the back

Dear Jaynebingbing,

Thank you for your review.

I must admit I was rather disappointed in reading your review as it is clear that unfortunately you did not enjoy your stay. I do hope that you took the time to express your comments regarding your dining experience to a member of the team as I know they share my passion in resolving any problems and would have wanted to resolve any issues immediately.

I will of course share your review with the team just in case they were not made aware of your comments as we take feedback very important so that we can take any learning to improve for the future.

Once again my apologies and I do hope we have the opportunity in welcoming you back

Reviewed February 23, 2013

i arrived in nottingham on business, this hotel is about 15min walk from the train station, and close to shops pubs theatre cinema etc and also very close to a tramstop which i discovered ws also convenient for getting back to the station on the return journey
i was seen quickly in reception, and had a double room on the 4th floor
For a double, neither the room nor the bed were very big at all, i think it would be a squeeze for two people, compact is probably the word, but as i was on my own, it was ok for a single traveller
another small negative was the wallpaper and paintwork needed re-doing, and my pet peeve was that you have to pay for wifi intranet, even in the main area of the hotel
Service could have been better: I called down to reception at 6am realising that i had forgotten toothpaste, they said they would send it up but one hour later, it still hadnt materialised, so i had to go downstairs and get it myself. Then secondly, i called room service which they said would be 30 mins, when after 40 mins it hadnt turned up, i called again, to discover they hadnt made a note of my room, and it was only because i called down were they able to find out who had made the order, so i had to wait another half hour, making a total wait of 1hr 10mins for a chicken salad...so the service really could be better i think

However, these minor niggles out of the way, everything else was good. So pluses are bed, although small, was comfy, room was quiet and clean, and what i really liked were all the little complimentary extras: fluffy white bathrobe, bottled water both still and sparkling, earplugs; minichocolate, a copy of the economist magazine, nice toiletries and reception will supply little bits if you forget your toothpaste...even if you do go down and get them yourself.....

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business

Dear Ariana20,

Many thanks for you review regarding your recent stay.

Overall it was pleasing to read that you enjoyed your stay. However I must admit I was rather disappointed when reading that we missed a couple of service opportunities. One being room service and one being your request for a toothbrush. Please accept my apologies for this and I can assure you that I will pick both of these comments up with the relevant teams to ensure that they do not happen again.

Once again thank you and I do hope we have the opportunity in welcoming you back soon

Reviewed February 22, 2013

Stayed one night on business having used the hotel a couple of times before. Large car park at reasonable cost, i parked 30 hours for £12. I arrived at 8am to go to work and was allowed to check in so I didn't have to go back to the car for bags later. Room on 8th floor with access to club room, complimentary soft and alcoholic drinks and snacks, well worth the extra cost. Room a good size, great comfortable large bed. A bit of disturbance from rock city at the back of the hotel but i am a light sleeper. Will keep using this hotel.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business

Dear Patchesmum,

Thank you for your review regarding your recent stay.

It was great to read that you had a comfortable stay and in particular we managed to check you in early and you enjoyed the benefits of the club lounge.

Once again thank you and we hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back soon

Reviewed February 21, 2013

I brought my wife to Nottingham for Valentine's night having stayed at the hotel previously on a training course. I asked for a room with a nice view and we were put at the front of the hotel overlooking the city and into the counties beyond, a lovely view and even better when it's all lit up at night.

I had requested a bottle of champagne on ice in the room for our arrival and was pleased to see that waiting for us when we got there. The room was large, with a couple of chairs, a desk and the double bed. We had requested dinner at 7:30 so spent the afternoon watching the flatscreen tv and I used the shower to freshen up which was lovely

- As a side note, someone really needs to redesign those little bottles of shower gel/shampoo you get in hotels, there's usually no shelf safe to put them on without your shower blasting them off, and it's a real bind to empty what you need out of the bottle into one hand, then try to put the lid back on, then find somewhere to put it (if you're especially unlucky the shower will have metal rails that you can only lay the bottle down on it's side, not good if you've not been able to put that lid on!) -

Anyway, down to the restaurant for dinner. The Lacemaker restaurant in the hotel is in a lovely setting. You're indoors but there are trees and lights in the trees, all rather magical really! Unfortunately sometimes it feels like you're in a zoo, as you're behind railings and there's the route to an exit from the hotel going right past the dining area, so anyone nipping out for a ciggie, or into town, or back from town using that door gets a good look at what you're eating. Not what I'd normally expect in a restaurant. Not bad, it's not a busy thoroughfare by any means, it's just, unusual....

Meanwhile, the food was lovely and the service friendly and not too rushed but at the same time not too slow. It seemed to be quite busy for Valentine's night but nobody seemed to be panicking.

Anyway, back to the room for the night's sleep. The blackout curtains did their job admirably and we were woken by the distant sound of the time being chimed on a clock.
Breakfast was the full english/continental variety or whatever you'd prefer, and plenty of tea and coffee if that's what's needed in the morning.

We took advantage of the 12 o'clock checkout to have a slow morning in the room, it was nice not to feel rushed into packing the room up.

Check-out, much like check-in, was efficient, although mostly silent. Also, £12 to park overnight for guests still seems steep, especially if you're paying full price for the room. Maybe that's just the going rate in Nottingham though.

So overall, a nice hotel that's better than a standard business hotel, very impressive foyer area, smart staff and a good location. Will definately come back, if they'll have me!

Room Tip: Ask for a room overlooking the city and not over the back of the hotel

Dear Greybob,

Many thanks for your comprehensive review regarding your recent valentines break.

It was really positive to read that you enjoyed your stay and in particular the food served for your evening meal in The Lacemaker restaurant and also breakfast. Our guest reviews are a great way for us to gain valuable feedback on our guest stay so as always I will of course make sure that I share your comments with the team.

Once again thank you and we hope to welcome you back soon