“Good choice for New Years”

Crowne Plaza Hotel Nottingham
Ranked #22 of 49 Hotels in Nottingham
Caerphilly, United Kingdom
“Good choice for New Years”
Reviewed February 17, 2013

I attended the Crowne Plaza for the new year's masquerade ball and had a great time.

The event itself was well managed (could perhaps have benefitted from more champagne on arrival as there was a mad dash by greedy guests and you had to wait to pick your own up rather than being offered one). The food was of a good quality and better than I've previously experienced at large catered events. Two starters, one of which was haggis accompanied by a bagpiper which was a nice touch for new years!

We also stayed in the hotel that night which was great for convenience. Rooms are clean and well furnished with robes, toiletries, chocolates, aromatherapy srpay etc in the executive room (earplugs also provided for rooms which overlook a late night venue). Overall feel of the hotel is corporate but tasteful.

Very close (walking distance) to the centre of town and the railway station. Would definately consider staying again if needed a central base in Nottingham.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
rm_cpnottingham, Manager at Crowne Plaza Hotel Nottingham, responded to this review, February 19, 2013
Dear LauraJ777,

Thank you so much for your review regarding your stay on New Years Eve. It was really pleasing to read that you thoroughly enjoyed the Masquerade Ball. I will certainly share your review with the team members involved in making the night a great success.

Hopefully we will get the opportunity in welcoming you back to the hotel soon.

Natalia Dainty
Operations Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (304)
Brighton, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 12, 2013

I was here for a conference in February 2013, and only stayed one night. Was disappointed to find that my 'bed' was in fact two single beds, made up separately, and pushed together. Inevitably, I managed to fall through as they were on wheels and easily slid apart. Ooops.

Conference food was bland and uninspired; chicken with a tasteless mushroom sauce, raw vegetables, and boring boiled spuds. A shame really, as I usually like Crowne Plazas (the Birmingham hotel being a particular favourite).

Some nice touches; decent complimentary toiletries (including scented pillow spray!) but as with many hotels, the obscene cost of internet (£20/24hrs) leaves a poor impression.

As for location, ideally placed for the city centre, and only a 10-15 min walk to/from the train station.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
rm_cpnottingham, Manager at Crowne Plaza Hotel Nottingham, responded to this review, February 17, 2013
Dear DavidW,

Thank you for you review regarding your recent stay.

My apologies that your dining experience did not live up to your expectations. I will make sure that I share your comments with our Head Chef for review as we are currently in the process of implementing new menus so wil0l address your comments.

In relation to your bed we have some continental double beds that can be made as double or twins which zip together which give us the flexibility of room layout. When being used as a double these should always be zipped together so they can not come away. I am sincerely sorry this was not the case and can assure you i will address this with the housekeeping department.

Once again thank you for your comments

Natalia Dainty
Operations Manager

Travelers are raving about these Nottingham hotels

Leicester, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 11, 2013

We stayed for one night on a groupon deal and were very pleased with it. The check in was very friendly and efficient as were the bar staff later on. Rooms are good and well equipped, clean too. As we were staying for just the Sunday night it was a bit disappointing to be told the restaurant was closed (evening meal was included in the deal)this hadn't been mentioned when booking. While I think there would probably have been more choice in the restaurant, the meal we did receive was absolutely fine and we enjoyed it. Breakfast next morning was plentiful and a good quality. As part of the deal, car parking was free, which we were very pleased about!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
ManagerCrownePlaza, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Hotel Nottingham, responded to this review, February 12, 2013
Dear chloeEastMidlands

Thank you for your recent review and I am very pleased to read that you had an enjoyable stay with us.

I will certainly share your kind comments with the team and we all look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel very soon.

York
Reviewed February 10, 2013

Just a one night stay in this modern town centre hotel but gave a very good account for itself. Car parking is very close by in a multi-storey car park joined on the the hotel and with direct access to the hotel via lift to main concourse with reception one floor below. Check in quick, easy and efficient. As our room only had been pre-paid we were offered to pay for any purchases within hotel on account or pay as you go, happy to pay for breakfast the next morning but as we were eating out at Marco Pierre Whites Steakhouse Restaurant that afternoon we choice pay as you go.
Room was excellent, large enough without wasted space, very clean with good attention to detail such as soft towels (why do so many budget hotels only provide towels that are excellent if you wish to exfoliate), personal care bathroom products, a shower/bath that was big enough so the curtain did not wrap itself around you as you showered, in the room there was a quality modern flat-screen TV, tea & coffee making with plenty of milk pots, comfy beds with good pillows and aa a final touch a fully controllable heating and air-con system that works.
Location excellent for all the town centre facilities 50 metres takes you right into shopping and dining town centre where the theatres and clubs are also located.
All public areas were spacious, well appointed, clean and with a relaxed atmosphere. As we eat out we only had breakfast on the Saturday morning which I can also praise, we were shown to our table by the restaurant manager who informed us of the system, tea & coffee served with a self service buffet which contain all you would need from full English to continental, fresh orange, toast, lovely but bad for you fried bread and very tasty bacon. Very good. We were not rushed out of our rooms either, after breakfast we went for a walk around the town centre not returning until near 12 noon to be welcomed back to our room by the maid in the corridor who told us not to rush we had plenty of time.
Only complete is the Car Park, there is no concession for hotel guests and parking for just over 24 hours was around £14 which if added to the cost of the room and breakfast put the true cost of a night stay for B & B well above their advertised headline price. But it was still good value for a town centre hotel, my home city is York and a similar hotel here would cost the very much to same.
I was impressed with this hotel and will be recommending it to my national members organisation as a possible venue for their annual conference or at least one of their regional meetings.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank kenstarsix
ManagerCrownePlaza, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Hotel Nottingham, responded to this review, February 11, 2013
Dear kenstarsix

Thank you very much for your kind review.

I was very pleased to read that you enjoyed your stay with us I will certainly share this with the team.

With regard to your national members organisation annual or regional conference I will be delighted to be your personal point of contact should you wish.

I look forward to hearing from you and welcoming you back to Nottingham very soon.

Dudley
Reviewed February 3, 2013

We have just returned from a break at this hotel.We had an excellent stay,the reception staff were very pleasant,the executive room was perfect,and the breakfast was very good apart from the small plates.The location is perfect,being just two minutes from the city centre,and some good bars and restuarants.We will return here again in the near future.

Room Tip: Pay the extra and upgrade to an executive room,you get free drinks and nibbles in the club lounge, w...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
ManagerCrownePlaza, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Hotel Nottingham, responded to this review, February 4, 2013
Dear Mark T

Thank you for your recent review.

I am so pleased to read that you enjoyed your stay with us.

We are currently investigating a new plate warmer to be fitted to the breakfast buffet unit which as you quite rightly suggest will enable us to provide a larger plate.

We look forward to seeing back in Nottingham very soon.

Chesterfield, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 1, 2013

I stayed here recently for a couple of nights to attend a conference. Fortunately, I had an upgraded room on the eighth floor. The hotel reception is confusing. The car park is attached, but you have to get out on the second floor, and go down another floor to the hotel reception, in a different lift. No signs to let you know this!
Reception itself.....I had been on the phone for ten minutes being guided by a receptionist as the sat nav instructions on the website wasn't recognized by my in-car sat nav. (car only a year old, so not out of date). And they did say it doesn't get recognized by all sat navs....maybe they should put that on the web site with actual street you need. I was driving round Nottingham in rush hour traffic trying to speak with receptionists to get to where I needed to be!
Hotel reception neat and tidy, nice flower arrangements....but the reception staff were a little.....pompous! I don't like that attitude...as though you are a number, no friendly banter, just get the check-in job done with the minimum of attention. There were several details about my room they didn't tell me, times of breakfast, where to go for breakfast, what were the car park charges, where the bar was - all the important stuff I had to ask about.
Room was clean, public areas were clean and tidy. Conference facilities good, catering poor for the meeting, though, and main meal in the evening quite tasteless.
Two lady chefs at breakfast......lovely. Good. Helpful. Young man serving coffee at breakfast.....same. Helpful and friendly. Made my coffee the second day just perfect. (double espresso made into mug - they way he made it the day before, without me asking)
Bar staff in the evening.....no problems, no complaints - very good.
The only thing letting it down was the one or two reception staff. The impression I got was that they are too good to bother being friendly, stick to the book when it comes to meeting and greeting, no personality. I may come over as particularly chatty and friendly - don't make it seem as though that makes me beneath you! One lady in particular - though I did notice she was more than friendly when it was a gentleman and not a lady she was dealing with! That may be harsh, but she was just short of being out-right rude. I asked for toothpaste - she just walked away from me, went to a drawer, got some out, handed it to me - all without saying a word! Managers - have a word with her!! It is such a shame that her service attitude has made me mark the hotel down, despite everyone else being really good! Just the one bad apple spoils the barrel!
It is only 5-10 minutes from the centre of town, so very handy. Two different bar areas, so a good thing when there is a party going on.....you can go to different one.
Breakfast more than adequate - well cooked and served, chefs attentive at the grill part.
I would suggest an upgrade to club room, purely because the rooms are slightly better equipped, you have access to club lounge, where there are nibbles and wine/lager/soft drinks available. Alcoholic drinks free for their 'happy hour' in the evening.

Room Tip: Pay for the club level rooms....
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Gunny001
Dear Gunny001

Thank you very much for your recent review.

I am pleased to read that your enjoyed the majority of your stay and that most of the team were friendly and accommodating.

I am sorry that you this was not the case at reception and please rest assured I will be following this up with the reception manager. It is a shame that the service you received here was not up to our usual standards.

You also make some very valid points regarding sinage for the car park lifts and I will certainly be looking at implementing your recomendations along with the web site address. I do understand how frustrating after a long journey this must have been.

Thank you again.

Bedford, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 31, 2013

This hotel is pretty good for th business traveller. there is a car park in the centre that charges £12 overnight for guests. The hotel on first impressions is pretty good. nice airy bar and reception. The room was a bit small but sufficient. The furniture was tired and the shower was not great. Breakfast was pretty good though if a bit pricey at £10 in advance or £15 on the day. The best thing here is the location. You are a short walk into the town where there is a cinema on th doorstep and some restaurant.

Room Tip: They supply earplugs but I didnt need them. I was on the 7th floor so may be worth asking for a high...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Dear Stehen0

Thank you for your recent review.

You will be pleased to note that we are soon to start our next refurbishment programme on the bedrooms.

I will certainly pass on your concerns regarding the shower to the team and ensure that this is resolved.

Thank you again and we look forward to seeing you back at the hotel again soon when I would be pleased to take care of the arrangements personally for you should you wish.