“Dreadful hotel”

Ranked #43 of 49 Hotels in Nottingham
Salisbury, United Kingdom
“Dreadful hotel”
Reviewed February 8, 2014

This is one of the worst hotels I have ever stayed in. The allegedly 'executive room' was very dingy, cold and slightly grubby. I tried to ring reception to book a taxi and there was no response - apparently they were very busy, I tried a second time and the phone no longer worked. There is no Internet access in the rooms. Breakfast is disgusting - tinned fruit, very basic muesli, wheetabix and cooked breakfast congealing in metal dishes. The only coffee is instant - made from lukewarm water in flasks. There are very few staff and most of those are frankly not interested in their work or the hotel guests. The sole exception was the young man in the bar who escorted me downstairs when the lift failed to work. The hotel's only saving grace is its excellent central location but this does not make up for its inadequacies.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (253)
  • Polish first
Harrogate, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 7, 2014

Was cheap and I got what I paid for. Room was tatty and not very clean. Staff were offhand. Phone did not work neither did thumb turn (important for loan female traveller). Room was not serviced because I did not hang out 'please service room' sign. When it was serviced the next day the bed was not made properly. Sink leaked in bathroom. Lift was nice and fast and bed was comfortable.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
Reviewed February 3, 2014

Well if you are looking for quality this place does not have any, but to be fair the basic nature of things was not in fact as bad as some might say. We rated this as average because the staff were friendly and the bed was very comfortable. On the down side wifi was not working, the parking was extortionate and the over-all feel was of a hotel in need of modernisation. All told not terrible and not great

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Scunthorpe, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 30, 2014

I booked a deal via groupon one night stay for two people to include breakfast, evening meal and bottle of sparkling wine in room in arrival. I bought two groupons to extend my stay and so had two meals/breakfast and wine included. When booking I asked for twin room as it was a gift to my disabled mother.. The pictures on the groupon looked lovely and had nice things said. Upon arriving, I was horrified to see a high rise shabby hotel on the main road, not what the photos had in the advert that I purchased from.. Anyway, having travelled all that way thought it would be ok but then found no on site parking, had to find car park and walk down lots of stairs with my disabled mum and suitcases to then get to the hotel. Reception wa dark and dingy and had people walking in off the street using the w.c facilities.. Receptionist took a long time on phone before seeing to me. Provided my reservation number and they confirmed I only had one night booked.. Provided evidence that I had paid for two in which she was a little annoyed that I was annoyed at this stage. Was give a twin room on 5th floor.. Not good with a disabled person in tow but there was a lift so didn't question it. No mention of dinner reservation that was included or any information on breakfast etc just handed the room keys. Walking through the corridor I knew i wasn't going to enjoy my stay by the state of the carpet and decor which wa just minging!! Opened the door to our room and found the most disgusting room ever!! It wasn't even 1 star in my opinion.. A homeless person would have turned this room down.. There was a bad smell, stains all over the chairs and carpet, bathroom was filthy and toilet didn't flush properly, mini bar was screwed shut, window handles falling off but the view out the window was of the car park.. Water all over the bathroom floor, tv didn't work, lampshades broken.. JUST GROSS!! My poor mum sat and cried it was that disgusting!! I decided that we wouldn't stay and walked back to receptionsit and handes her the room keys back and said I wasn't staying there and got a reply of "ok" no questioning of what was wrong no trying to out right the situation just no customer service at all whatso ever!! Complained to groupon and got my money refunded but still lost out on my parking charge which was £6 for and hour and half!! Petrol cost and train tickets.. I would not recommend this hotel to anyone!! Not even for a drunken night out with the lads/girls.. Unless you want to get bitten by fleas then maybe this hotel would be for you but unwound recommend to steer clear!

• Stayed January 2014
5 Thank M155RJ
Tewkesbury, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 30, 2014

Having stayed at this hotel before, again I found this hotel to be ideally situated close to the centre of Nottingham, the car parking is NCP but the hotel gave a concession for our 3 day visit, it was ideally situated as it was just across a walk way which led into the rear of the hotel (through the bar area) and there was a lift taking one down one level to the Reception. The booking in process was very swift and we had a good room over looking the centre. Although the hotel does need updating it has a good location within the city.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
oldham
Reviewed January 26, 2014

just returned from above hotel mystery trip with national nice clean room and bathroom extra pillows if needed. television very old and difficult to work needs up dating asked at reception if they had any flavoured teas we were told no ..went for our evening meal guess what a whole box of different teas . good meal nice and hot self service . no cheese available just biscuits .went to the bar for 2 glasses of wine barman suggested we had a bottle it was very good and only 7 pounds he even carried to the restaurant for us .good value for money staff very nice except reception it seemed it was to much trouble .talking amongst themselves.

Room Tip: we had 103 over looking the car park lights running all night .but had nice shutters at the window
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends
Wakefield, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 30, 2013

Ok well where to start got dropped off here for a 1 night stay as this was the chosen hotel for the mystery Xmas break we went on and well glad it was for only 1 night as there was only 1 lift working and it was a nightmare as there was over 10 floors and instead of going/stopping at the floor you selected it didn't from the bottom it would start and go to each floor and then when it finally reached the top it would go back down each one dropping off and due to amount of floors it took ages. The room depending on which one you was in wasn't for disabled I'm afraid as I have a fold up scooter that small and I had trouble getting into the room as it was narrow and bent round to get into it plus there was a large table outside the room don't know why making it even harder to get in. Plus room was very cold slept in clothes and coat as couldn't get heating working at all. Found hair on toilet seat as well but apart from two things mentioned with room rest of it was ok. Food is ok not brilliant as there isn't much choice and tea/coffee was cold as it was just on a table at the side to help yourself but as I say they was cold. Overall I wouldn't stop here again and I wouldn't of chosen it myself in the 1st place but best way I can describe it is it's a posh place done on the cheap very cheap that is if that makes sense and the pictures of the rooms are mis leading as its nothing like pictures make it look posh fancy loads of light etc and it's opposite but I suppose I can't complain as I paid £39 for a 2 day break even though I wasn't pleased to here some had paid £25 instead but that's not hotels fault. Only good thing about it was there was a mini tesco next to it and pubs across the road from it made it a bit noisy but it was ok not enough to keep you awake. Fridges in the room was empty and seem to be locked as no one could open them so I assume they was meant to be a mini bar and not meant to use yourself otherwise might of given it a better rating

Room Tip: Get a room not on road side close to pubs and if disabled get a room thats easily accessable as I...
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled with family