“It's all about the location”

The Britannia Nottingham Hotel
Ranked #44 of 50 Hotels in Nottingham
Chesterfield, United Kingdom
“It's all about the location”
Reviewed July 4, 2013

It is all about the location for this hotel. Without that it was be getting just a one star! The reception area was dark and un-welcoming. However, the receptionist was friendly and helpful. The room was extremely spacious and had the potential to be a fabulous suite. However, it lacked care and attention. The cleanliness/maintenance was poor:
The chair had a stain on it
The carpet was vacuumed to the point of the chair
The bin had the previous residents' rubbish in
The shampoo was part used
The pillow case was on inside out and the pillows had stains on
The tap was not secure and there was no plug for the sink

However, if your expectations are low (and based on the low price they should be!) then the location is perfect for the city centre. I was surprised that it was quiet despite being on a main road. Plus, the views of the city and Nottingham Castle from my room (907) were brilliant.

Room Tip: Ask for a higher room to get good views.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (247)
  • Polish first
Nottingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 2, 2013

My parents were coming from Brazil for my my graduation in Nottingham and when choosing for a hotel our main requirement was that it should have a good location. We booked a couple of months in advance with Britannia and a week and a half before their arrival we received an e-mail saying that there was a problem with our booking and we were transferred to Best Western Hotel in Long Eaton (12km from Nottingham city centre!!!).
If this wasn't enough I went over there to complain and see if there is anything else we could do but the office manager (Caroline Buttery) was very rude and didn't even look at me. She didn't seem to pay attention/care AT ALL to what I was saying to her. She kept responding: "it's just 15mins by car..not far at all!." I'm sure she didn't get the bit I said they were coming from Brazil and therefore not driving over...
We planned our trip around UK based on our hotel in Nottingham which was located in the centre and close to the train station. We will have to pay for taxis as there is no near by train station (we also have already bought our tickets anyways) and our trains leave very early or comes back very late.
I'm extremely disappointed and upset. This couldn't have ended up any worse. They were totally useless and inconsiderate.
After reading these reviews I'm kind of happy they are not going there anymore. Don't suggest it to anybody!

Room Tip: don't go to this hotel, they will treat you like crap!
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank AnaCOliveira
Liverpool, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 26, 2013

We needed a place to stay in Nottingham, and chose the Britannia because of it's great location and affordability. The car-parking facilities are not advertised clearly, and after asking we were treated like incompetents by the standoffish reception staff. The room was cramped and about 100 degrees, which made sleeping a nightmare. The walls were so thin they were almost transparent. Instead of curtains, huge sliding wooden panels blocked out any possible sunlight, which ordinarily would be a good thing, but because of the intense heat made us feel like we were on lock-down in prison. After riding the elevator from 'Charlie and the Chocolate Factory' to the restaurant, we sat down to what I can only describe as the worst meal of my life. Soup which smelt of wet cats, pork which looked like it had been run over, and chicken tikka which had a skin so thick on it you could paint your shed with it. The desserts also tasted like they were still defrosting. I won't fault the price, because it was great value for money, and the location is fantastic, but I wouldn't recommend staying here to anybody. Ever.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 25, 2013 via mobile

Stayed here as we needed a cheap and cheerful hotel in Nottingham for the night. I do believe you get what you pay for so we were under no illusions of grandeur. The rooms were cramped with paper thin walls and wooden panels rather than curtains, meaning that we were constantly boiling. We were half board so ate dinner here and it was genuinely awful. A buffet style three course menu, the food had obviously been left out for a while as it was growing a skin. The food was disgusting, and breakfast not much better. The location is fantastic, but having to park in a multi story was inconvenient. I would not recommend this hotel to anybody.

• Stayed June 2013
Nottingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 25, 2013

stayed for 1 night for wedding anniversary. arrived at check in to a very stand offish receptionist not welcoming at all. room cards did not work, the lift handrails hanging off he wall, finally got into room was very dirty and dusty with food all down the wall, which I cleaned myself as waited ages for the cleaner to attend to it. bath not very clean and took ages to fill due to slow runny water. the tv was very old and could only get a very fuzzy picture, the bedding was clean and room large, the evening meal was nice , breakfast was also nice but would of liked proper coffee not sachets that was the same as in the bedroom. overall wouldn't of wanted to stay any longer than 1 night.

Room Tip: go to another hotel
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Newcastle upon Tyne, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 24, 2013

Stayed for one night while in a local sports competition. The first things I noticed were out tired everything looked. Décor, carpets, lifts, stairwells look like they have not been replaced or refreshed in 20 years.
But it was the night's sleep that I wanted, so I can push that aside. The room I stayed in was on the 6th floor away from the lift with a good view. because I wanted a good night's sleep I was in initially pleased with the location of the room; but the walls are so thin you can hear conversations in adjoining rooms (until 4am....) doors shutting (sounds like slamming - but that is just the way the doors shut) and the noise from the street (nightclub outside and rowdy, screaming people on the street until 3am ) meant that I had an awful night.

Breakfast was odd. How other reviews can say this was okay, I have no idea. No fresh coffee (just the same single-serve instant sachets) , so I went for the tea - but the teapot was full of milk (no milk jugs, so the teapots were acting as milk jugs which was very confusing after the lack of sleep) so had to make tea in tiny cups. The food was pretty gross: rock-hard, dry (deep fried?) bacon; deep fried sausages, very watery powered scrambled 'eggs', chewy fried/poached eggs; beans with a crust on top; and a big tub of watery tinned chopped tomatoes.

I am not one for false-expectations. I am quite happy with budget hotel chains and know that low-ish cost city centre places are not great ;but I will never, ever stay in any hotel from this chain ever again.
I would rather have slept in my car and gone to a burger place for breakfast - at least then it would have been quiet and I would have had fresh food and a decent coffee.

Room Tip: Go somewhere else
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank Steve H
Dudley, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 16, 2013

Stayed here for 1 night for a concert on Saturday night with my mom. Firstly, we had to wait about half an hour to check in as there was only 1 person on reception, the rest were "at a wedding held upstairs". The receptionist didnt apologise throughout check in and was generally rather stand offish. Our room was shabby with thread bare carpet in places. The room was dirty and uncomfortable. Breakfast was ok. Check out was by another rude staff member (Rebecca) who didnt even speak as we handed in our key card. For £80 a night this was a complete disappointment.. will not use again..

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family