“Reasonably Priced For What You Get”

The Britannia Nottingham Hotel
Ranked #36 of 41 Hotels in Nottingham
Reviewed July 27, 2011

I decided to book a room prior to reading the reviews here, and whilst I would tend to agree with some of the comments, I cannot agree with all of them.

This is clearly a budget priced hotel and you get what you pay for. I paid £42,00 for one night which included a £2,00 telephone booking fee. It was shown on the hotel's website as being discounted from £100. There is no way I would have paid £100 and this hotel does not justify that rate in my humble opinion.

The hotel is centrally located and I do agree with others in that its exterior does look somewhat drab, dated and uninviting. But I do not consider that a factor in how good a Hotel is. Its what is inside that counts.
Upon entering the Reception area, I could smell food being cooked, but it was not an unpleasant smell. The lone Receptionist was very pleasant and dealt with me as I would expect to be dealt with. No complaints there. I did notice some large tears and rips in the settees in reception and do agree with others in that the photographs on the hotel's website do not live up to the reality.

I made my way in the lift to the fifth floor where I was booked into room 518. After a bit of a struggle with the keycard I was inside and to be honest I got was I was expecting to get for what I paid. A basic room, not unclean or untidy, perhaps in need of a little updating, but apart from that, I could find very little fault.

The furniture is, I agree, a tad out-dated and some peices did not match. The bed was made up, not to my own standards (I'm a chalet cleaner at Butlins), but it was clean and comfortable. The room overlooked part of the city and a main road so traffic noise up until around 11pm could be heard, but it was not off-putting. This is a hotel in the heart of a major City after all.

There were a few pink stains on the white bed linen, but nothing to put me off sleeping in the bed. There were also a few stains on the bathroom floor, again nothing to gruble about, And they were hardly noticable. I only took a bit of time to look in more detail because of all the adverse reviews here, many of which I cannot agree with. Some of these reviewers must of been expecting London Ritz style accomodation but at budget prices.

I spent the majority of my time in the hotel room catching up on gossip with an old friend of mine who I had not seen for almost three years, so I cannot comment on other areas in the hotel, but I can comment on Room Service.

I ordered two meals, which I was told I would either have to go down to the Bar to pay by debit/credit card, or pay the rom service waiter cash when he brought our meals up.
I have never heard of this before, and I've stayed in numerous hotels in the UK in my lifetime. I have always signed a receipt with my room number on it and then settled the bill upon check out. ..

If anything this was my only complaint. Overall, I was reasonably impressed witth what I got for what I paid and I will have no hesitation in returning to this hotel in the future. Only this time I will be enquiring as to a larger room with an armchair and more space as the double room I was booked into was a tad on the small side for two people. I booked for two persons, but my friend found it a bit cramped and decided not to stay overnight with me as originally planned. So next time I hope I will be able to get a larger double room with more space to sit and not have to lay on the bed wo watch TV.

That was not a complaint by the way and did not mar our re-union.

Would I recommend this hotel = YES - IF you are looking for a *cheap* hotel room for one or two nights. I'm not sure if I'd stay a full week or more. But other than that, if you are on a tight budget and don't mind a bit of tired and dated furniture and decor, this hotel is worthy of a try.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled with friends
Write a ReviewReviews (1,337)

Reviewed July 24, 2011

I am not a hotel snob, and like camping as much as the next boy scout. I only wish I HAD been staying in my tent.
Reception area was tired and room corridors smelt musty with stained carpets. Walls were marked and corner edges were held together with masking tape. The lifts took forever.
Very disappointing room. I daredn't walk around with bare feet in case I caught something from the stained carpet. Fixtures and fittings dirty and very worn. The large tv was dusty and grubby on the front control panel area. The telephone was grubby with a constant red flashing light letting me know there was a message (which wasn't accessible?!). Air vents hadn't been vacuumed, ever and unfortunately one of these was directly above me in the shower. Even after washing my hair I still didn't feel 'clean'! The shower and sink taps were very scaled and stained, and the hair in my sink plug hole made me gag, (There should have been a riser plug in there though this was broken and a plastic plug with no chain kindly provided). There was a common problem with the showers as I overheard many fellow guests say. My temperature was ok, however I found it very hard to completely switch it off and had to get out and dry my hands first. A brown stain beside the sink, cigarette burns on the tiles and general wall-meets-floor grime completed the look.
MY bed linen was clean, though the bed was extremely soft. My colleague found at least 3 pubic hairs and a blood stain on hers, which was soon changed by the hotel. (The service was quick). Like a road kill, I couldn't help but look when the linen was changed only to see a pelvic-area stain on the mattress itself.
On pulling the desk chair out, the handle on the chair detached itself from the frame. Not even the hair and the thick layer of dust on it was holding it together.
We checked out early. Reception did not seem surprised or ask if anything was the matter. Funnily enough there was no comment card to be found. The Company rebooked us into another hotel straight away which we were extremely grateful for.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled on business
3  Thank Crackinstuff
Reviewed July 17, 2011

My husband and I stayed at the Britannia Nottingham for bed and breakfast. i can honestly say that this is possibly the worst hotel we have ever stayed in. The room was a throwback to the 70's very dated furniture, the bed was like an ironing board with a huge rip in the mattress. The shower had 2 settings, scalding hot or icy cold. The staff were at best disinterested and bored looking - customer service was not evident.

The breakfast was disgusting.. The choice was non existent - no fresh fruit, no pastries, no continental catering at all. Once you had a glass for your orange juice you needed to hang on to it as they ran out and customers had to either try to fit a wine glass under the juice dispenser or wait for glasses to be cleaned.

The tea and coffee were not just bad they were not fit to drink - stewed to death in cheap flasks. The dining room was scruffy, dirty and smelt stale.

The worst part of breakfast was that I found hairs in the mushrooms. When I told the waitress she just smiled and said "oh really?" nothing else - total apathy,

The hotel had several stag/hen parties and the hotel clearly catered for this market with cheap stodgy food that probably wont be eaten due to hangovers.

Do not stay at this hotel if you want a clean, relaxing environment.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Mully01_11
Reviewed July 14, 2011

Went to this hotel with a group of friends on a coach trip recently.
The hotel has obviously seen better days and looks like it has changed hands several times over the years.
The room we were issued with was large and spacious. It had two double beds, and two bathrooms (good eh?) the bathrooms and bedding were clean and I noticed no visible marks on the sheets etc. The television was an old CRT set but was satisfactory. The room had the usual tea and coffee facilities, nothing was passed it's sell by date.
The room was a little dusty in places and the curtains were a bit worn but I did get a good night's sleep on the two days when we were there.
We went out in Nottingham for something to eat on both days so I cannot comment on the food in the hotel, however we were told by our friends who had eat there that the evening meal was good.
The bar was dated and worn out, it looked like a 1970's airport lounge. It was very dull and had no atmosphere. The beer or lager seemed not to keep a head for long.
The staff were good and I had no problems with them.
So in summary the positives were: Good Sleep, Central Location, Low Price & Generally Clean.
The negatives were: Poor Bar, Dated Interior, Beer & Lager Flavoured Drinks & Smelly Reception/Bar/Restaurant Area.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled with friends
3  Thank ChrisMc_11
Reviewed July 12, 2011

We booked out stay at the Britannia Nottingham as we were looking for a city centre hotel to attend an open day at the University which was reasonably priced and two nights available.

However, all the negative reviews about the hotel were correct if you were put on a lower floor, although, if you luck enough to be on a higher floor your experience might have been different. When we arrived, we definitely found the main receptionist and other main receptionists which followed very unwelcoming and uninterested in answering your questions. However, the other support staff did try to make the stay better. The first shock was the £10 per day parking charges. We hadn't anticipated this.

The main reception was fine and the bar clean but tired looking with repairs to the leather furniture. However, this is definitely not the big, big issue! We went to the 4th floor and first noticed that even at 3pm, the hallways were filthy, unvacuumed, with litter strewn around. This is a smoking hotel and as such, stinks of stale smoke almost everywhere. The smoking and non-smoking rooms are mixed together, so it smells regardless of which room you choose.

The room we were taken to was extremely small with just enough room to move your feet around between the chest and bed, but nothing else. The beds were very old, dirty and squeaked loudly when just sitting on them, making it impossible to sleep on. There was coffee spilled against the bed base, all over the carpet, the side table and in the drawers. How a cleaner could have missed this, I don't know.

I went to reception to ask to be moved to another room and a very nice young man did move us straight up to the 9th floor where it was a different picture altogether. The halls were clean, didn't smell, the room was larger, the beds newer and comfortable, and no smell of smoke as yet as the rooms around us were non-smoking. Having said that, there still some problems. The hotel caters for hen nights etc so we had a large group of loud guys slamming doors and being really loud until about 10pm on both nights. Although non-smoking, the smoke from smoking rooms was wafting it's way through the ventilation and into our bathroom so we had to keep our bathroom door shut. It is an old hotel, so the water pressure is negligible. although clean generally, there had obviously been some serious water damage behind the toilet, so the vinyl was badly damaged and gross looking. Something which could have been corrected.

This is our second stay at a Britania (we forgot about Stoke on Trent horrible experience!) and it was just as bad. There is not excuse for the above issues. It is not a 'budget hotel' and even so, budget is not synonymous with unclean, unfriendly, smelly, etc.

Breakfast was OK if you like cheap alternative products, like cardboard tasting cereal, juice, and very salty bacon, low quality sausages etc. However, there was plenty of it.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled with family
3  Thank FAMILY1963
Reviewed July 11, 2011

Ive been complaining since February, which is when we stayed for a special occasion. the mattress was mouldy with bodily fluids and had eaten away until it had exposed the stuffing. The bathroom was mouldy and the shower curtain infected with spores. Ive complained about 15 times to Lee the operations manager and Jan -- the General Manager with no fruition! I am being ignored now so im taking it higher. its been 6 months with no apology. They offered a night on a B&B basis, lesser value of what we initially booked but could not accommodate our chosen date. Not heard from them since after many more emails. The management attitude is worse than the room standards! DO NOT VISIT THIS HOTEL, no matter what the offer is. Even the leather sofa's in the bar are held together in Gaffer tape!

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank rachaelhaw
Reviewed June 26, 2011

We booked a champagne 2 night stay DBB for £160. The room was a deluxe, it was ok and clean. The dining room was very dated and not even 3*. The food was a buffet consisting of roast lamb a beef pie or fried fish the accomanying veg were grey looking mushy oeas large slices of leek and oven cooked chips or potatoes. Pudding was typical Makro style gateua. We exchanged our champagen for a red wine, had no choice in which one and we got a £7 Merlot. Only stayed one of our two nights.
Car park was £16.50 per night.
This hotel is ok for hen night parties who want central Nottingham and no food.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled as a couple