We booked out stay at the Britannia Nottingham as we were looking for a city centre hotel to attend an open day at the University which was reasonably priced and two nights available.
However, all the negative reviews about the hotel were correct if you were put on a lower floor, although, if you luck enough to be on a higher floor your experience might have been different. When we arrived, we definitely found the main receptionist and other main receptionists which followed very unwelcoming and uninterested in answering your questions. However, the other support staff did try to make the stay better. The first shock was the £10 per day parking charges. We hadn't anticipated this.
The main reception was fine and the bar clean but tired looking with repairs to the leather furniture. However, this is definitely not the big, big issue! We went to the 4th floor and first noticed that even at 3pm, the hallways were filthy, unvacuumed, with litter strewn around. This is a smoking hotel and as such, stinks of stale smoke almost everywhere. The smoking and non-smoking rooms are mixed together, so it smells regardless of which room you choose.
The room we were taken to was extremely small with just enough room to move your feet around between the chest and bed, but nothing else. The beds were very old, dirty and squeaked loudly when just sitting on them, making it impossible to sleep on. There was coffee spilled against the bed base, all over the carpet, the side table and in the drawers. How a cleaner could have missed this, I don't know.
I went to reception to ask to be moved to another room and a very nice young man did move us straight up to the 9th floor where it was a different picture altogether. The halls were clean, didn't smell, the room was larger, the beds newer and comfortable, and no smell of smoke as yet as the rooms around us were non-smoking. Having said that, there still some problems. The hotel caters for hen nights etc so we had a large group of loud guys slamming doors and being really loud until about 10pm on both nights. Although non-smoking, the smoke from smoking rooms was wafting it's way through the ventilation and into our bathroom so we had to keep our bathroom door shut. It is an old hotel, so the water pressure is negligible. although clean generally, there had obviously been some serious water damage behind the toilet, so the vinyl was badly damaged and gross looking. Something which could have been corrected.
This is our second stay at a Britania (we forgot about Stoke on Trent horrible experience!) and it was just as bad. There is not excuse for the above issues. It is not a 'budget hotel' and even so, budget is not synonymous with unclean, unfriendly, smelly, etc.
Breakfast was OK if you like cheap alternative products, like cardboard tasting cereal, juice, and very salty bacon, low quality sausages etc. However, there was plenty of it.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- This purpose built hotel is situated near to Nottingham Castle, Trent Bridge Cricket Ground, Victoria Shopping Centre and the Nottingham City business district, making it an ideal location for both business and pleasure. Nottingham is also renowned for its vibrant and popular nightlife and this hotel is a short walk to all the popular bars and cafes. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Agoda, Hotels.com, Travelocity, Hotwire, HotelQuickly, Orbitz, getaroom.com, Evoline ltd, Cancelon and TripOnline SA so you can book your The Britannia Nottingham Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Britannia Nottingham Hotel Nottingham
- Nottingham Britannia Hotel
- Britannia Hotel Nottingham