“Average”

Strathdon Hotel - Nottingham
Ranked #32 of 49 Hotels in Nottingham
“Average”
Reviewed December 15, 2012

Room was clean and tidy , most of hotel staff were polite and friendly except for the chef who was swearing his head off whilst cooking our meal and my wife had to tell him to curb his vulgar mouth! Food was not cooked right but the breakfast was better than the evening meal, therefore I would not stay or eat at the strathdon hotel ever again!!

• Stayed December 2012
1 Thank Dawnovnotts
StrathdonGM, General Manager at Strathdon Hotel - Nottingham, responded to this review, December 19, 2012
Thank you for your review of the Strathdon Hotel after your recent stay with.

Firstly, I am extremely grateful for your comments regarding the cleanliness of our rooms, and for the most part the politeness and friendliness of our staff.

Secondly, I am appalled and extremely sorry that you heard such vulgarities coming from the mouth of one of my chefs, such behaviour will not be tolerated in the Strathdon Hotel, where we pride ourselves on our great customer service. Needless to say I will be investigating this matter thoroughly and the appropriate action will be taken with those involved. I must also apologise for not meeting your expectations with the food served to you during your stay. Again these are not the usually high standards we operate to, as most of our reviews compliment us on our quality and value for money.

Once again thank you for your comments, such feedback is invaluable to us as we strive to improve the service we offer to our valued guests.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (61)
  • Greek first
Reviewed October 27, 2012

Hello,
Me and my girlfriend have been returning to Nottingham for shopping trips regulary and have been staying at the Strathdon Hotel each time.
We would like to point out our last experience with a young blond guy at the reception. He stopped us in the evening when returning from dinner in Browns and was so rude that we will never stay there again! He shouted that we MUST leave the keys at the reception or we will be charged... We tried to explained that we prefer to keep them by ourselves.It is my responsibility if I loose the keys and pay for the loss, isnt it? The guy was very pushy and irritating. Due to this experience with that guy, we will stay in other hotels like Crowne plaza or Hilton next time. We run a hotel in Slovakia and customer service is the highest priority. It is definetely missing in Strathdon Nottingham. The breakfast is extra charged and very limited, not recommended. Rooms are shaby and cleaned not deeply. Location is suitable for shopping trip or nice weekend close to the city centre. It is a shame that personal spoiled our regular trip to Nottingham.

• Stayed October 2012
8 Thank ViktorSlovak
sheffield
Reviewed October 21, 2012

We paid for a £100 room there was no hot water, the television would not work, and the hall way stank of dope. We got moved to another room, that was on the internet at £57, it was so hot we had to open the window,the noise from aircon was loud and the windows was full of bird mess, the springs in the bed was coming through the mattress so it made it hard for us to sleep, and to top it off the fire alarm went off at 3.00am This should not be classed as a 3* hotel

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
4 Thank mynightsout61
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 30, 2012

It is exceedingly rare for me to write a bad review, but there were no redeeming features about this hotel, which seems to be positioning itself as a cheap bar destination, judging by the large notices on the street (and also by the excessive noise in the middle of the night).
It's external appearance suggests that it was a 70s build Post House, and the rooms seem to have not been touched since. OK the bed was very comfortable, and the bathroom clean, but the rest of the room was shabby, with chipped furniture. Good shampoo & bubble bath but one exceedingly small bar of soap (Travelodge size at the most).
Registration was 'interesting', though check out was quick. We didn't eat in the restaurant, but wondered whether the fact that prunes were the only fruit available on the breakfast buffet was indicative of anything.
There are plenty of hotels nearby in Nottingham; shan't make this mistake again.

Room Tip: Away from the lift and as far away from stag nights etc as possible. Alternatively stay somewhere e...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
4 Thank global-traveller48
StrathdonGM, General Manager at Strathdon Hotel - Nottingham, responded to this review, October 3, 2012
Dear global-traveller48
Thank you most sincerely for posting your review of the hotel, your comments have been gratefully received as a way of helping me to drive up our standards of service and guests satisfaction.
In response to some of your comments though, it is true that the hotel has a public bar, however we are certainly not cheap, we are very competitive with the local market on our pricing. The bar has it’s own entrance from the hotel, so in essence does not interfere with the rest of the hotel. The signage you mention is there to promote that the bar offers food and also screens all live sport on it’s large screens. This is for the benefit of hotel guests and the public alike. As a business in the current economic climate I fail to see how advertising your premises is a bad thing.
As for your comments regarding the external appearance of the hotel, it was indeed built in 1969. I am pleased to hear you found our bedrooms comfortable and clean and we are always striving to improve our facilities, unfortunately this takes time to do all the areas of the hotel, but be rest assured we are committed to our ongoing progress in improving all areas of the hotel.
I am extremely sorry to hear that prunes were the only fruit available at breakfast, this is not the standard we operate to and I will be investigating this matter thoroughly. As you may have seen from other comments on this site our breakfast, lunch and dinner receive good reviews, as they are of high quality and value for money.
Leicester, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 13, 2012

I have stayed here a few times over the last year, clean, comfortable & with friendly staff. All the amenities I required as a single traveller. I was able to check in early when I asked to too.......... .

• Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
2 Thank steveandlouise262
Dear steveandlouise262
Thank you sincerely for your recent review of the hotel following your stay. I am most grateful for your very kind comments and an overall review that, I believe sums up what the hotel is all about, in terms of facilities, customer service and our value for money.
All of our guest comments are fed back to the team at the Strathdon Hotel, so that we can strive to further improve our service facilities for future guests.

Thank you once again for your comments and the time you took in completing your review.

I hope to have the pleasure in welcoming you back to the hotel again very soon.
Northwich, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 4, 2012

The hotel was adequate for sleeping in and the bar menu was standard fare at reasonable prices but the whole hotel felt like it could do with some TLC. The staff were friendly on reception and pleasant at breakfast but there was a lack of atmosphere.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank JTofCheshire
Dear JTofCheshire,
Thank you most sincerely for posting your review; your comments have been gratefully received as a way of helping me to drive up our standards of service and guests satisfaction. I would also like to thank you for your praise in my team, I will pass on your comments to those involved.
I appreciate your comments regarding the atmosphere, unfortunately August was a quieter month for us due to the Olympics and the summer holidays. Obviously the busier we are the more atmosphere is generated. With regard to your comment that the hotel needs some “TLC”, we are always striving to improve our facilities, unfortunately this takes time to do all the areas of the hotel, but be rest assured we are committed to our ongoing progress in improving all areas of the hotel.
Birmingham, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 4, 2012

Stayed at the hotel as part of a Wowcher and got a room, nothing like the one advertised, which is available for a £20 upgrade charge. Bed is a 4 foot mini-double, great for compulsory romance but little else!
Curry in the bar still had cling film in it and watch them on reception as I nearly got short changed.
Room are really hot, heating is on without any control and the only option is to open a window onto a busy road, so no sleep or alternatively your can slowly roast.
Would not stay again!

Room Tip: Go somewhere else
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
5 Thank Daniel G
StrathdonGM, General Manager at Strathdon Hotel - Nottingham, responded to this review, August 6, 2012
Dear Daniel G

Thank you most sincerely for posting your review; your comments have been gratefully received as a way of helping me to drive up our standards of service and guests satisfaction. I would like to apologise to you for the clear deficiencies in service standards.

I am sorry that on this occasion the room you were allocated had not met your expectations in terms of size and was hot due to a problem with the heating in the room. I have asked the hotel maintenance engineer to look at why the heating was on, on that particular day and report back to me. I am very sorry that you were not offered alternative accommodation for free if it was available, a situation that is not acceptable to me and I have taken up this issue with the Management on Duty during your stay.

I must also apologise for the standard of your curry. This is totally unacceptable, and I have discussed this with the head chef who is also appalled. However your comments regarding ‘watch them on reception’, I take offence to. My team are extremely honest and professional, I appreciate there may have been an error on their part but I can assure that this would not have been deliberate.

It is only with constant review following guest feedback that we can improve our performance and I have gained a considerable amount of positive from your review, for which I thank you.