“Oh dear!”

Ranked #32 of 49 Hotels in Nottingham
London, United Kingdom
“Oh dear!”
Reviewed September 30, 2012

It is exceedingly rare for me to write a bad review, but there were no redeeming features about this hotel, which seems to be positioning itself as a cheap bar destination, judging by the large notices on the street (and also by the excessive noise in the middle of the night).
It's external appearance suggests that it was a 70s build Post House, and the rooms seem to have not been touched since. OK the bed was very comfortable, and the bathroom clean, but the rest of the room was shabby, with chipped furniture. Good shampoo & bubble bath but one exceedingly small bar of soap (Travelodge size at the most).
Registration was 'interesting', though check out was quick. We didn't eat in the restaurant, but wondered whether the fact that prunes were the only fruit available on the breakfast buffet was indicative of anything.
There are plenty of hotels nearby in Nottingham; shan't make this mistake again.

Room Tip: Away from the lift and as far away from stag nights etc as possible. Alternatively stay somewhere e...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
4 Thank global-traveller48
StrathdonGM, General Manager at Strathdon Hotel - Nottingham, responded to this review, October 3, 2012
Dear global-traveller48
Thank you most sincerely for posting your review of the hotel, your comments have been gratefully received as a way of helping me to drive up our standards of service and guests satisfaction.
In response to some of your comments though, it is true that the hotel has a public bar, however we are certainly not cheap, we are very competitive with the local market on our pricing. The bar has it’s own entrance from the hotel, so in essence does not interfere with the rest of the hotel. The signage you mention is there to promote that the bar offers food and also screens all live sport on it’s large screens. This is for the benefit of hotel guests and the public alike. As a business in the current economic climate I fail to see how advertising your premises is a bad thing.
As for your comments regarding the external appearance of the hotel, it was indeed built in 1969. I am pleased to hear you found our bedrooms comfortable and clean and we are always striving to improve our facilities, unfortunately this takes time to do all the areas of the hotel, but be rest assured we are committed to our ongoing progress in improving all areas of the hotel.
I am extremely sorry to hear that prunes were the only fruit available at breakfast, this is not the standard we operate to and I will be investigating this matter thoroughly. As you may have seen from other comments on this site our breakfast, lunch and dinner receive good reviews, as they are of high quality and value for money.
Simon Jordison

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (61)
  • Greek first
Leicester, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 13, 2012

I have stayed here a few times over the last year, clean, comfortable & with friendly staff. All the amenities I required as a single traveller. I was able to check in early when I asked to too.......... .

• Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
2 Thank steveandlouise262
Dear steveandlouise262
Thank you sincerely for your recent review of the hotel following your stay. I am most grateful for your very kind comments and an overall review that, I believe sums up what the hotel is all about, in terms of facilities, customer service and our value for money.
All of our guest comments are fed back to the team at the Strathdon Hotel, so that we can strive to further improve our service facilities for future guests.

Thank you once again for your comments and the time you took in completing your review.

I hope to have the pleasure in welcoming you back to the hotel again very soon.
Northwich, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 4, 2012

The hotel was adequate for sleeping in and the bar menu was standard fare at reasonable prices but the whole hotel felt like it could do with some TLC. The staff were friendly on reception and pleasant at breakfast but there was a lack of atmosphere.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank JTofCheshire
Dear JTofCheshire,
Thank you most sincerely for posting your review; your comments have been gratefully received as a way of helping me to drive up our standards of service and guests satisfaction. I would also like to thank you for your praise in my team, I will pass on your comments to those involved.
I appreciate your comments regarding the atmosphere, unfortunately August was a quieter month for us due to the Olympics and the summer holidays. Obviously the busier we are the more atmosphere is generated. With regard to your comment that the hotel needs some “TLC”, we are always striving to improve our facilities, unfortunately this takes time to do all the areas of the hotel, but be rest assured we are committed to our ongoing progress in improving all areas of the hotel.
Birmingham, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 4, 2012

Stayed at the hotel as part of a Wowcher and got a room, nothing like the one advertised, which is available for a £20 upgrade charge. Bed is a 4 foot mini-double, great for compulsory romance but little else!
Curry in the bar still had cling film in it and watch them on reception as I nearly got short changed.
Room are really hot, heating is on without any control and the only option is to open a window onto a busy road, so no sleep or alternatively your can slowly roast.
Would not stay again!

Room Tip: Go somewhere else
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
5 Thank Daniel G
StrathdonGM, General Manager at Strathdon Hotel - Nottingham, responded to this review, August 6, 2012
Dear Daniel G

Thank you most sincerely for posting your review; your comments have been gratefully received as a way of helping me to drive up our standards of service and guests satisfaction. I would like to apologise to you for the clear deficiencies in service standards.

I am sorry that on this occasion the room you were allocated had not met your expectations in terms of size and was hot due to a problem with the heating in the room. I have asked the hotel maintenance engineer to look at why the heating was on, on that particular day and report back to me. I am very sorry that you were not offered alternative accommodation for free if it was available, a situation that is not acceptable to me and I have taken up this issue with the Management on Duty during your stay.

I must also apologise for the standard of your curry. This is totally unacceptable, and I have discussed this with the head chef who is also appalled. However your comments regarding ‘watch them on reception’, I take offence to. My team are extremely honest and professional, I appreciate there may have been an error on their part but I can assure that this would not have been deliberate.

It is only with constant review following guest feedback that we can improve our performance and I have gained a considerable amount of positive from your review, for which I thank you.

Simon Jordison

Travelers are raving about these Nottingham hotels

Wellingborough, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 30, 2012

I have had the worst experience with this hotel than any other I have ever stayed in. The main reason being their refusal to reimburse me for a room I cancelled a week before. The management will go to any lengths to not refund a room including implying that the customer is lying and then refusing to speak to the customer when they contact the hotel.
I had booked 2 twin rooms, and once in our rooms we found we had 2 double rooms which was no good as none of my friends wanted to saty together in a smaller than average double bed - understandably.
Before I had even checked in, 3 people came to complain about their room. One had a TV that didn't work, another came down who had been given his room key only to open the door and find people already in there! And a couple who said their room looked nothing like the picture on the website, which I entirely agree with. The rooms were ridiculously small and hot! The heating was on constantly, which I don't think was required in mid-July??
I found the Reception Manager to be unprofessional. I was travelling with a group of 30-something friends and I found him to be 'over-familiar' to say the least. I would not recommend anyone to stay in this hotel.
On the plus side?? Close to the centre.
I fail to see how the hotel has earned its 3 star rating? Extremely disappointing.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
4 Thank Catherine H
York, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 30, 2012

We arrived at the hotel, not really blown away be the exterior but the foyer/reception was nice enough. The recepectionist was.... obviously tired of her job.. but not rude. She gave me my keys and told me i had to pay a £20 deposit which I think should really be mentioned when you book. Then she changed her mind and said the card isnt charged but is held for 5 days. either way i had £20 less that evening. I do think this should be mentioned.
Then i had to ask all the questions you get told usually, when breakfast was, where my room was, if there were curfews. i may as well have told myself to have a plesant stay. then she told me that you have to leave your key with reception everytime you leave the hotel! I didnt have an initial problem with this.. but will explain later.
The room we got given for two, was tiny. Really small and only had one bed, which was a small double. So i rang down to reception and they were actually really helpful and polite and efficently moved our room to a twin. They said that room is because we were on wowcher but as they werent full could move at no extra cost. Our second room was fine, much larger. Two single beds, larger bathroom. No complaints... yet. The toilet seat came totally off and this was not something we had done, you could see it had been previously broken. We honestly couldnt be bothered to complain, we just took it off and kept it off. we let management know though so they wouldnt charge us but they would have happily moved us again or maybe reimbursed us but we didnt want to cause more fuss as we had already moved once.
The room was unbearably hot. It was hot outside and obviously the hotel have no control over this. we rang down and they brought us a standing fan which definatley helped. Unfortunatley, the bathroom radiator/towel warmer could not be switched off by us and the hotel refused to do it for us so the fan was really just blowing hot air about. it was really unpleasant. So sticky and sweaty. We were getting ready for a night out and our make up was half off before we even left the room! haha.

We had something to eat in bar 44 and this was the more positive thing about the hotel. The portions were decent and the prices were great. and it was delicious. we had a sandwhich and some nachos! tasty. the drinks were cheap too. there was quite a nice atmosphere in the bar, a few stag groups were drinking and the staff were all very friendly and happy. The reception manager actually got talking to us and ending up giving us a map and some free tickets to gatecrasher club which was ace for us! Really friendly guy.

So when we left the hotel we had to drop our keys off at reception and leave them and when we got in from our night out you just knock on the door, they open it and ask your for your room number. after a few drinks, we didnt even know if we were asking for the right number keys! and there was no confirmation or verifying. We could have, hypothetically, accidently or even purposefully asked for a different room and if the keys were there.. ended up in their room. I am sure this never happens but it didnt make me feel very secure about leaving my stuff in the room.

Breakfast was really good value aswell. Lots of choice and plenty of it. Hot food, cold food, fresh fruit, crossants, cereal, hot drinks, cold drinks. Even a selection of herbal teas! Again, waiters and staff all really friendly and seemed happy to serve us/answer any questions.

This is a good hotel for a night out, stag does and hens especially. Good value for money and absolutely great location - can walk to and from night out in less than 10mins. But wouldnt have been happy to stay longer than one night and if it got any hotter I may have melted!

Room Tip: Ask for a fan!
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank Yorkshirewanders
Rainham, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 27, 2012

We've returned today from The Strathdon, my husband and I had a great time, the hotel was the hotel of choice with our David Urqhuart travel holiday break. We arrived to find the hotel looked good from the outside, had a warm welcome from the staff. Inside the hotel is clean and modern compared to most of the hotels we've experienced on the David Urqhuart breaks....
Our room was on the smallish side but adequate for what we wanted. Had trouser press, ,intergrated dvd player/SKY tv with film channels, which was great as we could just curl up and watch a movie after a day out if we didnt fancy a busy night in the bar. Coffee/tea making facilities, hair dryer, ironing board and iron.. The location was a 5 minute walk from the shops and bars.......however it was on a ring road and could be noisy at times, obviously not the hotels fault. There was free use of computer in the foyer which was handy. The staff were helpful and friendly. Good choice of drinks from the bars, average prices, £3.90 for a Bulmers cider, £3.50 for a smirnoff ice £1.95 for a diet coke.... A huge plus point was the food, having stayed in many 'budget' hotels with coach trips, We found the food was gorgeous, beautifully presented and nice and hot. Breakfast was self service with a good choice of fruit, cereals and cooked breakfast.
The only downsides for us, was the HEAT of the hotel, our room was unbearably hot, ok it was a heatwave, but there was no air circulating especially on the upper floors. We were told that air conditioning would be fixed the next day (tuesday) but it hadnt been fixed by the friday when we left, a fan was provided for the dining room, but with a coach load of some 50-60 people this didnt help, no windows were opened either. Everyone commented...and now reading some of the trip advisor reports I see this has been a problem in the past, even when there isnt a heatwave.....it really needs air conditioning.....i appreciate its expensive to run, but would be worth having.
The other thing we found a nuisance was the EXTRACTOR FAN for the kitchens.....its came on around 6.30am and then went off later in the morning, then was switched on at around 5pm until 10.30pm our room was next to the fan, and it doesnt sound much to comment on, but try having 10 hairdryers in your bedroom, continuously droning on.....that was what it sounded like....as i say it was unpleasant and a bit a nuisance being woken up by it, but didnt dampen our spirits......
All in all the hotel was great id score 8.5/10

Room Tip: Room 213 was small and right next to the extractor fan........
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple