Mercure Nottingham City Centre Hotel
$76
$86
$79
  • Restaurant
Ibis Nottingham Centre(Nottingham)(Great Value!)
$53
ibis
Jurys Inn Nottingham(Nottingham)(Great Value!)
$73
Agoda.com
$58
$56
Priceline
Best Western Plus Nottingham City Centre(Nottingham)(Great Value!)
$51
$79
$76
Orbitz.com
  • Breakfast included
Premier Inn Nottingham West Hotel(Nottingham)(Great Value!)
$69
PremierInn.com
The Walton Hotel(Nottingham)
TripAdvisor
1,164 results
All reviewscity padprivilege roomcomplimentary soft drinkscity centrelace market car parkfletcher gatenespresso machinebars and restaurantslovely hotelnoise from the streetair conhotel barcapital fm arenaone way systemmulti storeygreat central locationsaturday night
FilterAll languages
Reviewed November 14, 2011

Jooloos and I stayed at the Mercure in mid November, a two night tay over the weekend whilst visiting our Nora at Uni. We have previously stayed elsewhere in Nottingham but we were not bowled-over and so the newly refurbished Mercure looked an interesting find.

First the good. Very nicely decorated in the public areas and rooms and all-new so no problems with tired looking finishes. Staircase beautiful and best to skip the lift and enjoy it if you are able. Breakfast was very good (wasn't expecting that) and the staff were attentive, friendly and helpful in the breakfast room. The location is very central (perhaps too central). Rooms well presented and spotlessly clean thanks to hard working staff. Very good choice of restaurants on your doorstep.
Tarrif good value.

The bad. Front desk staff a little vague and not so welcoming. Car park at Fletcher Gate a good distance away and staff (at the desk) not too sure how the parking discount worked, fortunately the guy at the car park office was very helpful. The room (406) was on the small side as others have noted and the window was tiny and of an old-fashioned opening top-light design that jarred with the otherwise contemporary design of the room. The location does get noisy at night, only falling silent at about 3.00am but that's the price you pay for a super-handy location.

The Ugly. Right, all of this can be seen-to relatively easily and by next weekend if someone has the will to do it. There was no information, at all, in the room. I asked at the desk about Wifi and the (three) girls all looked at us as if we had asked for instructions on how to conjour the devil. At low-rent guesthouses in the sixties it was not uncommon for the landlady to ask for a shilling to use the hot water. When will all hotels realise that by charging extra for internet access you may as well charge for the use of hot water or towels? I was told that it was £7 for two hours access - stuck to 3G on the iphone instead.
Others have mentioned the crazy, mind-of-its-own, energy saving bathroom light that plunges you into darkness the minute you stop moving. Jooloos was forced to sit on the toilet and do a windmill impression at each visit. Sparky needs to get in there and disable this infuriating function asap. This one thing alone would stop me coming back - it doesn't sound that bad but, you too, will go crazy after 24hours with this save the planet lighting feature.
The supplied toiletries were of poor quality (I know, what do you expect - Yves St Laurent?) but they were just a little too near the perfumed industrial cleaner end of the scale.

On the whole, though, the Mercure grew on us, its a good option for a stay in the fabulous City of Nottingham and we will be back, maybe with a torch!

Room Tip: Don't hold me to this as we only stayed in the one room but if I were to book another room at the Mercure, I would try level 3 or 2, perhaps. It will be noisier than 4 but the windows at level 4 are horrid and make the rooms seem very small. I would be interested to hear from a level 3-dweller to see how they got on.
  • Stayed: November 2011, traveled with friends
2  Thank Jooloosgoesnorth
Linforth, General Manager at Mercure Nottingham City Centre Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded January 30, 2013

Dear Guest,
Thank you for choosing the Mercure Hotel Nottingham and writing a review.
We do hope that you consider using our hotel again next time you are visiting Nottingham City Center.
Kind regards
Malcolm Linforth-Jones
Group Operations Director

Reviewed November 14, 2011

Only stayed for 1 night but the standard room was of a decent size, very comfortable bed and good sized bathroom. Rooms were very clean and well kept. The only thing I would say is that the toiletries in the room could be of a better quality. Staff were all very friendly. Breakfast was really good with hot and cold buffet, pastries, meats, cheeses, cereals, yogurt, fruit juices, and the hot selection had sausage, tomatoes, bacon, eggs, mushrooms, hash browns etc. They also had a further selection of eggs benedict and kippers that could also be ordered. Overall a good stay and only £99 for a double room including breakfast.

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled with friends

Dear Guest,
Thank you for choosing the Mercure Hotel Nottingham and writing a review.
Kind regards
Malcolm Linforth-Jones
Group Operations Director

Reviewed November 12, 2011

good location, very clean and great staff.
We booked a basic room bed and breakfast, however when we went in the room it was tiny and there wasn't enough room to walk round the bed due to the desk chair being in the way and the indow was small and 2m high (room 410). I spoke to reception and they showed me the floor plan and told me that there were smaller rooms than mine.
We were upgraded for which i am grateful to the reception staff but in the upgraded room i had to take care not to hit the TV when i walked around the bottom of the bed. dissapointing that the fire alarm went off at breakfast time (teething troubles)

On the positive side, the bar and breakfast are great, the staff are very good. I have met some of them before at another Nottingham hotel nearby. The lcation is very good and everything is brand new

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled as a couple
Barry_Winter_GM, General Manager at Mercure Nottingham City Centre Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded November 13, 2011

Thank you for taking the time to share your comments, I am pleased to read that, in the most part, enjoyed your stay with us. We do have the pleasure and challenge of managing a hotel with a large range of room types ranging from Singles to Suites. With all bedrooms being completely different we are sure to be able to find a room to suit most requirements and budgets. I trust our team will have noted your room preference for future stays with us. Please feel free to contact me personally to check this for your next booking with is.

A TripAdvisor Member
Reading, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 9, 2011

My first impression of the hotel was that it is really well turned out. Decor in both the lobby and rooms is of a very high standard; I particularly liked the staircase. Check in was smooth & quick. Room was exceptionally clean, but I felt it was on the small side for the price and for an executive room, especially the bathroom. Location is convenient and very bustling at night; if you don't mind a 10 minute walk, you can easily get to spots such as Ye Olde Trip or Rock City. Bed is of superior quality; extremely comfortable and excellent nights sleep. Overall, a nice, well finished, clean hotel. Should I find myself in Nottingham again, I would stay here at the right price.

1  Thank A TripAdvisor Member

So pleased to hear you enjoyed your stay with us, I have to say that of all the original features in the hotel the staircase has to be the crowning glory, It is magnificent! I trust we will have the pleasure in welcoming you back to the hotel in the near future.

Reviewed November 8, 2011

We stayed here for one night on a Saturday when attending a concert at the nearby Arena - it's in a great location - literally less than 5 mins walk away which is fantastic. Really convenient and highly recommended if you're visiting the city for that reason. We got a superior king size room at a great value price by booking direct with the hotel - they appeared to offer the best prices even when looking at other booking sites.

The hotel itself is located on a street that was very busy on the Saturday evening that we were there and whilst there were no problems at all, just rowdy folk on a night out, those with a delicate disposition may feel happier staying there with this knowledge before they book.

Recently renovated, the hotel appears modern, stylish and welcoming and as others have noted looks good. We asked for extra pillows when booking and these were duly in the room - it's always pleasing when a hotel acts upon the notes section of a booking request.

However I'm afraid that some of the other comments also rang true during our visit. Here's a list of a few issues we encountered:

1. We paid extra for a king size bed - it was two doubles pushed together. Not good enough.

2. The bathroom light as previously mentioned was irritating and nowhere near as clever as it thought it was!

3. There was a 'present' ahem... floating in the toilet when we entered the room. Not good enough.

4. The choice at breakfast was, on paper, fine, in reality, the quality wasn't great and the array of items available from the cold buffet was poor.

5. The staff at breakfast were flustered, constantly rushing - yet slow despite the fact that there were only 3 or 4 other couples eating at breakfast. Odd.

6. We wanted room service at around 11.30pm and there was no menu in the room, the wait for a replacement to be sent to us hit 15 mins and needed two phone calls. Not good enough.

7. The price of the room service was ok - a warm toasted cheese sandwich for c£6.00 is acceptable in my opinion, however when the food arrived, it wasn't quite what we ordered, took a further c30 mins to deliver and the quality was distinctly average.

Meanwhile, checkout was quick, the staff were pleasant and helpful at all times and they couldn't be faulted for their smiley faces. We had a room on the fourth floor and weren't disturbed by street noise at all.

Overall, it was an acceptable stay in a nice hotel in a good location but would I return? Would I recommend it to others? Probably not - I'd hope that a vibrant city like Nottingham would have better accommodation options.

Room Tip: Aim for a room on a high floor for a quiet nights sleep. If you're driving, call the hotel in advance for the correct postcode as the one listed on the Mercure Nottingham website is right for the hotel but due to the one-way system, it is difficult to get to the discounted car park from this address.
1  Thank danieltjames

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback with us, I am dissappointed to hear that you have experienced a number of issues that have marred your stay with us. I would welcome the opportunity to discuss these issues in person, please feel free to contact me on 0115 959 9777 if you would like to do so. Having only recently opened the hotel is certainly seems that we have some training issues that we will be dealing with.

Thank you once again for your feedback which is invaluable in order for us to improve our services.