“Check out the restaurant”

Holiday Inn Nottingham
Ranked #19 of 41 Hotels in Nottingham
Reviewed March 11, 2014

Stayed at the Nottingham Holiday Inn the weekend of the 1st March 2014 to visit my daughter who is at university. Chose it because it had a parking (unlike the city centre hotels) and was only a 15 minute walk from the centre. This is either a new hotel or has been recently refurbished, as the decor was of a high standard and better than you usually expect from a Holiday Inn. Receptionist Tracy was very welcoming and couldn't do enough to help, we felt valued by her and all the staff we came into contact with. Room was clean, well presented and very comfortable, often hotel beds wreck my back.

The real treat for me was the restaurant, despite everything on offer in the city, on the second night we thought we would just stay in for a couple of drinks and a meal. I was expecting standard hotel fayre, but was pleasantly surprise by the presentation, quality and price, three courses for £16.95. They clearly have a chef who cares about his food, give it a try!!!

Didn't have breakfast as price seemed a bit steep (but comparable to other hotels), especially as you can walk across the road to Sainsbury's coffee shop!

So a good weekend all round, we will be looking forward to staying there next time we visit my daughter. Thanks to all the staff.

............and the other thing I like is that the manager responds to every posting good or bad, well done to him!!!

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple
Paul B, General Manager at Holiday Inn Nottingham, responded to this reviewResponded March 21, 2014

Dear Brian W,

Thank you for your 5 star review. We have really focused on developing the team and providing them with the right tools to deliver great service and I’m happy that this has come across during your recent stay. We are currently in the process of refurbishing our public areas, gym and restaurant and I’m glad you like what we’ve done so far.
I must say that our Head Chef is delighted by your feedback. He prides himself on producing quality dishes cooked from fresh ingredients prepared in house. I will ensure that your feedback is passed on to all of the team.
We look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Reviewed March 3, 2014

We asked for an early check-in (1pm) as we were due at a wedding ceremony at 3pm and, upon arrival we were able to do so and we had plenty of time to change We had 4 rooms reserved under different names and were dealt with very quickly. The room was very clean and comfortable and we had a very quiet and peaceful night. Breakfast was very good and efficiently served. Would recommend.

Stayed: March 2014, traveled with family
Paul B, General Manager at Holiday Inn Nottingham, responded to this reviewResponded March 7, 2014

Dear CASTORIANS,

Thank you for your fantastic review. I’m glad you found our check-in process quick and efficient. Even though we cannot guarantee an early check-in we always try to accommodate every request and I’m glad this was the case during your recent visit. I will ensure that your comments are passed on to all of the team.

Reviewed February 23, 2014

On the plus side:
we were checked in at noon by a friendly receptionist, two hours before normal;
the car-parking is free;
the hotel is handy for the city centre by pleasant walk - about 20 minutes - along canal path beneath the castle.

On the minus side:
I asked for a quiet, twin room but the room we were given - 219 - was neither a twin nor quiet; a small double with a constant deep droning sound all night. I asked receptionist about this noise the next morning, and he couldn't explain it; I assume it was air-conditioning or boiler or lift, or all three. But it was non-stop and disruptive. Sleep very patchy!

Room Tip: Certainly not room 219!
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank BarryHaynes
Paul B, General Manager at Holiday Inn Nottingham, responded to this reviewResponded February 27, 2014

Dear BarryHaynes,

Thank you for your review following your recent stay. Your review plays a vital role in assisting us to improve our quality and our service levels. I’m glad we were able to provide you with an early check-in and that you found our reception team welcoming. I have forwarded your comments onto our maintenance team for further investigation. Please accept my sincerest apologies for the inconvenience caused by the above issue as our primary aim is to ensure that all of our guests have a comfortable, uninterrupted nights sleep.

Reviewed February 12, 2014

My family stayed for one night as we had a university interview. Good location to the university just a five minute drive and a short drive to the town centre. Hotel room, beds comfy, carpet a bit grubby, bath plug very black ( for some reason ) , good sized t.v., iron, ironing board and hair dryer so well catered for. The evening menu very good although there are various pizza places over the road from the hotel. Breakfast was a buffet style with a hot and cold variety, a little disappointed as there was only flora margarine for your toast and no butter ! theirs nothing nicer than butter on hot toast in the morning ( in my opinion ) if your not into a full English.

Also, the hotel offers free wifi but this is only available in the lobby area and not in your room, disappointing. Staff helpful and friendly. Room service fast and efficient.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled on business
Paul B, General Manager at Holiday Inn Nottingham, responded to this reviewResponded February 13, 2014

Dear D W,

Thank you for taking the time to communicate your recent experience. I’m glad you had an enjoyable stay with us and that you felt well looked after by the team. I have passed you comments on to the relevant departments and our food and beverage manager will be investigating why there was no butter available during breakfast as real butter is included in our current breakfast offering.

Reviewed February 11, 2014

Stayed here last year and was noisy then but the service was good and they placed me in a quieter room.

This time placed by the lift with noise from the lift mechanism all through the night plus the party revellers who like to run u and down the corridor at 3.40 am! it appears that concierge do not request quiet on return from the clubs.

Breakfast was from 8.00 Saturday and Sunday which does not suit if you are working, was a offered a breakfast bag and agree for it to be delivered Saturday 07.30 - never arrived reported to reception on way out to find they had it - pointless!

Apart from the restaurant the staff were not as friendly this time as last and almost rude at times.

No recognition hardly for IHG membership and had to request internet access. Not normal for IHG group hotels.

Room was booked as double and two 2ft singles make a 3/4 bed in my book glad i was alone and wife did not join me! there was no room.

Not recommended for a weekend unless partying with the youth who have no consideration for others!

little and disturbed sleep made me grumpy!

Room Tip: rooms ending in 01, 02, 03, 05 &15 on each floor are by the lift and can be noisy from the lift...
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled on business

Dear Rob H,

Thank you for your feedback. Please accept my sincerest apologies for the issues you encountered during your recent stay. We have a system in place to reduce the noise caused by guests returning from a night out. We do proactively try to reduce the noise levels during the night, however unfortunately some guest do not always respect our policy. Following your feedback we are amending our breakfast opening times to 7.30am – 10.30am at weekends which we hope will be more convenient for guests who working at weekends.
I must say that I am surprised that you found some of the team to be not as friendly as your previous visit, customer service is very important to me and is something that we invest in regularly. I will certainly address this issue with the relevant departments. I appreciate that we cannot make up for the situations you encountered at the Holiday Inn Nottingham, however, I truly hope that our response will go some way to restore your faith in the hotel as a whole.
Once again, thank you for taking the time to bring this matter to our attention and hope to be of service to you in the future.

Reviewed February 7, 2014

My wife & I stayed at the Holiday Inn Castle Marina for the 3rd time recently to come & watch the incredible Del Amitri in concert. We arrived in the early afternoon & were processed in a somewhat laboured fashion, by a rather impassive middle aged female receptionist (hence only the 4 star rating)! We had also brought 4 guests with us on this occasion, all of which commented & complimented highly on their temporary surrounds. On arriving in our room, as pre-booked, we found a well appointed twin double which was lovely & warm room with a welcoming decor. We were only in our rooms for a few minutes as we had planned an afternoon in Nottingham city centre for few pre-gig refreshments! The bad weather did nothing to dampen our spirits & on returning to the hotel for a quick freshening up before our main event, our pre-order taxi was awaiting us. On our return in the evening (23:30) we found the hotel bar desserted which allowed us to enjoy a nightcap or 3 as we discussed what was possibly the best show that Del Amitri could have offered us, amazing! The next morning, after a broken nights sleep due to some late revellers at 05:30, we went down for breakfast. A lovely assortment of cereals, fruits, yoghurts, juices, etc. followed by a self service full english, just what the doctor ordered & the icing on what had been an extremely satisfying cake! My wife did get a bit star struck at breakfast when the magician Paul Daniels & his wife Debbie appeared for breakfast. They had obviously stayed at the hotel on that evening en-route to Paul's next venue as part of his farewell tour! Check out was swift & painless & we went on our merry way knowing that the Holiday Inn Castle Marina Nottingham WILL be guesting us again whenever we return to the wonderful city of Nottingham in the future! Thanks again!

Room Tip: If you want some extra bed space, book a twin double, well worth it!
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled with friends

Dear EdzLewis34,

I’m glad you and your wife had an enjoyable time at the concert and thank you for writing such a detailed and complimentary review. We really focus on developing our team and providing them with the right tools to deliver great service and I’m really happy this has come across during your recent stay. I will ensure that your feedback is passed on to all of the staff.
We look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Reviewed February 1, 2014

I stayed at Holiday Inn Nottingham castle marina a couple of night on business. Check in and check out was swift and professional. Room was the standard holiday inn affair, with the added bonus of some wonderful thick blackout curtains.

Service was polite.

Wifi is at an extra cost in the room, which I would have expected to be included in a hotel of this type. I didn't need to use it as I was on a 3g package.

There is free wifi in the small lobby (reception area) but it the signal was poor.

Breakfast was sufficient (if not a little steep for the choice). I found the greasy breakfast side of the breakfast room a bit too greasy for my liking, but the continental breakfast at the far end was very nice. I had to ask for my coffee twice the first day but it was very quick after that. I found the breakfast staff to be very efficient and flexible, with the option for a 'takeaway' continental breakfast which was perfect for me on the day of departure.

The hotel helps with organising taxis to the nearby conference centre (about £8-£12 each way depending on traffic) and train station.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled on business

Dear lia-p,

Thank you for your feedback following your recent stay. I’m glad you found check-in and check-out efficient and professionally. We’ve spent a lot of time focusing on guest experience and I’m glad we are starting to see the results. Please accept my sincerest apologies for the poor WiFi signal in the reception lobby, we have recently upgraded our internet system and on the whole we have seen a great improvement, I will certainly contact our internet supplier and inform them of your recent experience. I’m really happy you felt well looked after and ultimately had an enjoyable stay with us. We look forward to welcoming you back soon.