“Very few faults, but little personality.”

Holiday Inn Nottingham
Ranked #16 of 49 Hotels in Nottingham
Oxford
“Very few faults, but little personality.”
Reviewed July 28, 2013

We have just returned from a three night stay at the Holiday Inn. Check in was fast and efficient. We were taken by surprise that an immediate payment of £75 'in case you use room service' is taken from a debit or credit card and refunded on check out if you haven't had anything charged to your room. A good way of the hotel earning interest me thinks, if they do this to every guest. Our room was on the ground floor and was large and clean. A fan had been thoughtfully provided, but this may have been to mask the fact that the climate control did not work at all. The restaurant menu looked nice but we didn't eat in the hotel. We had a drink in the hotel bar one night and only just managed to get served, as after 11pm drinks can only be served in your room, presumably adding a charge onto this? There was ample parking and the hotel is in a nice location. As other reviewers stated, it really is a pleasant fifteen minute stroll into the city centre along the canal side. We booked room only and it was a good option as on both sides of the hotel are a Harvester and a Beefeater both serving very good value breakfast deals, also a McDonalds and a Costa Coffee a few minutes walk away. At the end of the road when you get to the canal there is a Hungry Horse so you really are spolit for choice!
Nottingham is a great City with very lively nightlife. We live in a City Centre and really appreciated being out of it for a while. We'd walk into the City and a cab back cost just over £4.00. As you leave the canal at the lock, there is a pub called the Navigation, it plays host to some good live music and Annies Burger Shack, where we probably had one of the best burgers ever!

Room Tip: With poor / non-existent climate control ask for a room at the back of the hotel as our room was sha...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Paul B, General Manager at Holiday Inn Nottingham, responded to this review, August 2, 2013
Dear Carly B,

Thank you for your kind comments following your recent stay with us. We have been having a few issues with our air handling system in our standard rooms. We are currently having a brand new system installed to resolve the situation and I apologise for any inconvenience caused during your stay. I agree that our location is perfect for both families and corporate guests with the wide variety of food & shopping outlets nearby as well as our close proximity to the city centre. I will ensure that your feedback is passed on to all of the staff.

Paul Bentham

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (104)
  • Greek first
Cardiff, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 23, 2013

Check-in was efficient and we had an executive room upgrade at no charge. The 2nd room had twin double beds. The in-room entertainment worked perfectly and the TV was up to date with all channels working, incl Sky channels. Decor and furnishings throughout the hotel were fresh and at a high standard. The restaurant was excellent and reasonably priced.

Room Tip: Ask for a room overlooking the car park, not the main road.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank robw77
Paul B, General Manager at Holiday Inn Nottingham, responded to this review, July 26, 2013
Dear robw77,

Can I thank you on behalf of the whole hotel for taking time out of your day to write such a great review. We are currently updating and modernising various areas/departments across the hotel and I’m glad you enjoyed some of these changes. I will ensure that your feedback is passed on to all of the staff.

Grimsby, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 19, 2013

We stayed at this hotel on july 6th as we were seeing mrs browns boys at the capital arena, we only booked 2 weeks before, we arrived to a gorgeous lobby on a very hot weekend and the staff was lovely very friendley and helpfull and checked in good no problems at all, we were pointed into the direction of our room and noticed it was an executive room, very pleased as we booked a double room so a massive thank you holiday inn for upgrading us,
The room was imaculate and very spacious with a mini fridge, fantastic tv, the bed well was so comfortable i did sleep right through which i dont often, really impressed with that, the decor was very modern and weve only stayed in one other holiday inn but we will be returning to them more often.
We eat out over the road at the quaint waters edge restaurant where the canal runs by absolutley lovely , specially as we were having the best weather so far this year but we went saturday evening and called back sunday when we left.
The staff and hotel made a fantastic nights stay and we will definatley be returning.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank baker061
Dear baker061,

Thank you very much for writing such an amazing review following your recent stay. We find it very comforting and rewarding to receive such great feedback and I will ensure that your comments are passed on to all of the staff. We will be launching our new restaurant and lounge menus shortly so hopefully we’ll be able to tempt you to eat with us next time you visit.
We look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Chillenden, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 18, 2013

I've used HI a lot and this is the best one I've been in. Hard to find a fault. Decor clean and modern, room was spacious, bathroom impeccable and the bed very comfortable. The location worked for my trip. Staff very friendly and helpful, delicious breakfast! Wifi works well and was free. I'll be staying there again on my next trip.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
Dear NewburyMike,

Thank you for superb review. I find it very reassuring to read that we are the best Holiday Inn Hotel you have ever visited. I will be sure to pass your comments on to the relevant departments. We are currently upgrading our internet service to offer faster speeds throughout the hotel so hopefully when you’re next with us you’ll enjoy this service even more.
I look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Chesterfield, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 7, 2013

Booked a nights stay at this hotel purely due to the hotel opposite being fully booked (previously stayed there before) and we were pleasantly surprised at the facilities this hotel had to offer.
On arrival at around 12.30pm on Saturday lunchtime we were able to check in straight away instead of waiting until 2pm.
The room was of a good, clean* and comfortable standard with air conditioning that worked which was needed as it was 27 degrees outside!
*Though I did have to ask housekeeping for a clean bathmat as the one in the bathroom was wet and still on the floor it was swiftly rectified and an apology given. (Hey...nobody's perfect and I could not fault anything else)
The bed was very comfy with a choice of soft, medium and firm pillows! (I actually slept right through the night which is rare for me so the bed must have been comfy!)
Breakfast was buffet style now favoured by most hotels and was of a good standard and all the dishes were constantly checked and filled up when required. If you leave hungry it's your own fault!
The staff were very helpful and cheerful and I/we will definitely use this hotel again and also recommend it to others.
Excellent price of £71.00 for a double room including breakfast!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
Paul B, General Manager at Holiday Inn Nottingham, responded to this review, July 12, 2013
Dear BikerG333,

Thank you for your feedback. Even though we cannot guarantee an early check-in we always do our best to ensure that we accommodate where possible and I’m really happy this was the case for you. We’ve received some very positive comments about our upgraded breakfast menu recently and I’m glad you enjoyed the offering.

Hopefully we’ll have the opportunity to welcome you back soon.

Wembley
Reviewed July 6, 2013

Having whittled down to a possibility of 3 hotels in Nottingham for this weekend. My only deciding factor was the other reviewers on Trip Advisor.
Was I disappointed, absolutely no way, I stayed at worse hotels with higher ratings than this one.
On arrival the reception and foyer was brilliant, signposted well and no confusion.
It was pleasing to look at and had a great warm cosy feel to it. Checking in was efficient although the charge of £50 on my card was something i am not comfortable with, as it means I have to make sure it has been refunded.
On to the room, which is the best bit, having requested a family room, i was presented with 2 double beds,and it was not a folding one, so result there.

The cleanliness and comfort was all there, and I cannot fault anything significant. So I say that this is a gem of a place, town centre not far at all (just over 2 miles) and a retail park next door which has a Sainsbury's with a petrol station, Pizza Hut, Harvester and Macdonalds. Which is just about what you need if you are travelling with kids.
So my advise book it its great, go with breakfast as it has a big choice

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Dear Chavda,

Thank you for your 5 star review! We work extremely hard to ensure that we maintain high standards across the whole hotel and it’s very comforting to read your feedback. We’re finding that lots of guests are pleasantly surprised when they get to their twin room and discover two double beds instead of two single beds. Our location is perfect for both families and corporate guests with the wide variety of food & shopping outlets nearby as well as our close proximity to the city centre. I would like to thank you for writing such a detailed and informative review and I hope we’ll have the opportunity to welcome you back soon.

Leicester, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 3, 2013

Me and my family stayed here for one night on 29th June for a family wedding. The room was lovely and clean, nice comfy bed. Only down side was the air conditioning, as we were on the top floor it was very warm and the air con did nothing to cool the room!

One thing i do want to mention is the wonderful staff. I dont think i have ever stayed in a hotel with such great staff. I rang up a few days in advance to ask if we could get in the room early as the weddding was early and Tyrone was extremely help and did everything he could to make sure the request was met. Arrived at the hotel at 10am and checked in straight away. Front desk staff with friendly on both check in and check out

Would recommend this hotel to anyone, just need the air con sorting.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
Paul B, General Manager at Holiday Inn Nottingham, responded to this review, July 5, 2013
Dear Kim W,

Thank you for your fantastic review. I sincerely apologise for any inconvenience caused by the air conditioning, I can confirm that we are currently investigating this area.
We really focus on developing our staff and providing them with the right tools to deliver great service and I’m really happy this has come across during your recent stay. Tyrone is a very valued member of the team and I’m sure he will be thrilled by your comments. I will ensure that your feedback is passed on to all of the staff.