“Promises a lot more than it delivers - on several fronts.”

Holiday Inn Nottingham
Ranked #16 of 49 Hotels in Nottingham
Rural Belgium
“Promises a lot more than it delivers - on several fronts.”
Reviewed October 21, 2012

Hardware is as expected from this place. Standard, nothing special. Location - too far from town to walk - taxis were between £ 6 and £ 8 (oct 2012), depending on destination or origin.

The place is let down by - frankly - the BS it serves, in several ways. Got a 'personal' letter, welcoming me as a ...... member, saying how delighted they are to welcome someone as important...... and how they were going to shower me with benefits......

First benefit - evening meal: had phoned IN ADVANCE to ask if they have 'any curry' on the menu. Got a positive reply. Checked in, and - again - got confirmation that I'd get my curry. Sat down in the restaurant - after a very frosty / mechanical welcome - to be told that there was 'no way' the Chef would ALLOW me to have a curry in the (almost empty) restaurant. I'd have to have it in some lounge (three feet away from my table) or in my room.....!!! Now guys, get your story straight - there are plenty of curry houses I could have stopped at, on my way to you, that would have saved me the time and expense of hopping in a cab (and back) and would have prevented you harming your credibility!!!

Second benefit - newspaper (ask what you want...). At check-in I asked for the Times. Received.... nothing. When I enquired at reception, I was told (without any apology) that I could have some other paper they get for all guests.... but not the Times.

Third benefit - breakfast. Ask (as I do in all / any hotels I stay in) for a double espresso. The reply I usually get is 'of course - I'll bring it...' - here I got a 'oh well, I suppose so' type response, followed by half a sip of weak coffee.... When I asked for a larger amount of esperesso in a bigger cup, my larger cup was filled with the same amount... half a sip. Just ended up asking for regular coffee, which was not very pleasant.

Fourth benefit - housekeeping staff. Several times they and their equipment blocked my way in corridors / lift / ..... all this during the 'peak morning rush' - there were plenty of other guests trying to manoevre around these obstacles, from my interpretation of body language, they were not enjoying this. The staff seemed totally oblivious to the idea that there might be some people in the property called "guests" who might need to get somewhere too.....

All in all, this is a place I shall give a wide berth on future visits to Nottingham.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Paul B, General Manager at Holiday Inn Nottingham, responded to this review, October 24, 2012
Dear Nossi

I am really very concerned to hear that you were so disappointed with your stay with us.

You are quite correct that although curry is on our Bar/Lounge and Room Service Menus it is not on our A la Carte Menu served in the Restaurant. However, I do think that the member of staff concerned could have made an exception for you, especially as you say the Restaurant was quite quiet at the time. A little more thought on our part, and the issue would not have arisen.

In relation to the espresso and newspaper, I have passed your comments on to our Restaurant and Front Office Managers and asked them to speak to their teams to re-iterate how important it is for us to get these types of requests right for our guests.

I am sorry to hear that you were inconvenienced by our Housekeeping Staff and their trolley’s. I do know they try their best to not inconvenience any of our guests but clearly on this occasion they have not paid sufficient attention to keeping their trolleys close to the corridor walls.

Please accept my sincere apologies for our failure to not deliver all that you quite rightly expected from us, and I understand how frustrating that can be, but I do hope that your experience here will not deter you from staying with Holiday Inns in the future.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (106)
  • Greek first
Nottingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 20, 2012

I had a fantastic time at the Holiday Inn. The attention to detail was exemplary; the room was clean, warm and welcoming. The menu had a fantastic choice to cater for all tastes, and the staff were polite, courteous and professional.

• Stayed September 2012
uk
Reviewed October 18, 2012

Stayed here a few times over the years most recently this week. Seemed more expensive this time but struggled to find any hotel in Nottingham.

Good location with a Sainsbury's over the road and McD's next door.

Rooms clean but OK, bathroom was a bit dated.

Never seem to get a platinum room upgrade at this hotel though, said there were no rooms available to upgrade to but there were when i checked on the website. Used to get a little bag of water and chocolate, never got that either! is this not a priority club perk anymore?

Great Yarmouth, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 4, 2012

I must admit to being booked into this hotel by my employer to attend a conference nearby. The hotel was comfortable and service good as you would expect from this chain. Sadly the restaurant and bar seemed to me to be overpriced (£7.50 for a double scotch?) especially as it is essentially on a retail park with competition close by. If you are on a budget then within spitting distance there is a Brewers Fayre, a Harvester and a Hungry Horse (the 9 oz steak was excellent for a tenner). and Sainsbury opposite. And the canal basin nearby is very pleasant. Can not fault the hotel but suggest look around for eating ideas. Ther is always a cab into the centre for .more options.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Paul B, General Manager at Holiday Inn Nottingham, responded to this review, October 16, 2012
Dear Phillip g

Thank you for your kind comments following your recent stay with us.

I hope that if you stay with us again you will be able to take the opportunity to try our Chef’s Special Three Course Menu at £16.95 which is excellent value. I am certain you will not be disappointed with the quality of the freshly prepared seasonal dishes available in Eaton's Brasserie.

Reviewed September 28, 2012

First time here, staff all friendly & helpful which is particularly necessary when you have two children in wheelchairs. Made the couple of days of hospital appointments more pleasurable by having somewhere so nice to stay. Breakfast was lovely & everywhere spotless. Only niggle was no free Wi-fi, even just for a short period. £7.50 for 24 hours so had to do without Facebook. Would certainly hope to use this hotel again when coming back for more hospital appointments.

Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Dear Joy F

Thank you for your kind comments following your recent stay with us, I hope the children enjoyed staying with us too!

Although we make a charge for Wi-Fi in our bedrooms , we do offer free Wi-Fi in our Bar/Restaurant area during the day - between 10.30am and 4.00pm - we also have a PC in our Lobby which offers free internet access 24 hours a day, and I hope you will be able to make use of these facilities on your next stay with us.

I look forward to welcoming you back.

Aberdeen
Reviewed September 24, 2012

As usual - have stayed here many times - the hotel was absolutely what was expected! Good room, good food and excellent friendly service! It is well located for the City Centre or the railway station - a walk or taxi ride away - but has a feeling of calm, canalside, openess which is rare in a big city like Nottingham. Well located for links to the M1 and A1. The only improvement I'd make is to update the tv's in the rooms - they are a tad dated now, but I suspect that wouldn't improve the programmes!

Room Tip: Rooms at the back are always quieter but there's not much in it.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Dear Geoffrey B

Thank you for your kind comments following your recent stay with us.

I am delighted that our plans for the hotel included flat screen TV's for 2013. I certainly agree that our old TV's can make the whole room appear dated.

I look forward to welcoming you back to our hotel.

Derbyshire, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 17, 2012

This is an annual event now for us to visit Nottingham and meet family.However this year we held a reunion at the Holiday Inn.The evening was arranged by Isabella who booked us two suites,and arranged all the food and drinks,in liason with my wife.The evening was enjoyed by everyone,all commented on both the quality and quantity of the food,it would compare with any wedding reception.The staff are always helpful and many have been there for the 9 years we have used the Holiday Inn,always a good sign.We always have a ground floor executive room,we understand the bedrooms are to be upgraded with new TVs etc.The foyer is also being refurbished.Food both in the evening and at breakfast is good and Jack the head chef is prepared to provide additional items on request (fried bread being a personal favourite).Being on holiday we miss the early breakfast rush and the "mass booking out " but it always seems to go smoothly.The hotel is in walking distance of the Market Square but a taxi into town was only £6.20 for five,the bus would have been £5.00.Plenty of free parking.Thank you to Shirley,Jack,Isabella,Stanley,Emma,Kyle,Wayne,Jessica,Leanne and Diane and all other staff for attending to our every need so efficiently.Will return again next year.Wish all Holiday Inns were as good as Nottingham!!!!

Room Tip: Executive Room on the Ground Floor,so handy for all services.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear GwyneddPoshpaws

Thank you so much for your kind comments following your stay with us.

I have passed your comments on to all the team and they are delighted that you were so happy with your stay and the service you received.

We look forward to seeing you again in 2013.