“A great B&B but not 4star in my opinion”

The Yellow House Bed and Breakfast
The Yellow House Bed and Breakfast
Ranked #29 of 42 Nottingham B&B and Inns
Wokingham, United Kingdom
“A great B&B but not 4star in my opinion”
Reviewed May 5, 2014

Positives= very cosy bed, lovely linen, quiet and clean, fresh milk for tea in a little fridge in the room is a nice touch, off street parking for one car. Very reasonably priced
Negatives= two flights of stairs so not ideal if you have lots of luggage or wonky knees; ensuite is tiny so it is tricky to get in and out of the shower as handbasin is too close to the shower.The toilet is right under the slope of the roof so gentlemen will have to sit to wee or stand with arched back!? Landlady's dog is VERY friendly and while we like dogs I can imagine that many would find him overwhelming especially around the breakfast table which is in the kitchen.There is only one room available so you you get Suzanne's full attention. Downstairs smells of dog but the bedroom was fresh but a little dusty. Not the tidiest of guest houses I've stayed in but if you are looking for a "home from home feel" then it's fine. Curfew at midnight would not suit everyone either.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
3 Thank Clare J
josephineNottingham, Owner at The Yellow House Bed and Breakfast, responded to this review, May 6, 2014
I do find that some people are a little unfair - to complain about something which is clearly stated in the advertising; stairs lead to the loftroom, there is a dog, the ground floor is open plan etc.
I wash the dog's bedding and any rugs on the furniture very frequently so I know that it does not smell of dog! I try my best to be flexible and as helpful as possible, by replying to the booking immediately with an email that details the terms and conditions as it is a small B&B in my home which is different to a hotel. But if people choose not to read it - what more can I do?

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
Sheffield
Reviewed January 9, 2014

Lovely, cosy b&b with character.
Plenty of Parking, comfortable bed, clean bathroom, good breakfast and friendly, helpful host, warm. Located a little way out of the centre of town but with easy access to Sherwood which is a short drive away. Highly recommended.

• Stayed December 2013
josephineNottingham, Owner at The Yellow House Bed and Breakfast, responded to this review, March 14, 2014
Thank you for your kind words, it's really nice when all your effort is rewarded. Look forward to your next visit.
Rochester, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 22, 2013

Lots of plus points ! - Suzanne gave us very clear directions to her home and very clear description of what to expect. She was very welcoming and we enjoyed sitting on her sofa with a cup of tea when we first arrived. Suzanne was very helpful with her wealth of local knowledge. We slept very well and had excellent breakfasts with lots of choice and local jams, honey etc for good measure.
We parked our long-wheelbase campervan on Suzanne's drive which felt very secure.
Suzanne was also very accommodating about the length of our stay as right up until the last minute it was unclear how many nights we needed to stay. (We were helping our daughter move house around the corner)

Room Tip: There is just the one double room which is a clever attic conversion with en-suite, wardrobe, TV etc...
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Jon H
josephineNottingham, Owner at The Yellow House Bed and Breakfast, responded to this review, December 26, 2013
Thank you so much, I hope if your daughter's is full that you will visit me again or recommend to others, hope to see you again.
Lake Worth, Florida
Reviewed October 19, 2013

My husband and I stayed one night at the begining of our car trip to Scotland. We arrived in the evening jet lagged and hungry to a beautiful home in a quiet neighborhood. Our host was very friendly and helped us find a lovely place to eat. The room was super clean and comfortable and though the room is upstairs, it is not difficult to get to. Breakfast the next morning was fabulous! Delicious food! And we particularly enjoyed the happy conversation and loving dog. We so liked our stay that on our return trip south we stayed a second night. Thank you for very fond memories of our times with you. We will happily stay with you again!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Mary S
josephineNottingham, Owner at The Yellow House Bed and Breakfast, responded to this review, October 21, 2013
Thank you so much for your complements, I do try hard and it is so nice when someone tells the world, - so to speak. I hope you hop over the 'pond' again and manage to find the time to visit Nottingham again, we - that is , my dog and I, look forward to seeing you again.
Southampton, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 18, 2013 via mobile

I travel a lot on business and tend to book last minute.
I typed in the location of where I had a meeting on one of the search engines,and this B and B came up.
I had never used a B and B before and usually stay in hotels.
I decided to give this one a go and although a bit apprehensive to start with my concerns were gone the minute I got there.
Lovely room as good if not better than any hotel and an excellent breakfast. Will be staying there again.

Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Steve S
Thank you for your great review, - my motto is - I aim to please! glad that I seem to have done just that. Look forward to your next visit.
Reading, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 22, 2013 via mobile

We stayed one night whilst dropping our daughter off at university so we needed a quiet, comfortable b&q which this indeed was. The host is very welcoming and goes the extra mile to make you feel at home with great advice on where to eat that evening. I looked at some of the comments on trip advisor but to be fair the b&b add clearly states it's an upstairs room and she is quite open about the fact she has a (docile) dog. We were very relaxed about such things and so we enjoyed our stay very much and had a lovely breakfast. Thank you! Would stay again because the room was so clean and comfortable.

Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
josephineNottingham, Owner at The Yellow House Bed and Breakfast, responded to this review, September 24, 2013
Delighted to hear that the Yellow House was all you had hoped for and more. I do hope that you will visit when you come to see your daughter at university again, look forward to it.
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 4, 2013

There is just one letting room and it is in the loft. You will need to lug yourself and your baggage up two flights of quite steep stairs. The other negative is the so called bathroom which is rather minimal with a shower that needs some contortions to enter and exit. That aside, the room is clean and comfortable and quite adequate but not exceptional.

The owner is a very friendly lady with a dog. She clearly likes to chat with guests and if that suits you then its is fine. You need to like dogs as this one is definitely a feature of the household.

Having mentioned all the above, provided that these issues are acceptable to you then this is worth a visit but be aware of the constraints and then you won't be disappointed.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
josephineNottingham, Owner at The Yellow House Bed and Breakfast, responded to this review, September 5, 2013
Thank you for your review. I rather think that in the advertising it mentions that the room is in the loft, - which makes it the second floor. I have yet to find a loft downstairs! Also it states that there is a dog and as the ground floor is open plan you will see him.
I feel it is unfair to complain about something that has been openly stated in the advertising.
I try to be as helpful and hospitable as I can be, often I bend over backwards to arrange : coaches, taxis , dinner reservations and directions, and I have information on a lot of local events and shows, etc.