“We Keep Coming Back!”

Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
East Midlands
“We Keep Coming Back!”
Reviewed August 27, 2012

We have visited the Plough on a Friday/Saturday evening as well as on a Sunday for lunch. The food is always very good in taste and good value for money. I never fail to have a great meal. My only feedback would be that as a fish lover I would like to see a couple more options for non fried fish (poached or baked please) as the fish is always fresh and tasty, I would prefer a lighter option. The salads and veggies are plentiful with main courses, and the service is excellent.
The beer is very well kept by the team on the bar, I am guaranteed an excellent pint each time we visit. Wine choice also good to accompany the food. We will keep coming back as at The Plough you are guaranteed to have good food and drink in a beautiful country setting.
We have always found the staff to be excellent, and know the food on the menu very well.

• Visited August 2012

Melton Mowbray, United Kingdom
“Nice pub and good food, but......”
Reviewed August 22, 2012

We enjoyed Sunday lunch at the Plough recently. It's a lively, vibrant place and was busy even at 12:30 on a Sunday. We had a table in the main restaurant adjacent to the kitchen, which wasn't the nicest of locations due to staff going back and forth. The table felt a bit "sticky" like it hadn't been cleaned properly. The food was really good and made up for the things I've mentioned. That said, I probably wouldn't go back.

• Visited August 2012
1 Thank N0RWICH_LAD
Nottingham
“Beautiful setting for a country pub”
Reviewed July 18, 2012

The Plough has the feel of an old country pub which are unfortunately few and far between nowadays. There are two rooms for the bars and a large restaurant area to the side which has patio doors into the large, well laid out garden with covered seating area, children's play area & lawn.

The food is very basic and average. I ordered a starter of smoked salmon with a caper salad and horseradish sauce. It sounded quite interesting. Basically I was served a salad with capers in it & salmon which had been drizzled in the sauce. I don't think the mayonnaise sauce had seen any horseradish though! My main course was a plain sirloin steak. I asked for the chips to be removed and it just to be served with a salad. It came with a garnish salad anyway..... and that's all I got. Now in other pubs where I ask for this to be done they bulk up the salad as I'm not having the potatoes. The steak itself was very thin. I was not impressed. The lasagne my friend had was average.

I'd go back again as it's such a lovely pub. A few people I know have eaten the Sunday lunch there and say it's very good. Maybe that's what I'll try next time.

• Visited July 2012
1 Thank Georgie173
Nottingham, United Kingdom
“Proper pub”
Reviewed July 13, 2012

The Plough is a proper pub. It feels like a good old fashioned local, but folks actually seem to come from far afield to sample their delights.

The bar staff are great, even including the "one-off" landlady, Rach. The general decor is good and the restaurant nice and airy. The food is fabulous especially their steaks (cooked to perfection and the cuts are incredible). The food prices mean its not a once a week venue..but well worth it a visit on a regular basis like us!

Visited July 2012
1 Thank Kamili-Safaris
Nottingham, United Kingdom
“They've almost got it, but not quite....”
Reviewed June 22, 2012

Four of us went for an evening meal on a midweek night. Restaurant was pretty full which is a good sign. They've go the decor nice and cosy, the only thing I would say about the actual restaurant itself is that the place mats need a good clean, they were all a bit sticky.

Food wise - We were a bit disappointed with the starters. Portion sizes were extremely small. I had goats cheese toast to start which consisted off to miniscule bits of french bread with a teaspoon sized blob of goats cheese on each piece of bread (no exaggeration). My husband's pigeon starter was also extremely small. Prawn starter and soup were reasonable sizes but they need to match this up with the other starters. To be honest, we wouldnt waste our money on a starter again if we went back.

Main courses were good. I'm vegetarian and the choice isn't massive (they have 2 mains to choose from) and I chose the mushroom burger which was a satisfying size, it a little oily. The portion of chips could be bigger, I had a total of 12 chips with my main course. The other 3 people had steak, they all said it was nice but could do with more chips too.

Dessert - we had the malteser cheesecake which we thorough enjoyed and the portion size was huge!

I think they definately need to look at portion sizes and increase the starter size (especially the goatscheese toast and pigeon as we felt ripped off with having to pay for such small quantities), increase the amount of chips with main courses, come on, it doesn't cost a lot to fry a few more chips!

Drinks are reasonably priced, we had a bottle of Chardonnay just under £13 and it was served in an ice bucket which we thought was a nice touch. They also give you tap water on the table in a nice bottle too.

Service was really good for most of the evening. We had a young girl looking after us, she was like a litle butterfly fluttering around the table and seemed to know what she was doing. It was only at the end of the meal when it went a bit flat when it took over half an hour to catch a staff member's attention so that we could pay the bill.

All in all a decent pub, but we wont be buying a starter in there and will think twice about having a main course. As daft as it sounds, we may only pop in for the cheesecake as we think this was great value for money!

You almost have it though, you just need to tweek your portions and we will all be happy!

• Visited June 2012