“Shot in the Foot: Hospitality”
Review of Yiannis

Yiannis
Ranked #624 of 1,263 Restaurants in Nottingham
Cuisines: Greek
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Dinner, Lunch, Delivery, Reservations
Reviewed March 31, 2013

It's a good job this wasn't a special occasion visit. A table for two was booked at Yiannis in Beeston, to which we were seated immediately. Unfortunately they required the table back by a certain time, but this was fine by us...however, when the starter arrived faster than the speed of light it became clear they wanted us gone quickly. The table itself was rather intrusively neighbouring another for four; we were thankful it was empty for our stay or we might have received the impression it was a speed dating establishment rather than a restaurant. Upon the arrival of the mains, we noted that the lamb kleftiko had to be dug for by peeling back layers of foil...was the chef lazy or just concerned for the sustainability of heat on it's journey from oven to table? Either way, the presentation was less than favoured. Both portion sizes were on the small side and did not reflect their value well. There were hints towards digression from Greek authenticity in both meals: the moussaka sat upon a stream of tomato (salsa?) sauce whilst peas were integrated into the kleftiko - I wasn't aware Spanish and English cuisines were also to be expected. Dessert, however, was tasty.

The service we received might have saved the day were it amiable, but was in fact the icing on an already sour cake. Our main waiter delivered no communication, grunted at us, wore a face like a bee-stung pitbull and couldn't even face us directly when it came to payment. But friendly conversation with adjacent customers was no object, we noticed. He was also quick to present a Specials board to other tables; we had no idea this existed. Strangely, every other member of staff was lovely. Perhaps it was the fact that the two of us fell into a rather young age group (18-25)? Were we not expected to be familiar with proper restaurant decorum? Whatever the reason, we felt singled out, hungry upon departure and even somewhat judged.

So here is our judgement of Yiannis.

3  Thank Craxy
ioannisf50, Owner at Yiannis, responded to this reviewResponded May 10, 2013

The night in question was a busy Saturday night. We made this clear to you before you were seated (as you had not booked), and therefore you were in no doubt about the fact that the table was required back for 745. It was obviously your choice to have a three course meal in a short space of time. As your main course takes approx. 40 minutes to cook, your starter was sent down in good time to allow you time to eat it, and still be ready for the main dish to arrive at your table.
Some starters are prepared quickly, such as dips selections and halloumi cheese, and therefore we do not make the customers wait. We get it to the table so that you can enjoy it. You then ordered more drinks and desserts 15 minutes before the table was required back. At this point the waiter should have offered you the option of sitting in the bar area to have these. However, the waiter-Costas-was trying to offer you a great experience. Although this unfortunately lead to you feeling rushed. For which I apologise. I would add however that Costas remembered you, and enjoyed talking to you and was most upset about your comments about the service you received that night and also the food comments ,as when he enquired you did say that everything was very good.
I can assure you that you have a mixed clientele, and welcome customers of all ages, and as such your comment regarding this is unjust. In future, I would recommend you book your restaurants so that you have adequate time for the meal you wish to enjoy. Thank you for your comments.

Reviewed March 31, 2013

This is one of the best resturants ive eaten at! The food is delicious, the service is fantastic! I would definitely recommend going here! Thank you!

Reviewed March 21, 2013

We visited the Beeston Yannis early on a Wednesday evening. The best thing about the whole experience was the food. Authentic and tasty cuisine. However, the service was average and we were seated in the window and felt as though wwe were on show for all to see. A table of ten were booked in next to us and by the time we left we couldn't hear ourselves talk. I love Greek food, but I certainly won't be going back there. The overall experience is important to me and I left diappointed and frankly could have spent my hard-earned money somewhere else as the food and wine were certainly not cheap.

6  Thank Carol M
Reviewed March 17, 2013

As returning customers, we booked Yiannis in Sherwood with friends, for a special occasion meal and decided on the Fish Mezze for 2. This cost £47.

For this we each got: a small portion of dips, 1 small vine leaf, no aubergine salad, ½ a small salad, 2 mussels, 3 calamari rings, 2 prawns, ½ a salmon slice, ½ a small cold sardine fillet (absolutely unbelievable- we had to cut a sardine in half )!! , ½ a small fish fillet (again we had to cut it in half), no rice, lentils or vegetables, small of squares dessert,

No question that the food was fresh and tasted nice, but this is an absolute rip-off at £23.50 each. Our friends has the meat mezze and were similarly outraged when presented with dry meat kebabs with no sauces and a basket of McDonalds-type fries.

We left hungry and disappointed and will not return.

6  Thank Twonicemice
ioannisf50, Owner at Yiannis, responded to this reviewResponded March 19, 2013

We discussed your issues on the night and as a result of your totally unfounded criticism I offered you a sizable discount as a gesture of goodwill. I think you had misunderstood the concept of 'mezze', and believed it to be an all you can eat experience-which it is not. Nor were you offered the amount of food you state-the mezze is clearly outlined both online and in the menu and he food stated is provided, and then some.I am sorry, but not surprised given the manner in which you spoke to me, that you have had further need to complain.

Reviewed March 13, 2013

We went on Weds night o the Beeston Yannis, the place was quite busy, which is a good sign, though we surround by people from all sides , although there were empty tables. The restaurant itself is pleasant and service was fine, but the food quality!!!! I ordered Lamb in vine leaves with potatoes. The portion was very small, no vegs at all, just 8 pieces of potato wedges for the price of 14.50 . My friends ordered the same, we all had the same exclamation : is this all? Another friend ordered kebab with fries and salad, but was at least satisfying . The quality was also average, most probably not freshly cooked and hitted in the microwave. Didn't get the feeling of Greece, but wanted so much :( such a shame. Desserts were fine, but also not cheap. I don't think we come here again.

5  Thank Lena K
ioannisf50, Owner at Yiannis, responded to this reviewResponded March 19, 2013

The dishes we serve are fully detailed in the menu description and so I am surprised by your reaction to what you received. We served that dish to many other people that evening and the following evening and the feedback was always that the portion was too generous. If you felt it inadequate (as some people's appetites are obviously larger than others) then I am sorry you felt that you could not address it to a member of staff during your meal when we could have rectified the situation rather than comment through Trip Advsior. However, I take great exception to your comments regarding the food quality-all of our food is freshly cooked to order, something you will struggle to find when paying prices as reasonable as ours. How sad that you felt it nescessary to say that you would not return and you had had only tried one dish where you obviously expected something different to the meal described.